Happy New year - Mach E Now More Expensive Than Bronco!

OP
OP
nvabill

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
So when I picked up our Mach-e Premium, Jan. 11th, 2022….., price was $55,800 net, X-plan….., what a deal! Bill P
Let me give you some figures on my Mach E purchase;

2022 Mach E California Route 1 purchase price of $54,250 less $7500 tax credit, net price $46,750.

Now a 2023 identical Mach E California Route 1 is $64,875 with no tax credit.

That is a net increase of $18,125 or 38.77% in less than a year.

To me that is just mind boggling!
Sponsored

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
The Bronco looks like a nice vehicle, but I have no interest in owning one.

You will have both, and that's nice for you. But extending that to what everyone else would want is a stretch. EVs are EVs, and ICE are ICE.

So why do you consider the comparison so damning? Apples and oranges.

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Driving School Instructor
Country flag
Let me give you some figures on my Mach E purchase;

2022 Mach E California Route 1 purchase price of $54,250 less $7500 tax credit, net price $46,750.

Now a 2023 identical Mach E California Route 1 is $64,875 with no tax credit.

That is a net increase of $18,125 or 38.77% in less than a year.

To me that is just mind boggling!
Please enlighten me how Ford had anything to do with the $7,500 tax credit?

Once again, you are comparing a figure that doesn't exist anymore with the $7,500 tax credit.

The materials to make an EV have gone up at a higher rate than most other materials. I agree that the MME is too high in comparison but your comparison to the Bronco means nothing in this example. The Bronco had no tax credit to start with.

OP
OP
nvabill

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
But extending that to what everyone else would want is a stretch.

So why do you consider the comparison so damning? Apples and oranges.
Kevin, I never said everyone else would be interested in a Bronco. Now, let's get back to the Apples and oranges comparison and why I did it.

People have various reasons and criteria when they shop for a new vehicle. Sometimes folks will say I have X dollars to spend and I want to find a fun vehicle I would love to drive and then they start looking.

Two years ago when I was looking at Broncos a comparable equipped Mach E was a net 15-20 thousand dollars less than a Bronco. Now they are the same price and I have said earlier in my previous posts that is just mind boggling to me!

So, if the rapid increase in the price of the Mach E line doesn't alarm you, that's ok, it sure does me!

OP
OP
nvabill

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Please enlighten me how Ford had anything to do with the $7,500 tax credit?

Once again, you are comparing a figure that doesn't exist anymore with the $7,500 tax credit.

The materials to make an EV have gone up at a higher rate than most other materials. I agree that the MME is too high in comparison but your comparison to the Bronco means nothing in this example. The Bronco had no tax credit to start with.
Dennis I never said Ford had anything to do with the loss of the $7500 tax credit, but, honestly does it matter at all at the end of the day? I mean seriously when you sit down and look at your finances and your costs have gone up by $7500 that cuts into your bottom line.

So, I will close by saying, please don't shoot the messenger! :cool: I was simply showing something I find alarming and sharing my opinion. If you don't agree or even if you think it's stupid, that's ok also, we are all different.

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
So, if the rapid increase in the price of the Mach E line doesn't alarm you, that's ok, it sure does me!
I just consider myself the beneficiary of good fortune to buy in 2021 at MSRP and get the tax credit.

Surely the dealer ADMs have meant people have been willing to pay over that for the car, so I'm sure that Ford prefers that money goes in their pocket instead of going in the dealers.

What people are willing to pay for the car will be found as to whether dealers can continue to tack on ADMs. ADM is an anomaly that's been abused over the past 2 years and I for one look forward to the reckoning that many dealers will now face.

OP
OP
nvabill

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just consider myself the beneficiary of good fortune to buy in 2021 at MSRP and get the tax credit.

Surely the dealer ADMs have meant people have been willing to pay over that for the car, so I'm sure that Ford prefers that money goes in their pocket instead of going in the dealers.

What people are willing to pay for the car will be found as to whether dealers can continue to tack on ADMs. ADM is an anomaly that's been abused over the past 2 years and I for one look forward to the reckoning that many dealers will now face.
I'm with you and I was lucky to get mine at the old pricing with the full tax credit.

Now, as to ADM that is a whole other thing, I have never paid ADM on a vehicle in my life and I hope I never have to. :cool:

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Funny I was thinking about this the other day, I am a proud owner of both.

After the tax rebate I paid 50K for a First Edition. Also received first month payment and a 5 YR ESP courtesy of Ford.

After waiting a year and half I paid 58K for a fully loaded Bronco Badlands with SAS, LUX, MVG etc.

Happy with both, but they are 100% different in every way.

Just like the MME a Bronco can be purchased for less with a lower trim. Unlike the MME one can built up the Bronco to include what one couldn't afford upfront but overtime.

tempImageCwtXYc.png

maktas1973

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Focus Electric
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Agree that vehicle was always intended as a low cheap cost entry level vehicle for 3rd world markets and never really intended for North America / European markets. When small CUVs started to become more popular it is all ford had. Once the puma entered production the ecosport should have been dropped and the puma brought over to North America asap.

I doubt you will seem much in the EV space at $35k that won't be seen as more than a shopping trolley however for a lot of people if they have another vehicle they could easily get by with one for most daily usage.

The pending MEB based EV puma could fit the bill as the lower priced EV but no doubt like the ICE puma wont see this side of the pond. Still maybe with the new IRS rules classing vehicles around actual specifications rather than marketing department slogans it will force fords hand.

Either that or Ford have to do what lexus did to the North American NX and give the front bumper a chop job to give it the relevant departure angles to fit within the target designation as at current elevated prices the upper level trim mach-e are going to be a hard sell against the competition.

I have no idea how Ford Marketing does not want the Puma EV here in NA. You would think it could support the volume with another plant, maybe mexico (low cost?). I'm wondering what Ford will do with Chicago Assembly (Home of the current ICE Explorer) after the Explorer EV launches out of Oakville (Canada) in a couple of years

OP
OP
nvabill

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Funny I was thinking about this the other day, I am a proud owner of both.

After the tax rebate I paid 50K for a First Edition. Also received first month payment and a 5 YR ESP courtesy of Ford.

After waiting a year and half I paid 58K for a fully loaded Bronco Badlands with SAS, LUX, MVG etc.

Happy with both, but they are 100% different in every way.

Just like the MME a Bronco can be purchased for less with a lower trim. Unlike the MME one can built up the Bronco to include what one couldn't afford upfront but overtime.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Happy New year - Mach E Now More Expensive Than Bronco! tempImageCwtXYc
Very nice, now that's what I call a well rounded fleet. :cool:

OP
OP
nvabill

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have no idea how Ford Marketing does not want the Puma EV here in NA. You would think it could support the volume with another plant, maybe mexico (low cost?). I'm wondering what Ford will do with Chicago Assembly (Home of the current ICE Explorer) after the Explorer EV launches out of Oakville (Canada) in a couple of years
Very nice, I did not even know the Puma existed until you mentioned it here. I think it would be a good fit here in the US especially with the higher costs of the present MME.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I'm not saying a smaller battery is a problem - in fact I believe the opposite. For 90% of my driving I use about 30% of my stated range each day.

But range is consistently rated as one of the top reasons against BEV adoption. So I'm with you, but I think we'd be in the minority, and in this environment I think it would be a tough sell in NA.
agree on both points... rarely use a significant percentage of my battery and people are concerned with range.

The fix will be more chargers in more places, not bigger batteries.... because of cost.

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Driving School Instructor
Country flag
If what you say is true, Ford would have been able to capture $7,500 on every MME sold through 2022. And because of Ford making $7,500 above and beyond what they normally would have received, you now are suggesting they are "in a pickle". :p

Ford (using your logic), made $1,500,000,000 over what they would have charged had the tax credit not existed on 200,000 units.

If we stick with your logic, Ford could sell the next 200,000 cars at $7,500 under what they charge now and they would come out even.

I want to be in that pickle.

Yes, it will be very easy to get an MME if we stick with your assertion. The Premium MME that I purchased for 58K could (using your logic) be sold by Ford for around $50,000 for the next 200,000 units sold and some of them (the ones priced under 55k) will receive a $3,500 tax credit rounding that down even more.

Sign me up. I will buy another one today.

OP
OP
nvabill

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's definitely going to be interesting to see them dig out of this hole.
Sponsored