chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
Please file an online NHTSA complaint if you live in the US.

I am coming from a Taycan and your story reminds me the software problems I and many other Taycans owners had with cars losing automotive power while driving and a reboot 20 mins later would fix it. First there were a few reports in the forums and a few NHTSA complaints but then over a couple of weeks the reported incidents multiplied. It turned out it was a bug introduced into a software update (WMA5/6). The complaints got investigated by NHTSA and finally Porsche issued a recall.

If I was you, I would not accept the car back unless they provide clear explanation of the fix they applied to resolve the issue. If they say they did not find anything and it was just a glitch, it might happen again and you will be scared to drive your car. Until the recall I was driving my Taycan at the slowest rightmost highway lane to be able to get to the side shoulder if it lost power. It totally ruin3the experience.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Unexplainedbacon

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT hopeful
Country flag
Such a weird thing that all these EV’s from various brands have software crashes and similar issues. My home computer and even cell phone are high tech and rarely if ever crash, and they have all kinds of random software on them.

I test drove an XC40 Recharge (awesome) and the UI crashed. I was in the car less than 10 minutes.

You’d this a purpose built system for a car would be reliable.

JeffGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD ext range
Country flag
Please file an online NHTSA complaint if you live in the US.

I am coming from a Taycan and your story reminds me the software problems I and many other Taycans owners had with cars losing automotive power while driving and a reboot 20 mins later would fix it. First there were a few reports in the forums and a few NHTSA complaints but then over a couple of weeks the reported incidents multiplied. It turned out it was a bug introduced into a software update (WMA5/6). The complaints got investigated by NHTSA and finally Porsche issued a recall.

If I was you, I would not accept the car back unless they provide clear explanation of the fix they applied to resolve the issue. If they say they did not find anything and it was just a glitch, it might happen again and you will be scared to drive your car. Until the recall I was driving my Taycan at the slowest rightmost highway lane to be able to get to the side shoulder if it lost power. It totally ruin3the experience.
100%. I have filed an NHTSA complaint and I will not accept the car back without an explanation. I have little faith in the dealer process - clear the faults, run self-check, all good. In WA state, the second failure of a safety issue comes under the Lemon Law - clearly the case here as I was just entering an intersection and could no longer move. If I had been on a highway, who knows what could have happened.

MattE

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD
This happened to me today for the second time. First time was at ~2000 miles and second was at ~4000. Exact same scenario both times. Slowing to a stop (gently) when the chattering begins, sounds like it's coming from the rear motors. Then locked up with the faults and stuck in the lane of traffic / intersection. At least this time I knew to leave it powered off for a couple minutes to clear the errors. Then I was able to restart it and continue the drive. One-pedal driving was on (always!).

The first time the dealer did what Ford asked them to. They replugged a few harnesses and drove it around on several consecutive days to try to reproduce. It only happens once in 2000 miles, how are they going to reproduce that?!! I eventually took the car back, 2 months later it happened again. I've filed 2 reports with NHTSA.

Love this car but this reliability and repair experience has been terrible. Add to this that the dealers can have 2 week waits for Mach-E appointments AND now they're no longer offering loaner cars!

OP
OP

marc-e

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
This happened to me today for the second time. First time was at ~2000 miles and second was at ~4000. Exact same scenario both times. Slowing to a stop (gently) when the chattering begins, sounds like it's coming from the rear motors. Then locked up with the faults and stuck in the lane of traffic / intersection. At least this time I knew to leave it powered off for a couple minutes to clear the errors. Then I was able to restart it and continue the drive. One-pedal driving was on (always!).

The first time the dealer did what Ford asked them to. They replugged a few harnesses and drove it around on several consecutive days to try to reproduce. It only happens once in 2000 miles, how are they going to reproduce that?!! I eventually took the car back, 2 months later it happened again. I've filed 2 reports with NHTSA.

Love this car but this reliability and repair experience has been terrible. Add to this that the dealers can have 2 week waits for Mach-E appointments AND now they're no longer offering loaner cars!
They eventually told me that they are aware of this rare condition occurring when cruise is on, 1PD is on, and you deactivate cruise via the steering wheel button while at low speeds. The workaround is to deactivate cruise by using the brake pedal instead of using the steering wheel button. When I was advised of this In December, they said a software update was supposedly coming out in January. Checked in with my dealer last week and still no update available. However, I've had no further issue since following their advice of only using the brake pedal to deactivate cruise. Hope maybe this helps you avoid the problem in the future!

MattE

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD
They eventually told me that they are aware of this rare condition occurring when cruise is on, 1PD is on, and you deactivate cruise via the steering wheel button while at low speeds. The workaround is to deactivate cruise by using the brake pedal instead of using the steering wheel button. When I was advised of this In December, they said a software update was supposedly coming out in January. Checked in with my dealer last week and still no update available. However, I've had no further issue since following their advice of only using the brake pedal to deactivate cruise. Hope maybe this helps you avoid the problem in the future!
That fits my situation exactly. I was definitely in one pedal drive and had just canceled cruise control both times this occurred. Thanks for the tip and I will follow it, but it's very annoying. This is how I drive all the time, I probably hit that steering wheel button 25 times a day!

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
It's crazy there's no ota update for this failure yet

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Is it deactivate cruise by press the same button that you initially activate it with or the middle button on the rocker (same position as the “OK” button on the right side)?

MattE

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD
It is the middle button with the 'X' on it.

Update: visited the dealer and they applied TSB 21-2405. This is the GSM update for cars built before Sept 10. My window sticker says Sept. 14th. It might have already been in process and had an older version GSM. We'll see.
Sponsored