TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
However if all you do is drive around town then it makes zero financial sense to even consider buying a BEV. The way to convert the mind set of BEV over ICE has zero to do with charging at home. It comes down to economics. Unless you drive say 20,000 plus miles a year the cost difference between ICE and BEV makes sense to stay with ICE I driver 25,000 miles a year in 2 separate cars. With me now comes the question of the price of gas versus electricity. Most of my charging will still be at home however I need to know that those few times that I need to charge are totally accessible. I am not talking time but I am talking just the concept of being able to pull off of the road and charge up for a reasonable price. If Ford and VW Evan change the mind set of Range Anxiety then BEV will totally dominate the market place.
If those around-town miles are low, then I agree. The usage that's the ideal fit for a BEV is a long daily commute. Like someone driving 100 miles round trip daily to work. A nightly charge at home every night with little-to-no retail charging, and 25k miles/year, is the perfect scenario for fuel cost savings differential.

But I disagree somewhat about BEVs dominating. The biggest factors for most mainstream buyers (beyond price) are practicality and convenience. It's not just range anxiety per se that's a drawback of BEVs, it's also slow retail charging times that are frankly a pain in the ass. A 20-40 minute charge time just won't sit well with most people. Meaning unless they have easy home charging, and can fit their daily miles into one easy home charge, then they're very unlikely to buy a BEV. No matter how new and cool it may be.

The difference between BEV buyers and ICE (or PHEV) buyers will be like the difference between sedan buyers and pickup buyers... It will be mostly dependent on their situation, and which is the better fit. That's why at least half of the car-buying market in the US will remain ICE (or PHEV), IMO.
Sponsored

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
If those around-town miles are low, then I agree. The usage that's the ideal fit for a BEV is a long daily commute. Like someone driving 100 miles round trip daily to work. A nightly charge at home every night with little-to-no retail charging, and 25k miles/year, is the perfect scenario for fuel cost savings differential.

But I disagree somewhat about BEVs dominating. The biggest factors for most mainstream buyers (beyond price) are practicality and convenience. It's not just range anxiety per se that's a drawback of BEVs, it's also slow retail charging times that are frankly a pain in the ass. A 20-40 minute charge time just won't sit well with most people. Meaning unless they have easy home charging, and can fit their daily miles into one easy home charge, then they're very unlikely to buy a BEV. No matter how new and cool it may be.

The difference between BEV buyers and ICE (or PHEV) buyers will be like the difference between sedan buyers and pickup buyers... It will be mostly dependent on their situation, and which is the better fit. That's why at least half of the car-buying market in the US will remain ICE (or PHEV), IMO.
Let’s have this same discussion say in 3 years.
We do agree on some points and disagree on others which is way cool. Thank you.