Gforcemurphy

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDI
Country flag
So, would I be right in thinking that most folk find those front door handles weird and unnecessary? I get that some testing came back with a suggestion that there would be a fear of fingers getting caught, but they’re an unsightly imperfection on an otherwise beautiful car.

Reckon we will be able to have them removed afterwards, without compromising paintwork, etc? (Better yet would be an option to dispense with them altogether, but I’m guessing that’s not going to happen...)
Sponsored

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
The Ford handles don’t pop out like the 3’s. So the good news are that they won’t freeze... but the bad are that they’re always sticking out like that. I’d rather not have any at all.

06VistaGT

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach E, '06 Mustang GT, '06 Explorer, '15 CRV
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
In below freezing weather, doors sometimes stick. Requires a good yank to get them open. I doubt the electric door release will be that powerful; hope I am wrong. While I agree the handles are unsightly, they do provide leverage in that situation. Without them, not sure what you would do if the doors were frozen shut and the auto "popper" proved incapable of overcoming that.

06VistaGT

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach E, '06 Mustang GT, '06 Explorer, '15 CRV
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
The same approach would work for windshield defrosters, yet most still scrape the window as a matter of convenience. In practice,, the approach you advocate is ideal. But lots (most?) dont always think ahead enough to preheat the car. Maybe we will all get used to remote starting in cold weather, but the option to go at a moments notice still seems valuable to me.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
That handle is a non issue for me.

Ford's plugins have always had a scheduled precondition. For commuters that leave for work at the same time every day (and leave for home at the same time) you can program the car with a time & a temperature (e.g. make the inside 72F by 7am).

The implementation of that in the Focus Electric was awesome. In the winter I had the FFE set to be 80F by the time I left to go to work. It didn't matter what happened overnight in the winter the car was always toasty warm and all the snow/ice was always melted off the windows. I didn't have to remember to remote start the car....it was always ready.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
In below freezing weather, doors sometimes stick. Requires a good yank to get them open. I doubt the electric door release will be that powerful; hope I am wrong. While I agree the handles are unsightly, they do provide leverage in that situation. Without them, not sure what you would do if the doors were frozen shut and the auto "popper" proved incapable of overcoming that.
But if you’re really concerned about that scenario, you should not be happy about the lack of handles for the rear doors. Either you’d want to have handles on all four doors (unless you think it’s acceptable that in cold weather you have to climb to the back from the front to push the back door open) or you’d want the release to work in cold weather.
Frankly, I just wish they’d come up with something that didn’t look as ”tacked on.”

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
But if you’re really concerned about that scenario, you should not be happy about the lack of handles for the rear doors.
Probably not as big of a deal for the rear, as long as the front opens. While awkward, one could always crawl into the back from the front in a rare freeze up.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
They aren't the most aesthetic, but I have no issue with them. Life is too short and real problems too hard to worry about something like that. First world problems

Blitz118

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford Edge ST
Country flag
No big deal for me either. The car will be in garage when not being used plugged in and charging. So I'm not worried about them freezing, I'm sure Ford tested them in freezing temperatures. I think some of you guys are overreacting.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Standard Range, Chevrolet Bolt EV, Fiat 500E
Occupation
IT Architect
Country flag
The first five years of my driving life were spent parked outside in Kansas. Every car I owned froze shut at least once a year, one year it got so cold my horn in a Pontiac sunbird shorted out at 2AM and just honked until it burnt the horn out/killed the battery. Woke up to the cops beating on our door that time :)

So I own a garage now and haven't scraped ice off a window for close to 20 years :)

I'll reserve judgement on the doors until I see them/try them out. My favorite car doors were in my Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Coupe where the door handle was hidden in the B pillar, but in the X I'm a big fan of the 'open the door for you' capability they have. I'm a little iffy on the photos I've seen of the drivers door with that weird hook thing, but I think I want to see them in person.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
Framed or not, I've had issues with car doors and windows freezing to seals on just about every car I've owned. There is a cure. Amazon Put that on your seals twice a winter. It keeps your seals healthy and ice won't stick to it. Northern Europeans swear by the stuff and after I tried it I saw why. As far as frozen door handles a squirt of de-icer fixes that just fine. Your 3 also has a schedule for heating and charging. Just set it to the earliest you might ever want to leave. I'm sure the E will do the same. Problem solved.
Sponsored