Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E - GT
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Mine didn't make it past the 1st power outage.
Sponsored

RVAtom

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I mostly agree with the OP here. I think the unit may work okay if used in very specific ways, but it cannot handle much abuse. I mounted mine upside down (with the nema 14-50 pointed down) so the cable to the J1772 came out of the top of the unit. I think the weight of the cable hanging down from the top of the unit is putting excess strain on its connections inside the unit, and causing my heat issues. Without destroying the unit to look inside I cannot confirm that, but I would suggest anyone who has mounted theres upside down like me may want to add more strain relief to the cable.

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
Will any EVSE last if kept outside in the elements? Even the Grizzle says it is water “resistant” not water proof. Does the J1772 spec say anything about waterproofing?
I wouldn't worry about "water resistance" vs "water proof" - officially the term is water resistance, and the extent to which a devise can withstand water ingress is a sliding scale from 0 to 9. The important bit of information is the IP rating. The first number represents the "solid particle" resistance (dust) and the second is the water resistance. With water ingress pressure is the enemy, but since normal rainfall is low pressure, it's not too challenging to make an enclosure "withstand the elements".

Interestingly I didn't see anything on the Grizzl-e site which mentioned an IP rating, not even in the User Manual.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Our Clipper Creek is in a covered carport, so it is somewhat sheltered but exposed to blowing rain and snow, freezing, heating, etc. here in Maryland. 4-1/2 years, multiple brief power outages. It's a "dumb" charger but I've never even had to reset it.

Ming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium SR RWD; 2022 Civic; Tesla MYP
Country flag
I got a Tesla wall connector after it's price dropped to $400. no more charge faults... I already have a tesla->J1772 adapter, so there's cheaper option than Grizzle and most other EVSE.

Richard L.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Agree with your assessment. Mine started overheating in less than 6 months. Had it replaced under warranty and keep it in the vehicle. Went with the JuiceBox 40. All is well.

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
Used mine for nine months on 110 volt without issue.

bolted to inside of carport (oops - the charger that is, not the car)

Last edited:

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
Since purchase more than one year ago, I charge at home most of the time using a 240 outlet with the charging chord that came with the car.
No issues, works well; no need to spend extra money.

jasonpel

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select
Country flag
Ford charger is 32amps. That grizzly is what 40? 50 amps? More amps means a larger conductor/cable.

But yeah, I'd put in a 50 amp permanent wall charger over using the mobile charger for everyday use.
I have that Grizzl-E, it has dip switches that let you select 16, 24, 32 or 48 amps. I have mine set to 24 and it takes about 3.5 hrs to charge from 55 to 90%.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
I have that Grizzl-E, it has dip switches that let you select 16, 24, 32 or 48 amps. I have mine set to 24 and it takes about 3.5 hrs to charge from 55 to 90%.
Assuming you just made a typo, but posting a correction so others don't get the wrong info.
The Grizzl-e dip switches only go up to 40A, which is the max for any device with a 14-50 plug.

jasonpel

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select
Country flag
Assuming you just made a typo, but posting a correction so others don't get the wrong info.
The Grizzl-e dip switches only go up to 40A, which is the max for any device with a 14-50 plug.
Correct! Typo victim

Ravensfan1996

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Had my Ford Charger mounted in the garage since i got my car last July. A few weeks ago like many, i started to get the yellow light on the charger, reducing the charge speed from 20mph to 10-14mph. Many others have reported this issue, all almost during the exact same time frame. I wonder my self if this is a defect after a certain time, but someone said they only the car 3 days and got the yellow light. I went ahead and bought a Wallpower box and its working fine and faster. Its compact and very light but has great reviews. I still want Ford to replace my charger for when on the road if needed.

z88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
I've been using the mobile charger for over a year as well and no issues... plug it in overnight once or twice a week and im good to go the next morning

Sam Hehn

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E e4
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I recently upgraded from a Siemens VersaCharge (~2012/13?) to a Grizzl-E Duo and have to admit I prefer the larger gauge cords. Although more easy to trip over, they are (or at least appear) much less likely to be damaged by falling objects, or being trampled on, etc.

As for bells and whistles, I do not know about that. The Duo only has a single status LED for both charging circuits, and not much else...unless you count the rubber connector boots to keep water out of the plugs. Does having an extremely quiet contactor count? The VersaCharge made a loud "thunk" when the contactor closed on it. The Duo has a barely audible "click".
I installed an Emporia 48 amp charger for under a thousand dollars all in. IAM extremely happy with it. Normally I only charge at 40 amps
Sponsored