Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Standard AWD Tech/Comfort
Occupation
Cyber Security, First Responder
Country flag
Non-Mach-E Story... but highlights one of my biggest fears with Ford.

We have a 2020 Ford Escape.

Live in NY where emission testing starts after the 2nd year (so year 3). This is our first year having to get an emission test which requires an ODB hookup to a state managed system.

The repair shop said they couldn't connect to the car and that they've seen this with Ford's before and "call ford"

Did some hunting and found a TSB around reprogramming the gateway module and that resolves everything.

Brought it to a dealership (who had not heard of this issue) and showed them the TSB (which they claim they couldn't find in Ford's system) but they went ahead with it anyway.

The car is 1k over the warranty... so dealer said that this isn't covered and we'd have to pay... (since we didn't need an emission test while under warranty, we didn't know of this issue!)

I argued that there is an 8 year emissions warranty on the car and the car cannot pass emission testing without this repair...

The kicker... the dealer agreed about the warranty, but said it only covers HARDWARE and does not cover software updates.

So as we get towards more and more software driven cars... are we really going to be "stuck" dealing with stuff like this? Is this a slick "out" of warranties that just haven't caught up to 2023 problems??

Really annoyed I had to pay ~$200 to pass my damn emission test due to a software bug!!!
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
2010 Fusion Hybrid. Out of warranty, throws a code. Basically, over temperature, but it isn’t, it's just that it needs a software update that is a TSB. Since it is out of warranty, $125 fee.

No new, not going away.

OP
OP

mikeinet

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Standard AWD Tech/Comfort
Occupation
Cyber Security, First Responder
Country flag
It's a fine line between a hardware "bug" and a software "bug" -- feel like times need to catch up

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Virginia just gave up on "emissions testing" EVs... good.

moparguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Miata, Mach E Select, Fusion
Country flag
People will find about this the hardway once these Mach Es are out of warranty and those long lists of software updates will cost a fortune to fix broken things.