MME vs. EV6

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
An '800V' battery is a bit of a red herring. The battery can accept a 220kW peak DC charge rate. Other EVs can do that without requiring a rare 800V DCFC station. The key is continuing a high charge rate without damaging the battery or significantly reducing its life. Most EVs fall well short of their pre-introduction DCFC rate claims, with software updates slowly increasing the allowed charge rate curve.

Decoupling the front motor is something to watch. The common configuration is a power efficient rear motor (e.g. permanent magnet / PMSR) and a low freewheel drag front motor (e.g. induction). Eliminating the front motor drag when unused plus using a more efficient motor could be worth the extra complexity and weight.
Seems like by mitigating heat losses and lower current, they can really take advantage with charging speeds.

I think 30 minutes 10% to 80% is becoming the consensus industry standard for an unremarkable recharge time on a 400v system. EV6 recharging in 18 minutes is a big deal and why for both high-mileage drivers and those worried about future relevance, the 42 minutes to 80% for the MME is a point of concern.

PTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT Launch Edition (European GT=GTPE)
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Think the tech in EV6 GT tech is really interesting. Looks is ”acquired taste” at best. Feedback from reviews so far is great.

Will test a basic version on Monday to see how it is. Will also ask the dealer for additional information whether the power promised is ”boost /peak” or really usable when needed. Saw the 10sec boost button on GV60.

All these are better than Ford’s: AR hud, 800V, +100kW charging speed with good curve, Meridian sound system, V2L capability, +100hp, cooled seats, infotainment system, 7year guarantee etc. For a nerd all this is very tempting. Only reason I have not cancelled yet is the availability of Q4/2022…

Really annoyed by the Bose sound system sub-par performance, Peak vs. usable power (read: basic model with short boost) and how they concealed this information, how they treat issues like buzzing noise in instrument cluster.

Still not decided if I should cancel and wait TBH. Also 1st year car value drops a LOT so trading later is…expensive
Coming back to this now that I have test-driven the RWD version.
Pros:
- The car was better looking live than in photos
- There was plenty of space on the back seat
Cons:
- Heatpump didn't work so it was cold (of course this will be fixed for the specific vehicle - but please do note, that Kia has bugs and problems just as Ford and others..)
- Drivers position felt "crammed" and the infotainment system was not as good as expected. The screen resolution and responsiviness was worse than Polestar2 or MME.
- Driving and handling (on studded winter tires) was also dissapointting, again Polestar2 and MME much better in MY opinion

All in all I'd summarize, that it felt like a new and improved Kia - not a level up as advertised and claimed. That's not bad of course, but this means it also did not meet my expectations - thus will no longer consider it an option for now.

EV6 GT version is still so far away from reality, that the dealership could not answer any of my questions.

OP
OP
voxel

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
- Driving and handling (on studded winter tires) was also dissapointting, again Polestar2 and MME much better in MY opinion

EV6 GT version is still so far away from reality, that the dealership could not answer any of my questions.
Sounds disappointing but since I'm only interested in the GT (highest trim) and the RWD version you drove is basically a base model MME Select RWD (even same price) - I will can until 2023.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
Coming back to this now that I have test-driven the RWD version.
Pros:
- The car was better looking live than in photos
- There was plenty of space on the back seat
Cons:
- Heatpump didn't work so it was cold (of course this will be fixed for the specific vehicle - but please do note, that Kia has bugs and problems just as Ford and others..)
- Drivers position felt "crammed" and the infotainment system was not as good as expected. The screen resolution and responsiviness was worse than Polestar2 or MME.

All in all I'd summarize, that it felt like a new and improved Kia - not a level up as advertised and claimed. That's not bad of course, but this means it also did not meet my expectations - thus will no longer consider it an option for now.

PTR when you say crammed would you please expound on that? I'm 6'4" (190#) and wonder about the headroom in the front seats. Thanks.

lawman1108

First Name
Pmac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME, 2015 Ford Exp sport, Audi TT quarto 6sp
Country flag

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
I cancelled a TESLA M3 for the MME, I started looking around because Hyundai had Ioniq 5 on the lot (dash is awful) & went to look at the EV6 Wind (48k MSRP) was listed 6k OVER then when I called they told me an extra $8,999 dollars was added. I went nuts LOL Sansone Kia Neptune NJ ...That car isn't THAT good
I was considering an EV6 until I saw some pics on the EV6 owner's forum of rust in an EV5 that was 6 mo old and the poster said Kia isn't doing anything about it. Wow.

Edit: OK I went to see an EV6 GT line this morning as the Paso Robles Kia had one in the showroom that a customer had decided not to get. Here are my impressions.

1. The interior is much more "snug" compared to the MME or our MY. I've got "just" enough headroom and my hair just brushes the roof on the edge of the sunroof (I'm 6'4") and the legroom was sufficient.

2. The dash and instrument clusters are more traditional car-like and neither offensive nor inoffensive.

3. The hood slopes down sharply and from where I sat with the seat all the way down and back the sales manager put his hand at the front of the car and it was a good foot farther forward than I could see. That's a negative for me.

4. There is no frunk or one that could carry anything. Similarly the area behind the rear seats is small and there's no under deck storage.

5. Styling is a matter of personal preference. To me it's OK but I don't care for the rear end. The Mach e is much more stylish IMHO.

6. Color options are fairly limited and as we already have a red MY and a blue Volt I didn't want to do those colors again even though we'll sell the Volt. Their Yacht Blue is a dead ringer for the blue in our Volt and quite a bit darker than the Grabber Blue I have on order.

7. And finally, no 240v charger? Say what?

During the drive home I thought about it and concluded that I'm going to stick with the Mach e Premium. It doesn't hurt though "to look over the fence" to see what else is out there.
Sponsored

Last edited: