jeffMachE

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, XC60, RR Prem Ex4 (rcvd 11/21)
Country flag
Anyone got an idea of what the Guess-o-Meter algorithm is? I assume it uses some concept of recent consumption (average mi/kWh over the last XX miles), has a factor for external temp and for climate and accessory usage. I can't figure out if anything else is factored in, such as elevation gain/loss (if a destination is set). On my old i3, it would calculate the GOM based on the last 18 miles of consumption, and would factor in elevation changes, speed and climate controls.
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
↑ ↑ This is the best answer that anyone outside of Ford engineering can provide. ↑ ↑
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

But if you want the PR spin on it then see this per Darren Palmer:

Ford's Intelligent Range system creates a profile for each driver and assesses how far they can expect to travel between charges based on their driving habits. It also factors in the topography on a given route to account for any battery-draining climbs or energy-saving descents, Palmer said. Wind speed, weather conditions, and traffic are downloaded from the cloud and added to the calculation, too. Ford introduced Intelligent Range in the Mustang Mach-E crossover.

https://www.businessinsider.com/ford-f150-lightning-ev-range-darren-palmer-2021-5

Last edited:

uncle_0gre

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 Mach 1 428 CJ
Country flag
It’s not gonna be that simple.
Ford has introduced some AI and some Machine Learning which will adjust the GOM depending on who is driving, along with the other external variables like, temp and distance and elevation etc.

So let’s assume you and your partner both have profiles in your car. When you get in the car the GOM will be different than when your partner gets in the car.

OP
OP

jeffMachE

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, XC60, RR Prem Ex4 (rcvd 11/21)
Country flag
It’s not gonna be that simple.
Ford has introduced some AI and some Machine Learning which will adjust the GOM depending on who is driving, along with the other external variables like, temp and distance and elevation etc.

So let’s assume you and your partner both have profiles in your car. When you get in the car the GOM will be different than when your partner gets in the car.
That's pretty interesting. I'm still curious what the base algorithm looks like. I'm suspicious of statements like "It will learn your driving habits and take that into account". While the technology for doing so certainly exists, it seems like a large investment on Fords part to create a machine learning environment that takes continuous data input just to calculate the GOM.

In most cases (IMHO) relatively simply algorithms can provide highly accurate predictions. It seems pretty out of character for a company like Ford to invest in heavy duty AI and ML for this. But I've been wrong before and definitely will be wrong again...

uncle_0gre

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 Mach 1 428 CJ
Country flag
That's pretty interesting. I'm still curious what the base algorithm looks like. I'm suspicious of statements like "It will learn your driving habits and take that into account". While the technology for doing so certainly exists, it seems like a large investment on Fords part to create a machine learning environment that takes continuous data input just to calculate the GOM.

In most cases (IMHO) relatively simply algorithms can provide highly accurate predictions. It seems pretty out of character for a company like Ford to invest in heavy duty AI and ML for this. But I've been wrong before and definitely will be wrong again...

"base algorithm" you will likely never know. Because it's part of the "Ford Mach E Secret Sauce"

Regarding Machine Learning, just do a quick internet search using your favorite search engine for "Ford Mach E Machine Learning" you'll see all sorts of results for it.

While the results don't mention GOM or range specifically, I can't imagine that Ford's not capturing metrics of how hard you press the go stick, how fast you turn the wheel, etc.. and making a model of your driving habits.

I know if I was a developer for Ford and I had the ability to collect these metrics I would be building models of driving habbits to help develop a better GOM experience, along with anything else specific to who's in the drivers seat.

atomdeathstroke

First Name
Atom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mache E Premium
Occupation
I make stickers
Country flag
Is that why my profile says 69 miles and my wife's says 420?

v8318cid

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MMe Prm. 4x , 19 Nissan Leaf, 22 GC 4xe
Occupation
Information Tech
Country flag
Is that why my profile says 69 miles and my wife's says 420?
Sounds like some ulterior motives for those numbers, not just lead footedness. Just sayin... =)
Sponsored