John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I REALLY wish they would stop using the term "self driving" although they clarify the meaning later it is still deceptive.

OP
OP

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
I REALLY wish they would stop using the term "self driving" although they clarify the meaning later it is still deceptive.
Blame the engineer who said he could do it and the media took it and ran with it.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Off hand I'd say tesla's Model Y quality control is still slightly amiss:

https://jalopnik.com/brand-new-tesla-model-ys-roof-flies-off-on-first-drive-1845275335

Brand-New Tesla Model Y's Roof Flies Off On First Drive Home

Jason Torchinsky
13 minutes ago
•
Filed to:TESLA
https://jalopnik.com/brand-new-tesla-model-ys-roof-flies-off-on-first-drive-1845275335#replies

Graphic: Jason Torchinsky/Tesla/Twitter
I know we’ve covered Tesla’s chronic quality control issues here before, and I realize that among hardcore Tesla-stans this may feel like we’re picking on Tesla unfairly but in our defense, Tesla really does have some terrible quality issues. Sometimes we get a really dramatic and baffling issue, like this one where the fucking roof flew off a brand-new Model Y while the car was being driven home. Yes. The roof flew off.

The Model Y in question was bought by the dad of the person who reported the issue and was corroborated with this remarkable video of Tesla’s new Instant, Unplanned Convertible feature:

The person in the car, Nathaniel, also posted to Reddit’s Tesla Lounge sub-reddit:

My dad bought a brand new model Y today, and he brought me along to pick it up just in case he needed help with any tech problems. Everything was going fine and we were driving back home when we started to hear a ton of wind. I thought maybe a window was open but a minute later the entire glass roof just blew off. After a brief panic we turned around and drove the new Tesla convertible back to the dealership.
When we got back we called highway patrol to tell them that there was a car roof somewhere on the 580, but somebody might have gotten into an accident, I’m not sure. The manager at the dealership said that either the seal for the roof was faulty, or the factory just ... forgot to seal the roof on? I can’t imagine how something as big as the roof not being attached could make it past quality control. If this is a recurring problem a lot of people could get hurt. Has this ever happened before?
Yeah, this is, uh, this is bad.

Like many modern cars, the Model Y has a large glass panoramic sunroof, which is composed of the whole non-stressed roof panel being made of glass. When it’s in place and not setting itself free on the highway, it is very appealing, as you can see here:

Lovely. And, open roofs are great! If the Model Y came with a roll-back canvas roof like an old Le Car, that’d be fantastic.
But, I think the key here though is all about intent. As a car owner, it’s really up to you to decide when the roof should open, not some worker at the factory who forgot to seal your roof on.
These big glass panels are usually held on with industrial adhesives, usually a urethane sealant, and you can tell where these sealants are on your car because they’re hidden by frit bands. It seems that at the Tesla factory, something was either wrong with the sealant, the application, or both.
Also, the big panel of glass probably shouldn’t launch itself onto the road at random, into traffic. But I’m kind of old-school that way.
As usual, we reached out to Tesla for comment, and, as usual, we’ll hear nothing back. Because we never do.
Jason Torchinsky
Senior Editor, Jalopnik • Running: 1973 VW Beetle, 2006 Scion xB, 1990 Nissan Pao, 1991 Yugo GV Plus, 2020 Changli EV • Not-so-running: 1973 Reliant Scimitar, 1977 Dodge Tioga RV (also, buy my book!)

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yowza. Clearly user error

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
The is the cargo space different between the Mach E select and Mach E premium? Larger battery pack?

OP
OP

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The is the cargo space different between the Mach E select and Mach E premium? Larger battery pack?
No. Battery back is the floor so no difference.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
It’s not driven by trim as much as by battery pack selection. Ford is listing slightly less cargo space for extended range battery than for standard battery.

Standard battery:
Cargo Space (Behind Rear Seat): 29.7 cu. ft./822 liters,
Cargo Space (Behind First Row): 59.7 cu. ft./1689 liters,
Front Trunk: 4.7 cu. ft./139.5 liters
Extended battery:
Cargo Space (Behind Rear Seat): 26.6 cu. ft.
Cargo Space (Behind First Row): 54.7 cu. ft.

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Expedition EL, 2012 Mustang GT, 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 13 year owner/operator 1983 DeLorean DMC-12 - sold Nov. 2014
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Please, someone on this forum has to be bookmarking these types of stories from Tesla because if ANYTHING similar happened to an "evil 'Legacy' automaker" it would be splattered all over the Tesla Love Forums as proof of how bad "Legacies" are but if it happens to Tesla, people look the other way.
So we need to be cataloging these stories!
Funny but dangerous and it would really make me angry if this happened to my new car... from any manufacturer.

OP
OP

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It’s not driven by trim as much as by battery pack selection. Ford is listing slightly less cargo space for extended range battery than for standard battery.

Standard battery:
Cargo Space (Behind Rear Seat): 29.7 cu. ft./822 liters,
Cargo Space (Behind First Row): 59.7 cu. ft./1689 liters,
Front Trunk: 4.7 cu. ft./139.5 liters
Extended battery:
Cargo Space (Behind Rear Seat): 26.6 cu. ft.
Cargo Space (Behind First Row): 54.7 cu. ft.
nvm i stand corrected. I guess they raise the floor an inch with the extended

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
It's the removable roof.....
look I said this on the dedicated roof thread but I'll repeat it here - the story is clearly wrong, because I was told repeatedly on here that the Mach-E has no technology advantages compared to any Tesla. That would cover roof sealant technology - therefore, this is fake news!

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
look I said this on the dedicated roof thread but I'll repeat it here - the story is clearly wrong, because I was told repeatedly on here that the Mach-E has no technology advantages compared to any Tesla. That would cover roof sealant technology - therefore, this is fake news!
Tesla Management response to the convertible Model Y:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Forbes MME vs Y nothing to see
Sponsored