Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I was just looking at my cell data usage last month and noticed that FordPass was third on the list with 157 MB. While I realize that's not a lot in the grand scheme of things, that still seems excessively high for an app that I can't think of any reason that it could probably be using anything other than text-like commands to get status updates. I've also spent much more time at home than normal because of Covid so even under Wi-Fi it was 428 MB. Anyone else seeing such high data usage or can think of why it would be using so much data?

Ford Mustang Mach-E FordPass High Data Usage Screenshot_20210502-113753_Settings

Ford Mustang Mach-E FordPass High Data Usage Screenshot_20210502-114228_Settings

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
I've noticed that sometimes when I refresh with bad service this picture sometimes doesn't appear. So that makes me wonder if it's re-downloading that image every time it refreshes. That could make for excessive data use

Screenshot_20210502-103026_FordPass.jpg

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
517Mb in April. Nothing in March.
Wifi takes a lot more. And my third largest user of data.

BDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
I wouldn't be surprised if this was just a thin wrapper around web app, basically just loading web pages for each content screen (an easy way to get cross platform). If that is the case, it is certainly possible all the images are downloaded on every refresh. Even then it seems a bit excessive, but you never know how careful they are with image sizes ...
Sponsored