[Guide] Better Jump Point Access (Battery Access)

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Ford should make a whole new panel but this time with an access door. Or could you cut out a square and make your own access panel? Should be able to proxy a panel to it. Both are plastic so glue should be able to hold it.
See member HuntingPudel's battery jump points access panel mod in the DIY section.
Sponsored

alangant

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GTPE Rapid Red (ordered 10/22/21)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Seen that but he ran wires. I rather just be able to open small door or panel. That way can see everything and easy to connect jumper cables.
For anyone who just wants easy access to the battery jump points via holes, you can find info at
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...point-access-battery-access.10976/post-290201

The hole covers are at The Hillman Group 58179 2-1/2-Inch Hole Nylon Knock Out Seal, Black, 2-Pack - - Amazon.com

and template for the cutouts are below.

Attachments

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Another option is to run a trickle cable out the front funk and trickle charge the 12V battery as desired.

20230827_154034.jpg

20230827_154201.jpg

20230827_154418.jpg

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Another option is to run a trickle cable out the front funk and trickle charge the 12V battery as desired.
Why would you do this?

Unless you have an extremely outdated job 1, the vehicle will maintain the LVB via the DC/DC inverter. Technology has advanced, we aren't in the 1960s anymore.

Last edited:

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why would you do this?

Unless you have an extremely outdated job 1, the vehicle will maintain the LVB via the DC/DC inverter. Technology has advanced, we aren't in the 1960s anymore.

I believe putting a trickle charger on it actually prevents it from sleeping. I could be incorrect about that but I remember seeing something about it.
What is an extremely out dated job 1?

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Better option than using 8 batteries at the pop out piece. Able to charge the 12v without using the hvb as in if one isnt driving the vrhicle for a time frame. Too many reports of low and dead 12v batteries.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
What is an extremely out dated job 1?
There was a bug on the first release vehicles that prevented them from maintaining the LVB. It was software patched in January of 2021, I think.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Better option than using 8 batteries at the pop out piece. Able to charge the 12v without using the hvb as in if one isnt driving the vrhicle for a time frame. Too many reports of low and dead 12v batteries.
If your LVB dies then you have much larger issues because the vehicle isn't performing as it should. I would rather know of an issue while it's at home vs on a road trip.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Why would you do this?

I believe putting a trickle charger on it actually prevents it from sleeping. I could be incorrect about that but I remember seeing something about it.
The only reason to attach an external charger would be if you are doing your own FDRS updates which hit the 12v pretty hard.

under 'normal' conditions, you literally should NEVER have to apply an external charger. If you really want to top up the 12v, just turn the MME 'on', disable 'auto-off', shut all the doors and leave it on overnight. That will hold system voltage at 14.4-14.9v and the LV will be 100% in the morning.

I think that 1-7/8" holes over LV connectors are advisable not only for charging, but also in case you need to GIVE a charge to another motorist. I wanted to be able to connect full size jumper cables to handle 100amps for that task.... AND because I wanted to be able to export up to 1500 watts of power to external inverter for 120v AC.

and while you are at it, I would HIGHLY recommend a third hole, over the HV disconnect that is between the 12v + and - holes. This is for the benefit of Emergency Responders, or dealership service procedures that require disconnecting HV before service.

What I haven't gotten to yet is digging in there and making access to the charge port 'manual release' handle reachable.

Last edited:

Earlofsandwich

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Select AWD
Country flag
I have used de-sulfating low current battery chargers for years (lately NOCO brand) to maintain/restore old batteries. One day, my MME LVB will be an old battery. I also connect up the battery charger for a day or two once a year or so to extend its life, and I do that on all my cars. Since I started that practice about 5 years ago, I have not had to replace a 12V battery. Also, I note that my MME uses 12V power every time I walk past it with my phone. Lights come on, relays click, etc. Some days I walk by a dozen times without ever opening up the car or starting it. Since the software fix (mine was one of the first in my area - coming up on a year old - and the battery went dead once), I have reasonable confidence that the 12V will be kept charged by the car itself, but that still does not give it the de-sulfate experience. I connected a cord from my battery maintainer to the MME battery, ran the connector up through the windshield washer fluid bottle neck hole. When gone for a long trip (we use our Highlander Hybrid as our vacation car), I leave the charger plugged into the connector under the MME hood. I don't expect to need to "jump start" my MME any longer, but battery maintenance is good for the battery and easy now with the connector accessible. No holes.

Ford Mustang Mach-E [Guide] Better Jump Point Access (Battery Access) 20230827_154430_08
what type of noco charger are you useing? i really like this idea? and what type of adapter did you use? the M6 or 10?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
.... I also connect up the battery charger for a day or two once a year or so to extend its life, and I do that on all my cars. Since I started that practice about 5 years ago, I have not had to replace a 12V battery.
yes, good practice to bring batteries up to 100% and hold for a few hours at 'float' voltage. Sealed batteries, you hold at a slightly lower voltage since they cannot 'vent' when equalizing the way the old flooded-lead batteries can.

I would like to suggest that this 'equalization'/de-sulfating charge can be done with NO equipment or charger with our MME's simply by leaving the vehicle 'ON' overnight, with headlights turned off, and auto-off disabled.

I also suggest that 3 holes, or an access panel, is a smart thing to add over the connection points and the HV disconnect for ease of service, possible 'quick charging', possible export of 12v energy, and safety for tow truck drivers / emergency responders in case of a crash where HV should be disconnected to prevent possible shorts and fires.

Also, I note that my MME uses 12V power every time I walk past it with my phone. Lights come on, relays click, etc. Some days I walk by a dozen times without ever opening up the car or starting it. ...
yes, best solution for this that I have found is to turn off BlueTooth on your phone. This basically disables PAAK and you car won't 'see' you walking by.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
what type of noco charger are you useing? i really like this idea? and what type of adapter did you use? the M6 or 10?
NOCO GENIUS5, 5A Smart Car Battery Charger, 6V and 12V Automotive Charger, Battery Maintainer, Trickle Charger, Float Charger and Desulfator

NOCO GC009 X-Connect SAE Adapter Accessory Genius Smart Battery Chargers

Earlofsandwich

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Select AWD
Country flag
NOCO GENIUS5, 5A Smart Car Battery Charger, 6V and 12V Automotive Charger, Battery Maintainer, Trickle Charger, Float Charger and Desulfator

NOCO GC009 X-Connect SAE Adapter Accessory Genius Smart Battery Chargers
awe some thanks what do you connect to the battery terminals?

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
awe some thanks what do you connect to the battery terminals?
The clamps that came with the charger. Then I reinstalled the plastic pieces so no one can touch the clamps by accident. I put the connector up next to the WW fluid fill for access, as shown in my photo.
Sponsored