Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Unless I’m missing something, and I quite possibly am, it says ”Participating EV customers…” no? Just trying to figure out why a lot of us are freaking out if you have to opt in! 😂🤷‍♂️
Because that’s how it starts. First you volun-teer. Then you’re Volun-told. Then they finally drop the charade and just mandate it.
Sponsored

corradoborg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium AWD SR
Country flag
Because that’s how it starts. First you volun-teer. Then you’re Volun-told. Then they finally drop the charade and just mandate it.
The hand-wringing in this thread about a nongovernmental, opt-in program that may never even come to fruition is palpable. If you guys put as much energy into the grid as you put into worrying there would be no need to get it from your cars. 😂

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Unless I’m missing something, and I quite possibly am, it says ”Participating EV customers…” no? Just trying to figure out why a lot of us are freaking out if you have to opt in! 😂🤷‍♂️
The same way we "participate" in utility junk fees?

jpiazza67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium x
Country flag
The government wants to know WHEN and WHERE you charge to track you and control when you charge ie. you can charge only when there is more renewable energy on the grid (daytime.)
Big brother! Siri and Alexa are already spying on us 😬

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
So...we charge our cars at non-peak times for x cents a kwh. Then the utility can suck it back out at peak hours and only pay us wholesale price for the power they take just like solar cells. This is just the greedy getting greedier. The consumer gets the shaft again.

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 SelectMachE4 SR , Mini SE
Occupation
retired, Construction Mechanic, Refrigeration tech, Ford, GMC, Chevy tech,
Country flag
really? Many people I know on APS that got ‘free’ Nest thermostats were
Loving the fact their houses were set to 85 when we had the month of 110+ every day. I’ll check on how many calls it took for them to over rode that free connected thermostat they opted into.
And that’s with us never hitting a brownout or the likes. That stupid ‘free smart thermostat’ was the discount they got to live uncomfortably through July.
So that's why National Grid is offering them at twenty some dollars?

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
These thermostats, and many EVSE's talk to the demand load system (I'm sure I messed the actual name up) so they can see and adjust the grid based on every metric of your usage and the combined. But they can also control your house for you. Typically an opt-in. Some times a forced Opt-in due to the fact you got the equipment.
If it's free, you're the product.
SRP gave me $250 back for my EVSE purchase, they've got to get something worth far more than $250 for that. I can't get the SRP rebate on the Emporia EVSE because it doesn't talk to SRP's demand system. I got the Tesla EVSE on that rebate, but they can't control it, yet. (Most anything 'smart' is only an API away from becoming controllable.)

Last edited:

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 SelectMachE4 SR , Mini SE
Occupation
retired, Construction Mechanic, Refrigeration tech, Ford, GMC, Chevy tech,
Country flag
Big brother! Siri and Alexa are already spying on us 😬
So are all the connected cars. It started with GM's On-Star safety system. They make a lot of money selling the data.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
- Frank Zappa

However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.
- Stanley Kubrick
“Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.”

Ian Malcolm, Chaotician

dj_stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium -> 2023 GTPE
Country flag
Hilarious 😂 you think this will be opt-in. It’ll be opt in as much as TOU plans are. Caveat is in some places like upstate New York and Canada, TOU plans ACTUALLY are cheaper as was intended, but good luck in California.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
35ddd1c5b34f1368483ed4cd90b96586.jpg

Mach-E Forum Member (the cat). And the guy too.

corradoborg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium AWD SR
Country flag
Hilarious 😂 you think this will be opt-in. It’ll be opt in as much as TOU plans are. Caveat is in some places like upstate New York and Canada, TOU plans ACTUALLY are cheaper as was intended, but good luck in California.
Californian here. TOU plans have always been optional. It was never even suggested to me that I change to TOU, let alone pressured or forced. I did elect on my own to go to TOU shortly after I got the Mach-E, and it is indeed cheaper than my previous tiered rate.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Okay, cool. I'm all about choice. But while we're on the subject of addressing the grid, Infrastructure, and the overall need to make EV ownership a better and more viable option for those who choose this particular method of transportation, what is a proposal that addresses these needs that is kosher in the minds of those who oppose pretty much everything that's been suggested to date?

Is there a plan at all? I'm incredibly frustrated at the basic inclination to just fight everything and have no other alternative. Doing nothing isn't an option.
Ah, the solution is so easy, but you will hate it.

Eliminate the regulations that keep power companies from investing in infrastructure. Eliminate regulations that are shutting down coal plants and other petrol run power plants. Open up vast amounts of federal land for fossil fuel exploration and extraction, so we can get more oil and more natural gas. Make energy so freaking cheap, it costs just pennies to drive our awesome electric cars. Release the free market to innovate by getting government out of the way.

How is that?

MarkP213

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X Premium, Infinite Blue
Country flag
Specifically states: “Participating EV customers…” To me, that’s opt in. And yes, we have choices here in California as to what if any TOU works for us (at least in my area). Plus I’m on Solar and battery storage, so I can keep all my power for myself if I choose.