Frunk / Remote Start Questions (Answered)

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
The standard-sized toddler dummy may not fit in the Tesla frunks.
I assume they do since Teslas have an emergency release button in the frunk also. I don’t think it has anything to do with being airtight. Sedan trunks aren’t airtight, but they still have emergency release buttons. We don’t know why Tesla or Porsche don’t have this same regulatory issue because we still don’t know what the issue is. We can keep guessing, but that doesn’t really get us anywhere.
Sponsored

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
How hard could it possibly be to code the Frunk NOT to open unless in Park? Come on guys... I'm beginning to hate this Frunk.
Adding the code is easy, the problem is you have to test for absolutely every possible scenario where there could be an error in logic somewhere and make it so its allowed to open electronically even when it should not be allowed. Then when you find an error you have to change the code which may not be easy and test again.

It is also why it is going to take Ford literally 3+ months to fix the logic error in the DCFS to not cause it to error out erroneously. It's all about extreme testing to make sure it is safe and won't require a recall after the update - or break anything else.

I have experience working in engineering of consumer products that require extensive safety testing. It is amazing how you think something is perfect, then you give it to a consumer and they find a way to break the code because they don't understand how it works. Then you have to implement a fix for that.

Porsche also has front trunks btw. Loads of em.
My Cayman has a cavernous one, and while it is an electric release it has a manual latch you still have to move like a normal hood. I'm going to test drive a Taycan tomorrow - I'm not sure how that frunk works.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
No, there are others (I-Pace, E-Tron, etc). But most are smaller.
Then, my question stands: are all these other cars able to open their front trunks a small amount of the car is moving at 5 MPH and a larger amount of the car isn’t moving?
Also, this concept of opening the front trunk while the car is moving at any speed seems ... odd.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I certainly would want the code to have an "IF driving" in there too. I don't want to have the power go off and the brake kick on at 70mph.
Good point. I thought I caught that in the second IF statement, but it never hurts to be sure ?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Then, my question stands: are all these other cars able to open their front trunks a small amount of the car is moving at 5 MPH and a larger amount of the car isn’t moving?
Also, this concept of opening the front trunk while the car is moving at any speed seems ... odd.
I don’t know. But the Tesla forum linked in post #22 of this thread shows the frunk being unlatched by items in the frunk inadvertently hitting the emergency release button.
Sponsored