GE2 (Ford) vs MEB (VW) platform...

slvrsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach-e
Country flag
So I get that ford is using GE2 platform (C2 derivative) for this mustang.. but has agreed with VW to use MEB for future electric vehicles. I can't think of why this platform would be abandoned after development?

Is MEB that much better? is there deficiencies in GE2?
Sponsored

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
I doubt it is abandoned. My guess is there will be a Lincoln version of it and I will be surprised if it stops there.

srogers

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Mach E, Premium, 2021
Country flag
So I get that ford is using GE2 platform (C2 derivative) for this mustang.. but has agreed with VW to use MEB for future electric vehicles. I can't think of why this platform would be abandoned after development?

According to this article, Ford will be using the MEB platform for two European models. I also read that they will be using the Rivian platform for a SUV for Lincoln.

OP
OP

slvrsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach-e
Country flag
Interesting.. so I guess maybe the MEB has a few less restrictions.. The article mentions a max wheel size of 20in rather than 22 for the MEB.

The MEB does seem more flexible however, but the development work was already done for the GE2 and there is probably a cost for each MEB platform used.

Lukas

Administrator
First Name
Lukas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstek
Occupation
Actuary
Country flag
Is the Mach-E's MEB EV platform also being used for the electric F-150? I know they've said the Lincoln EV will be built on Rivian platform but haven't seen it published anywhere what platform the F-150 will be built on.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Is the Mach-E's MEB EV platform also being used for the electric F-150? I know they've said the Lincoln EV will be built on Rivian platform but haven't seen it published anywhere what platform the F-150 will be built on.
Doubtful. The Mach-E platform will be used for the electric Fort Transit. The Rivian platform is for a smaller truck. I suspect Ford is using a new, heavier platform for the electric F-series.

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag
Two different platforms for different purposes. GE2 has been in development since Fields was CEO (possibly in planning while Mulally was around). For perspective, GE2 wheelbase = 117 in vs MEB = 108.9 in (Golf MK7 is 103.8 and current Fusion is 112.2).

As far as Rivian and Lincoln, unknown at this point on whether it'll be truck, SUV, car. What we do know the Rivian R1T (truck) has a wheelbase of 135.8 in, the R1S (7 passenger SUV) 121.1 in. For perspective, the current Aviator wheelbase is 119.1 in.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
And F-150s have a wheelbase from 122 to 163″.
Sponsored