Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am in the process of installing a 240 outlet in my garage. I will be using the recommended 14-50 outlet. My question, its very hard to plug and unplug the Ford Mobile charger each time I charge my Mach e. Do I just leave the Ford Mobile charger plugged into the 240 outlet all the time or do I have to unplug it each charging cycle? If I leave it plugged in, does it draw current? Hence, my electric bill goes up.

Thanks
Sponsored

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
Leave it plugged in to the outlet. It wonā€™t draw a significant current if the car isnā€™t charging or if itā€™s not plugged into the car.

OP
OP
Ponypower50

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks,

Samfunny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Although intended to be "mobile," the Ford Mobile Charger 240v plug requires more force to install and remove from the outlet than a regular ol' 120v plug, so you're not crazy. I consider the extra removal force a necessary design feature of the 240v plug because of the high voltage. Just be real CAREFULL when unplugging it to NOT touch the metal prongs. ;-)

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
Although intended to be "mobile," the Ford Mobile Charger 240v plug requires more force to install and remove from the outlet than a regular ol' 120v plug, so you're not crazy. I consider the extra removal force a necessary design feature of the 240v plug because of the high voltage. Just be real CAREFULL when unplugging it to NOT touch the metal prongs. ;-)
Why not just get a third-party charger and leave it plugged in? That's what I did. Keep the other in the car for emergencies. I think the more you plug and un plug a 240V is not a good thing.

Samfunny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Why not just get a third-party charger and leave it plugged in? That's what I did. Keep the other in the car for emergencies. I think the more you plug and un plug a 240V is not a good thing.
Yes, in fact that's what I (and 99% of people) do. I leave it plugged in all the time. If I anticipate needing it for an overnight extended trip, then I'll unplug it.

@kWhpony

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Premium RWD ER
Occupation
Retired technology professional
Country flag
Yes, in fact that's what I (and 99% of people) do. I leave it plugged in all the time. If I anticipate needing it for an overnight extended trip, then I'll unplug it.
Every situation is different. I plan to keep the Ford mobile charger in the car for road trips. That way I have a back up in case one of the fast charging sites is unavailable and I need to stop at an RV park for a partial charge to get to the next fast charging point.

I have already had the 50 amp circuit installed as well as the Grizzl-e charger so that I can charge at home a little faster with the 40 amp draw that it provides instead of merely the 32 amp from the Ford charger.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I would highly recommend you leave it plugged in or get a dedicated plug in unit to keep there.

Most 14-50 outlets aren't designed for constant plugging/unplugging - so over time could become damaged/etc.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
I have already had the 50 amp circuit installed as well as the Grizzl-e charger so that I can charge at home a little faster with the 40 amp draw that it provides instead of merely the 32 amp from the Ford charger.
I think you can dial back the Grizzl-e charger to draw fewer amps. If so you might want to do that if not pressed for time. You're charging will be more efficient and you'll use less electricity. Not a huge amount so not a big deal if you don't.

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
I will probably simply buy a second charging cord to leave in the car and leave the other plugged into the wall outlet.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
I would highly recommend you leave it plugged in or get a dedicated plug in unit to keep there.

Most 14-50 outlets aren't designed for constant plugging/unplugging - so over time could become damaged/etc.
Yes... if you are going to plug/unplug frequently, you need something like a Hubbell industrial grade receptacle. The $15 dollar one from Amazon is not going to cut it.

BillPitman

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Escape, ā€˜21 J2 Space White Mach e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am in the process of installing a 240 outlet in my garage. I will be using the recommended 14-50 outlet. My question, its very hard to plug and unplug the Ford Mobile charger each time I charge my Mach e. Do I just leave the Ford Mobile charger plugged into the 240 outlet all the time or do I have to unplug it each charging cycle? If I leave it plugged in, does it draw current? Hence, my electric bill goes up.

Thanks
Should have a dedicated breakerā€¦ā€¦.., just turn that off?! Bill
Sponsored