Frunk / Remote Start Questions (Answered)

Extortion

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E: Premium, ER, RWD
Country flag
Are there any other ways in opening the frunk aside from manually doing so on the driver's side? (Such as thru the app or the key?)

Also, can you remote start the car with the physical key? Or just the app?
Sponsored

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Are there any other ways in opening the frunk aside from manually doing so on the driver's side? (Such as thru the app or the key?)

Also, can you remote start the car with the physical key? Or just the app?
Nope. The mechanism for the frunk latch is basically the same as the hood latch on an Escape. Would be nice to be able to open it via Ford Pass (or Fob).

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

OP
OP
Extortion

Extortion

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Figured as such. Thanks all!

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Nope. The mechanism for the frunk latch is basically the same as the hood latch on an Escape. Would be nice to be able to open it via Ford Pass (or Fob).
Except they are hopeful that a regulatory hurdle is cleared and can do an OTA update to allow electronic opening such as using the phone.

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Except they are hopeful that a regulatory hurdle is cleared and can do an OTA update to allow electronic opening such as using the phone.
I believe a regulatory hurdle also has to do with why the dividers were added to the frunk

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I believe a regulatory hurdle also has to do with why the dividers were added to the frunk
Indirectly, yes. The regulatory issue is why all electronic methods for opening the frunk are disabled. Since this includes the emergency escape button, the divider was added to prevent a person from climbing in.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
The car IS equipped with the ability to open the frunk via the screen or the Ford Pass app.

Ford mentioned during one of their video interviews that they had to disable this (at least temporarily) ... something about a federal regulation. I don't know the details. But they said they were hopeful that they'd be able to re-enable it. They suggested that approval to re-enable might come early this year.

OP
OP
Extortion

Extortion

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What is the regulation? Not sure I understand how it's any different than having the ability to open the back trunk with the app

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
What is the regulation? Not sure I understand how it's any different than having the ability to open the back trunk with the app
I don't know the specific regulation in question, but the concern is that if the hood opens up while the vehicle is in motion that the wind would further lift it up and block the driver's view. While the trunk opening while in motion isn't great, it's not nearly the same impact as the hood.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Ford hasn't said, so we can only guess.
Yes we can thank Congress, whom specifies in 49 CFR § 571.113 - Standard No. 113; Hood latch system.
basically anything foreword of the windshield has extra regulations for the express purpose of not allowing it to block a drivers view if inadvertently released. Saving us from ourselves i guess! I can see the legal advisors at FORD being very vocal about the potential legal liability with the language as written. Hopefully they can deploy a failsafe workaround.

Reactions: UW2

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Yes we can thank Congress, whom specifies in 49 CFR § 571.113 - Standard No. 113; Hood latch system.
basically anything foreword of the windshield has extra regulations for the express purpose of not allowing it to block a drivers view if inadvertently released. Saving us from ourselves i guess!
Yeah, I have no doubt that it’s somehow related to that regulation. But we really don’t know what makes it any different than any other manufacturer that does allow electronic access (like Tesla).
Sponsored