Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
You’ll have to excuse me if I don’t take my car buying advice from a biased finance magazine.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Off hand I'd say tesla's Model Y quality control is still slightly amiss:

https://jalopnik.com/brand-new-tesla-model-ys-roof-flies-off-on-first-drive-1845275335

Brand-New Tesla Model Y's Roof Flies Off On First Drive Home

Jason Torchinsky
13 minutes ago

Filed to:TESLA
https://jalopnik.com/brand-new-tesla-model-ys-roof-flies-off-on-first-drive-1845275335#replies

Graphic: Jason Torchinsky/Tesla/Twitter
I know we’ve covered Tesla’s chronic quality control issues here before, and I realize that among hardcore Tesla-stans this may feel like we’re picking on Tesla unfairly but in our defense, Tesla really does have some terrible quality issues. Sometimes we get a really dramatic and baffling issue, like this one where the fucking roof flew off a brand-new Model Y while the car was being driven home. Yes. The roof flew off.

The Model Y in question was bought by the dad of the person who reported the issue and was corroborated with this remarkable video of Tesla’s new Instant, Unplanned Convertible feature:

The person in the car, Nathaniel, also posted to Reddit’s Tesla Lounge sub-reddit:

Yeah, this is, uh, this is bad.

Like many modern cars, the Model Y has a large glass panoramic sunroof, which is composed of the whole non-stressed roof panel being made of glass. When it’s in place and not setting itself free on the highway, it is very appealing, as you can see here:

Lovely. And, open roofs are great! If the Model Y came with a roll-back canvas roof like an old Le Car, that’d be fantastic.
But, I think the key here though is all about intent. As a car owner, it’s really up to you to decide when the roof should open, not some worker at the factory who forgot to seal your roof on.
These big glass panels are usually held on with industrial adhesives, usually a urethane sealant, and you can tell where these sealants are on your car because they’re hidden by frit bands. It seems that at the Tesla factory, something was either wrong with the sealant, the application, or both.
Also, the big panel of glass probably shouldn’t launch itself onto the road at random, into traffic. But I’m kind of old-school that way.
As usual, we reached out to Tesla for comment, and, as usual, we’ll hear nothing back. Because we never do.
Jason Torchinsky
Senior Editor, Jalopnik • Running: 1973 VW Beetle, 2006 Scion xB, 1990 Nissan Pao, 1991 Yugo GV Plus, 2020 Changli EV • Not-so-running: 1973 Reliant Scimitar, 1977 Dodge Tioga RV (also, buy my book!)
When the owner returned to the Tesla Service Center they learned he had not paid for the convertible option and promptly charged him another $2K.

OP
OP

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
When the owner returned to the Tesla Service Center they learned he had not paid for the convertible option and promptly charged him another $2K.
You joke but this happened to the owner of a Model X where a strip of glass flew off the roof. They told the owner it was normal wear and tear and gave him a quote of 2200$. seriously no joke.

OP
OP

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
You joke but this happened to the owner of a Model X where a strip of glass flew off the roof. They told the owner it was normal wear and tear and gave him a quote of 2200$. seriously no joke.
https://insideevs.com/news/444149/tesla-model-x-loses-roof/

"The worst part is that Nicholas says he tried to get that part fixed under warranty, but his Tesla Service Center said that was “normal wear and tear,” as you can see below. Not before asking him $2,200 for a new rubber seal. You can see below he is not happy about that."

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Nothing really groundbreaking but at least the word is spreading.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brooke...-y-vs-ford-mustang-mach-e---post-price-drops/
The author has forgotten that the Mustang Mach-E is qualified for the full $7,500 tax (or lease) rebate while the Tesla Model Y doesn't. That alone is a big reason many here who quality are buying the Mach-E instead of the Model Y (I don't because I never paid Federal taxes). And the issue of quality build and available local servicing are more reasons in favor of the Mach-E, especially in my case, where I have two Ford dealers close to my home (I can actually walk to the closest one) while Tesla has yet to open up the first service shop (the local Tesla Club Facebook pages describes their multiple requests with no responses).

So if that author deducts the tax rebate from the Mach-E prices, the Model Y is less attractive to buy because only a racing nut will decide to pay more just for a second faster 0-60 time.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
The author has forgotten that the Mustang Mach-E is qualified for the full $7,500 tax (or lease) rebate while the Tesla Model Y doesn't. That alone is a big reason many here who quality are buying the Mach-E instead of the Model Y (I don't because I never paid Federal taxes). And the issue of quality build and available local servicing are more reasons in favor of the Mach-E, especially in my case, where I have two Ford dealers close to my home (I can actually walk to the closest one) while Tesla has yet to open up the first service shop (the local Tesla Club Facebook pages describes their multiple requests with no responses).

So if that author deducts the tax rebate from the Mach-E prices, the Model Y is less attractive to buy because only a racing nut will decide to pay more just for a second faster 0-60 time.
The tax is definitely a plus. I wouldn't value it at $7500 because of the inconvenience factor, not everyone qualifies, etc... but it is significant. I am sure Ford took that into account when pricing and they will likely lower the prices some (not the whole 7500, and maybe with incentives like the Bolt) when it goes away.

I'm not a racing nut, but willing to pay more for a second faster (or even 0.1 second) 0-60 time. As to how much, I can't really say without looking at other details, and it's certainly decreasing amount I would be willing to pay the further below 6 seconds. The VW ID.4 is a non started for me because of it's 8.5 0-60.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
The tax is definitely a plus. I wouldn't value it at $7500 because of the inconvenience factor, not everyone qualifies, etc... but it is significant. I am sure Ford took that into account when pricing and they will likely lower the prices some (not the whole 7500, and maybe with incentives like the Bolt) when it goes away.

I'm not a racing nut, but willing to pay more for a second faster (or even 0.1 second) 0-60 time. As to how much, I can't really say without looking at other details, and it's certainly decreasing amount I would be willing to pay the further below 6 seconds. The VW ID.4 is a non started for me because of it's 8.5 0-60.
If you are williing to pay for the faster acceleration, just get a better Mach-E, not a Model y.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
and they would be hurting if they planned that for 2020 and can't get the vehicle until 2021...

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you are williing to pay for the faster acceleration, just get a better Mach-E, not a Model y.
Already planning to get Ford because of the closer service centers, and build quality concerns of y. Also planning on better Mach-E because of AWD and range, the 0-60 is a bonus. Haven't ruled out Model Y as a plan B if test drive doesn't go well. That said, I don't see the Model Y being significantly better in the areas I might decide against a Mach E. (So probably have to fall back to a PHEV or wait for a 2022 something if the Mach E doesn't work out).

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, but they get stuck with an extra $7500 they have to pay on taxes, and if they didn't save that money and spent it instead.... As long as you plan for that or can easily pay that, not an issue.

and there can be fines for withdrawing too much during the year. Just saying the hassles can be worse than the benefit of withholding during the year if things don't work out.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Yes, but they get stuck with an extra $7500 they have to pay on taxes, and if they didn't save that money and spent it instead.... As long as you plan for that or can easily pay that, not an issue.

and there can be fines for withdrawing too much during the year. Just saying the hassles can be worse than the benefit of withholding during the year if things don't work out.
If you don't have $7500 laying around you should not be considering the MY or MME