Garage Door Accident

Fenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
I got really unlucky one day where my garage door failed stuck in the very blindspot between rear window and the panoramic glass, so when I backed up it totally scratched a sweet spot between the windows on my mach E. I was able to get it repainted by the ford body shop, but the micro bubble on the glass can't be fixed. However, there are these clip things hold the glass in place that looks like it's been popped out and I don't think my ford dealership knows how to fix it. Being as the car is so new, maybe you guys can be of assistance and look at my poor car. I've attached photos, any thoughts?
From afar, it looks fine, just when you get close up, i feel sad inside lol.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Garage Door Accident InkedWhatsApp Image 2021-04-01 at 8.18.23 AM(1)_LI
Ford Mustang Mach-E Garage Door Accident InkedWhatsApp Image 2021-04-01 at 8.18.23 AM(2)_LI
Ford Mustang Mach-E Garage Door Accident InkedWhatsApp Image 2021-04-01 at 8.18.23 AM_LI

Ford Mustang Mach-E Garage Door Accident InkedWhatsApp Image 2021-04-01 at 8.18.22 AM_LI

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Looks like a black molding that's damaged, maybe could be replaced.

RobbH

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE - Grabber Blue
Country flag
From afar, it looks fine, just when you get close up, i feel sad inside lol.
Not an answer to your questions but a note of sympathy. I left the rear hatch open on the MME and out of reflex opened the garage door...dragging the metal bar attaching the door to the track right over the door! The worst part is when I did it the second time...I have never been so mad at someone in my life :(

OP
OP
Fenix

Fenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Not an answer to your questions but a note of sympathy. I left the rear hatch open on the MME and out of reflex opened the garage door...dragging the metal bar attaching the door to the track right over the door! The worst part is when I did it the second time...I have never been so mad at someone in my life :(
My condolences :(, hopfully the damage isn't visible on the mach e. Much cheaper to replace a garage door.

RobbH

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE - Grabber Blue
Country flag
My condolences :(, hopfully the damage isn't visible on the mach e. Much cheaper to replace a garage door.
It's not too visible but like you said it does hurt inside :)

Rob FFE

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Select, 2017 FFE, 2013 Cmax, 1996 Ranger
Occupation
Electrical Engineer (retired)
Country flag
My sympathies. Many years ago I did the same thing with a Jeep Cherokee I owned. When I noticed the the open hatch on my MME was high enough that it could catch on the door, I rigged up a rope and elastic contraption to limit how far the hatch would open. Mine is the manual hatch so the open end point isn't adjustable.

The rope thing was kind of in the way so I thought about different gas springs. Amazingly, I found gas springs that were made for an 80s vintage Toyota that had just the right extended and collapsed lengths, connector ends, diameter and force specs to do what wanted, that is, to reduce the open height of the hatch about 4 inches. And they were only $17 apiece! It turns out they are a little weaker even though the force spec is very close to the MME OEM units. That could be because the Toyota ones are new, but old stock and could have lost a little gas. Despite this, I actually like the action with these replacements better.

I used type 4838 which I got from Lifts Support Depot, but they are available many places.

Dafstang

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aimdesign.com
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium E AWD/ / 2017 Mercedes GLE-43
Occupation
Product designer
Country flag

darren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Mach-E
Country flag
I have closed my garage door on our opened Outback hatch. That is painful.

Now, I just reverse park my MME.
Sponsored