Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Doing the math in Illinois, if you drive a 25MPG vehicle 12,000 miles per year, you will pay $244.80 in state motor fuel taxes. The BEV registration surcharge is $100 so I will come out ahead. We BEV owners do need to pay a share of infrastructure maintenance, it's just a question of how to do so equitably.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

SkyWalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang, Mach-E
Occupation
Network Engineer
Country flag
Doing the math in Illinois, if you drive a 25MPG vehicle 12,000 miles per year, you will pay $244.80 in state motor fuel taxes. The BEV registration surcharge is $100 so I will come out ahead. We BEV owners do need to pay a share of infrastructure maintenance, it's just a question of how to do so equitably.
Exactly. I’m all for paying my fair share but to make it more equitable I feel that GA should allow all non-commercial alternative fuel vehicles to access all toll roads and HOV as part of that fee. As others have stated, they only grant that if you buy the specialized tag which is another $70 and it doesn’t include all highways from my understanding. But it could be worse so I’ll suffer it for now and try to move my legislators.

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
Gas Tax in GA is .35 per gallon so quick (no coffee) math says 213/.35 = 608 gallons /52 Weeks = equivalent to paying for tax on 12 gallons a week for ICE.

Then for $55 more dollars you get the tag that gives you access to HOV - usually only good if you commute in and out of downtown :/
Another thing to consider is federal gas tax, which drives the math even further into reasonable territory

I do think they have to change this eventually, though. It's not fair for people who put 15,000 miles on their Model X driving all over the country to pay the same price as someone who has a Leaf and is only commuting from Sandy Springs to Alpharetta

SimS

First Name
Sim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Prius, F150
Country flag
This thread made me recall what I read over the weekend, VMT by the mile:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/tran.../electric-mileage-tax/?itid=hp-top-table-main

They've got to pay for the roads one way or another, someone just needs to come up with an equitable way to do it.
The article above stated that estimate just for tracking/collecting the tax is somewhere north of 15%.That doesn't sound even close to collecting the info from millions and millions of vehicles. I would think that some sort of flat tax be collected at vehicle registration time should be simpler. But I'm not a politician. Like mandating CAFE standards and charging a higher VMT rate for vehicles that get better MPG. Difficult to solve a problem with the same thinking that created it.

SimS

v8318cid

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MMe Prm. 4x , 19 Nissan Leaf, 22 GC 4xe
Occupation
Information Tech
Country flag
SC has similar fees. Hybrids pay $60, BEVs pay $120. Not sure exactly where this fee is added though. May be just at purchase, but it was originally sold as either annual, or bi-annual fee. Not sure I've paid it once yet, and I've owned several of these vehicles. Wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that a) SC charges annual property taxes on all tagged vehicles, and b) I already contribute a metric frig ton to the gas/fuel tax with my other vehicles.

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
The article above stated that estimate just for tracking/collecting the tax is somewhere north of 15%.That doesn't sound even close to collecting the info from millions and millions of vehicles. I would think that some sort of flat tax be collected at vehicle registration time should be simpler. But I'm not a politician. Like mandating CAFE standards and charging a higher VMT rate for vehicles that get better MPG. Difficult to solve a problem with the same thinking that created it.

SimS
Many states/metro areas already require regular yearly inspections for emissions and safety. Adding EVs back into the mix to get a simple odometer reading won't be that big of a burden

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
Many states/metro areas already require regular yearly inspections for emissions and safety. Adding EVs back into the mix to get a simple odometer reading won't be that big of a burden
Agreed. There are 13 states that do no testing of any kind, so they will either have to implement a system to track annual mileage, or just set whatever fees BEV owners will tolerate.

So the other 37 states could have an annual requirement for BEV's to have their odometer checked once a year. My podunk state does annual emissions tests ($20), and the test results and odometer reading go directly to Nevada DMV. Paying $10 to get my BEV odometer read once a year would not be a big burden.

But the need to charge BEV's for their share of road upkeep is a given, especially since I expect the percentage of BEV's on the road to increase significantly.

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
Agreed. There are 13 states that do no testing of any kind, so they will either have to implement a system to track annual mileage, or just set whatever fees BEV owners will tolerate.

So the other 37 states could have an annual requirement for BEV's to have their odometer checked once a year. My podunk state does annual emissions tests ($20), and the test results and odometer reading go directly to Nevada DMV. Paying $10 to get my BEV odometer read once a year would not be a big burden.

But the need to charge BEV's for their share of road upkeep is a given, especially since I expect the percentage of BEV's on the road to increase significantly.
It would also benefit gas car owners, because the fuel efficiency of your car determines how much you pay towards road maintenance. It's a good rough estimate, since bigger and heavier trucks are less fuel efficient, but it should be a formula based on the stress you put on the roads. So: weight + mileage = cost. Take the fuel completely out of it, regardless of gas or electric or hydrogen

SEH70

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE Performance ER
Country flag
Another thing to consider is federal gas tax, which drives the math even further into reasonable territory

I do think they have to change this eventually, though. It's not fair for people who put 15,000 miles on their Model X driving all over the country to pay the same price as someone who has a Leaf and is only commuting from Sandy Springs to Alpharetta
I’ll be commuting 12 miles a day so I feel ya.

kulaga

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium ER Grey, 2023 MME GT Black
Country flag
It's $200 a year in Ohio plus regular registration fees.

ElectrifyCLT

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT- Dark Matter Grey
Country flag
I'm generally OK with these things. SC didn't have a gas tax for years and finally put one in place to pay for roads.

Rough roads push people back into SUVs and Trucks. So in a way I see investing in infrastructure as a way to push people back in to more reasonably sized cars.

I'll gladly pay $200+ a year so long as I know that money is getting pumped back in to the infrastructure it's meant to pay for.
Sponsored