Got the Windshield/Roof Recall Letter - Debating on not getting it done (yet)

fmtexmme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
As the title says, I got the letter for the windshield/roof recall, but I'm debating on whether or not to get it done at this time.

The issue is, a few weeks ago, my windshield took a rock to the bottom of the windshield, in the black area, and it created a small star crack. I went to SafeLite to see about getting it repaired. They said if the damage was in the middle of the glass, they could repair it with no problem, but because of where it is located, if they tried repairing it, it would almost certainly propagate as a result of the repair process. Their recommendation was to leave it alone and replace the windshield if/when it expanded. So far, the crack has not expanded.

My fear is when they remove the windshield for the recall, it will almost certainly cause the crack to expand and then won't be able to reinstall it. I have read some horror stories of people waiting several weeks for a new windshield to arrive. I don't want to take a car that is functioning perfectly now and lose it for weeks. I figure I can always have the recall done later if/when the crack expands and I need to replace it anyway.
Sponsored

ADDZ71

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium ER AWD (sold) 22 MME GT (Del 5/22)
Occupation
Lithium expert
Country flag
I had a new windshield installed a couple of months ago and no problems getting one. Safelite did it and they ordered the right one in only a day or two.

cravacor

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME
Country flag
I don't see how the dealers are going to remove and re-install all these windshields without breaking them. I understand this is not easy to do. As well, don't dealers usually farm out windshield work to companies like Safelite?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
My fear is when they remove the windshield for the recall, it will almost certainly cause the crack to expand and then won't be able to reinstall it. I have read some horror stories of people waiting several weeks for a new windshield to arrive. I don't want to take a car that is functioning perfectly now and lose it for weeks. I figure I can always have the recall done later if/when the crack expands and I need to replace it anyway.
Your fear is misguided. You don't need to worry about the crack expanding when the dealership has it removed and reinstalled, because they'll refuse to do it. They cannot install a cracked windshield in your vehicle, period.

Windshield integrity matters in a crash. A cracked windshield lacks integrity. For liability reasons, no one is going to install, or reinstall, a cracked windshield for you.

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
As the title says, I got the letter for the windshield/roof recall, but I'm debating on whether or not to get it done at this time.

The issue is, a few weeks ago, my windshield took a rock to the bottom of the windshield, in the black area, and it created a small star crack. I went to SafeLite to see about getting it repaired.
I had to replace a windshield on my Lincoln and I went with an OEM windshield. I read reviews on aftermarket glass. I found an actual shop that does windshields and I do not mean Safelite. Some of the windshields that are installed by some of these "come to your work" companies are sub standard and the installation is poor. I am not saying going to the dealer to get the OEM but I would recommend finding a quality company and do the research on the windshield.

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag
Got my letter. Says wait till Nov 15 to call dealer. I'll probably wait a bit longer than that, but will get this done.

Drewlectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e, Tesla M3, 4Runner
Country flag
I got mine scheduled, went in and the staff checking me in said it'll take a day or two. So asked whether I wanna reschedule. I said ok and later on got a call back saying that they don't even have the proper fix ready and not ready to schedule at all.

I'm not sure about that last part "fix not available yet...". Anyone that already got this fixed through dealer?

My problem is i have a small business and I can't use the vehicle at all until recalls are addressed.

Drewlectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e, Tesla M3, 4Runner
Country flag
Why not? The letter specifically says it won’t be available until 11/15.
Thanks @generaltso you are correct and may be I should've worded my question this way.

I'm *curious* about last part "fix not available yet...". Has anyone else talked to their dealers and scheduled the work and/or have more information?

-- recall was released around October 23rd and caused me to stop using it for my business. So it somewhat impacts me financially. That's why I was seeking feedback from fellow forum members.

It's also weird that my VIN doesn't show up on the NHTSE vin check (dont know whether it was listed before) - https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Thanks!

opus

First Name
Dwight
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dwightbattle.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
UX/Product Designer
Country flag
Why not? The letter specifically says it won’t be available until 11/15.
I'm *curious* about last part "fix not available yet...". Has anyone else talked to their dealers and scheduled the work and/or have more information?
I made an appointment online last week when the recall popped in the app. A few days later, the recall came in the mail and said the dealers wouldn't have anything until the 15th. When I called in to cancel my appointment, the scheduler said that they can't do any fixes until after the 15th, but more importantly, they don't even know when they're going to have materials to fix the issues (yay supply chain!).

Her advice was to call back on the 15th and get on the list, and they get you when they get you. Sounds like it might be a while before they'll fully be able to deal with this. I'll update once I call back next week.
Sponsored