Why is the Mach E so much more expensive than the Model Y?

1969Mach1Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69mach1, 11 R56S MINI, LR LR4, Mach-E IBSM.
Occupation
Minister Of Awesomeness
Country flag
Actually I did. I got a LR MY in June 2020 (Right after the covid shut down. ) I had it for 30k miles and sold it for a MY P 2 years later.

I will admit that panel gaps were there, but were corrected without hassle at my service center. Other then that, it had been dead reliable. Even the tires after 30k miles had 5/10 left. Cost of service other then electricity was a big fat $0.

There will always be outliers as far as cars that break down or has problems, but the way that FORD is dealing with all the problems right now is not encouraging. On top of the the Dealers in general don't seem to care. Probably because they are fat now from the large ADM they're charging.

Honestly if I had to sell one right now, it would be the MME. And its because I don't trust FORD or its dealership to fix it it in a timely matter. That and the 5 second power reduction.
You weren't with us back in 2012. Telsa was horrific, they can't even be compared. My only issue with Ford is not replacing the hardware on all MMEs for the HVJB. Ford knows the part is under engineered.
Sponsored

ElectrifyME

First Name
Carrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Love England, but In the States, you cant buy a Tesla in Cash. You can buy a MachE in cash, which I did. Ordered it in January, delivered in May. Would not accept a Dealer mark-up for one in inventory on a dealer lot either. Important to look at the total cost of ownership. Even if you finance a Tesla. They only accept minimum money down and Tesla will make more on the interest on the car loan for whatever the amount of years it is. And if you lease a Tesla like my neighbor did, you cant buy it after the lease ends. Am hoping to get 8-years from my MME-GTHP. Fingers crossed.
This is false. Bought my husbandā€™s cash no financing.

ElectrifyME

First Name
Carrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You didn't own an early MY. My 60d broke in the first 50 miles. The MME is lights years ahead for issues vs release date.
So your actual comp is old Y to new MME is that right? I am sitting at the intersection of this decision.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
this is me!

if i was buying a BEV SUV today, Ioniq 5 would be my hands down choice simply because more bang for the buck.

i have only two complaints about it. one is that the pano roof is available only in the highest trim and second, i find the colors bland.

to all the responses on my price q, i think in UK we are hit by currency fluctuation. Mach Es are imported from Mexico and MY from China. GBP has fallen big time against USD.
This may explain it, but what are the exact prices you are looking and and do you have links to show those prices?

Itā€™s possibly just an exchange rate thing but also could be looking at the wrong numbers.

1969Mach1Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69mach1, 11 R56S MINI, LR LR4, Mach-E IBSM.
Occupation
Minister Of Awesomeness
Country flag
So your actual comp is old Y to new MME is that right? I am sitting at the intersection of this decision.
My Model S. I'm an OG Tesla dude. I would still buy the MME over the Y. Its really a matter of preference. See where the nearest Ford or Tesla Service centers are. Ford generally has at least 1 dealer every 50 miles in suburbia/cities. Telsa has just a handful per state.

If I was walking down the street and could pick any EV and I was looking for value? The model 3, Bolt, and IONIQ5 are probably the bests value for what you get now that the price increases have hit. I'd honestly buy the IONIQ 5 and stare longingly at MME GTs. As they drove around.

RAP

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE GT/PE,'22 MBS550'16,MBC350'12,MBCLS550,'12
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is false. Bought my husbandā€™s cash no financing.
Am seeking to understand....live in NY and was not possible. How long ago did you buy a tesla in cash? Was it ordered and brand new? TY

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I am not sure what you priced out but for model y for one the way I priced out the Mach e for the Model y ended up 14,000 dollars more than my Mach e
Heā€™s in the UK. US prices arenā€™t comparable due to differences in equipment, vehicle origin, and exchange rates.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Am seeking to understand....live in NY and was not possible. How long ago did you buy a tesla in cash? Was it ordered and brand new? TY
I bought both my MY in cash. in 6/20 and 3/22. Tesla just have you wire them the money 3 days before you take delivery. Super easy. During covid, they just drop the car off in my driveway. Signed everything online. Easiest buying experience ever.

TD1273

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford F-350
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Heā€™s in the UK. US prices arenā€™t comparable due to differences in equipment, vehicle origin, and exchange rates.
I was kind of wondering if he was overseas

Deleted member 3569

Model Y sold in the UK is (I believe) made in China. This offers both cost and possibly exchange rate advantages.
I read somewhere that Chinese made MME got longer range.

OP
OP
coolshades

coolshades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF -> Mach E AWD ER, Rapid Red
Country flag
This may explain it, but what are the exact prices you are looking and and do you have links to show those prices?

Itā€™s possibly just an exchange rate thing but also could be looking at the wrong numbers.
see attached. MY LR in Red vs Mach E AWD ER in Rapid Red

MME.PNG

Attachments

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I read somewhere that Chinese made MME got longer range.
I donā€™t know what standards would apply to a Chinese-built car sold in the UK, but itā€™s certainly not bound by our EPA ratings. Elon may well stick any number on it he pleases. šŸ˜€

Ming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium SR RWD; 2022 Civic; Tesla MYP
Country flag
I bought both my MY in cash. in 6/20 and 3/22. Tesla just have you wire them the money 3 days before you take delivery. Super easy. During covid, they just drop the car off in my driveway. Signed everything online. Easiest buying experience ever.
Tesla buying experience is super easy. Total spent less than 10 minutes. Could be even less if I didn't arrive before appointment. It can be contact free, basically you get there, car is waiting for you and you just drive off.

In comparison, I just spent 3 hours taking delivery of my MME. I don't even know what they were doing while I waited there.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I bought my Model Y with a cashierā€™s check a little over two weeks ago. Nothing financed.

Traded it for a BMW i4 earlier this week lol.

IgorKl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GT and '22 MME CaliRoute 1 AWD
Country flag
My Model S. I'm an OG Tesla dude. I would still buy the MME over the Y. Its really a matter of preference. See where the nearest Ford or Tesla Service centers are. Ford generally has at least 1 dealer every 50 miles in suburbia/cities. Telsa has just a handful per state.

If I was walking down the street and could pick any EV and I was looking for value? The model 3, Bolt, and IONIQ5 are probably the bests value for what you get now that the price increases have hit. I'd honestly buy the IONIQ 5 and stare longingly at MME GTs. As they drove around.
Did you consider IRA situation with federal tax credit?
Sponsored