Dealer Doc Fee with Xplan in NC

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I was unable to convince them. I sent them the X Plan document and showed them this thread as well as where it said the fee was max at $100. They just basically came back and said "no". I decided to just swallow it. The rest of the experience was good and they did honor the X-Plan discounts (except for maybe this dealer fee) and they did not charge ADM, so I accepted it.
I guess you could contact Ford and ask them to instruct your dealer to refund what they overcharged you.
Sponsored

kd-

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(Pending) Mach-E Premium
Country flag
I did exactly this and was told "Does not apply in NC." - which seems patently wrong to me, but not sure I am ready to blow up this deal over it.

I guess you could contact Ford and ask them to instruct your dealer to refund what they overcharged you.
Do you think this would work / anyone here tried this? I reached out to Ford on Twitter, but haven't gotten anything back yet.

kd-

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(Pending) Mach-E Premium
Country flag
OK, I just got off the phone with someone from the X-Plan program.

Apparently, NC is the only state where the dealer can pocket the entire doc fee AND get reimbursement from Ford WITHOUT a cap. So - I guess, don't order through University Ford if you want to save $600. Seems pretty scummy, but the docs on the website don't spell it out. I asked the rep to see if the site could be updated.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
šŸ”‘ ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ šŸ‘€
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
OK, I just got off the phone with someone from the X-Plan program.

Apparently, NC is the only state where the dealer can pocket the entire doc fee AND get reimbursement from Ford WITHOUT a cap. So - I guess, don't order through University Ford if you want to save $600. Seems pretty scummy, but the docs on the website don't spell it out. I asked the rep to see if the site could be updated.
It truly is spelled out in the rules. I've emphasized the portion relevant to North Carolina dealers:

Document Fees

• Dealers will be permitted to assess up to $100 in documentary fees on each delivery to an eligible purchaser under the terms of the Plan, unless otherwise provided by state or local laws or regulation. Each dealer is responsible for complying with applicable laws or regulations.
  • Unless otherwise provided by state or local laws or regulation: In states where dealers are not permitted to charge as much as $100 for doc fees, dealers would be capped at the lesser amount as provided by the state. In states that permitted more than $100, dealers would be permitted to charge the Plan customer $100. In states that permitted more than $100 and also required that all customers be charged the same amount, dealers may charge the Plan customer $100 and indicate any additional fees have been paid by Ford Motor Company or Lincoln Motor Company as part of the AXZD-Plan Program dealer reimbursement on the buyer's order.
  • Doc Fee Charges should be detailed on the AXZD Plan Pricing Agreement located in number 4.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Seems amazing that anyone would accept this. ā˜¹

I would contact Ford and demand a refund.

Last edited:

tacobellcow

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(Ordered: '21 Select (Silver w/appearance pack)
Occupation
Advertising Sales
Country flag
Seems amazing that anyone would accept this. ā˜¹

I would contact Ford and demand a refund.
Currently arguing with a sales manager about the doc fee. They are trying to charge $230 (in Michigan) when $100 is the cap (unless in NC). I asked them to show me the law and they refuse to do it.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Currently arguing with a sales manager about the doc fee. They are trying to charge $230 (in Michigan) when $100 is the cap (unless in NC). I asked them to show me the law and they refuse to do it.
Contact @Ford Motor Company. It's against X-Plan rules. PERIOD.

tacobellcow

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Advertising Sales
Country flag
Hereā€™s how they got me out the door. They said the fee was the same for everyone and the fee is the fee. Told them I was frustrated with the entire buying experience. Sales manager offered me $500 to give a perfect review. But since I know heā€™s lying to me about the doc fee - then I know heā€™s lying to me about the $500.

tacobellcow

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Advertising Sales
Country flag
He bribed me for a review.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

kd-

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(Pending) Mach-E Premium
Country flag
It truly is spelled out in the rules. I've emphasized the portion relevant to North Carolina dealers:
All I'm relaying is what the X-Plan rep told me - that due to "state or local laws or regulation" there is no X-Plan cap on the doc fee in NC so it really does matter what dealer you order with. I really wish this was spelled out prior to the sale - they left it ambiguous in my case and the docs really leave it open with the "state or local laws or regulation".

I suspect they are making money on both ends - from me, and from any X-Plan reimbursement that they COULD have gotten and not charged me. The rep seemed to indicate that they could, in theory, do this.

I think the best course of action is to just take your business elsewhere if you can (e.g. Crossroads in Apex or another nearby dealer), and continue to raise hell if you can't. I tried sending a twitter DM to Ford - no response. Maybe I'll try the forum DM next.

Last edited:

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I really wish this was spelled out prior to the sale - they left it ambiguous in my case and the docs really leave it open with the "state or local laws or regulation".
It is spelled out. See post #19 above. Itā€™s pretty clear that if the dealer charges more than $100 because the law requires them to charge the same amount to everyone, Ford will cover the cost in excess of $100.

JHolladay

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Premium
Occupation
Ford Sales Manager
Country flag
Hereā€™s how they got me out the door. They said the fee was the same for everyone and the fee is the fee. Told them I was frustrated with the entire buying experience. Sales manager offered me $500 to give a perfect review. But since I know heā€™s lying to me about the doc fee - then I know heā€™s lying to me about the $500.
That is clearly a violation of FMCO policy

As for the Doc Fees, the rule is $100.00 for X & D plan & $75 for A & Z. Our Doc fee is $498. When we do a plan deal, we simply change is to one of the previous and move on. What is right is right.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
I had the X plan, and my dealer charged $85 for docs. I thought that was good business - I bet they gain more than $15 worth of good will by charging $15 less than they could.

Fatawan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-250 Tremor, 2021 Mach-E GT
Country flag
Went through this BS with my dealer last night--$798 doc fee, no negotiating according to the sales manager. I told him that is not the rule, and he said "the burden of proof is on you!" SO, I showed him the rules. Still said no. Finance guy was a smarter fellow, and he read the rules and agreed with me. Taking it up with the owner of the dealership when he returns on Thursday. If they truly are "double dipping," I am going to raise a huge stink and get them kicked out of the program. I hate dealerships. They had a charge for $350 on there. I asked what it was and they said something about "window etching." NOPE! I didn't ask for that(whatever it is) and there is no f-in way I am paying for it.
Sponsored