praxiscat

First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, Tesla Model 3
Country flag
It should be noted, the real world range on the Mach E ER models are actually significantly better than the Model Y. Ford was OVERLY conservative with their estimates. Sometimes by as much as 70 miles in their favor. Tesla on the other hand is overly optimistic, often by even more. Typical real world range of the LR AWD tesla is around 250, and for the performance it is 220ish, this is a 70-100 mile difference from their EPA range. Typical real world range of a Mach E ER RWD is 350, and AWD ER over 300. So yeah, the Tesla is line with the real world values people are seeing from the Select Mach-E, but nowhere close to the Extended Range ones Ford offers. So I would be even more specific with people on this, don't trust the EPA range numbers, because they are on two different ends. Likewise ford seems to have some type of really good adaptive algorithm in the vehicle to help with range. I think this may be one area where Ford may have Tesla beat.

I should note, I drove both when I was deciding which one to get, and make no mistake, the Tesla is a fast car, and probably faster off the line. But I think if one must get a Tesla, it should be a Model 3. To me the Mach E is the better vehicle between it and the Y. The Mach-E is more comfortable, its easier to drive, quieter, smoother ride, etc. It has better paint, a better build quality, etc. While I do like the infotainment system on the Tesla more, I actually like the vehicle speedometer on the Mach-E. The actual experience driving the Mach E to me as a whole was better in the MME. To me, the Mach-E ER is the best electric crossover for the money, hands down.

Now mind you, my Husband is going to keep his Tesla Model 3 around. In fact I like the Model 3 a ton more than I like the Y. Its what a compact sports sedan should be. I like the Mustang Mach E more though. Ford nailed what this type of crossover vehicle should be about more than the Y.

EDIT: I should note, the $10,000 price on the driver automation features for the Tesla is absurd. Its like standard on the Premium ER MME model I ordered, and would be a $2k add on to a GT.
Sponsored

Last edited:

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Good news. Model Y doesn’t have that problem.
Or one could say that the IP cluster is permanently obfuscated.

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
Laugh of the day. :)

Dan Neil, an auto reviewer for the Wall Street Journal, just posted the review today for the $150,000 Tesla Plaid.

He loved the sheer power and performance that a 1,000 HP BEV can give you. 0 to 160 mph in 18 seconds.

Then he wrote this, LOL.

The star of the show is the car’s stitched-vegan leather steering yoke, subbing for a conventional steering wheel. More of a butterfly than yoke, the controller wouldn’t look out of place in any late-model business-jet cockpit or simulator. And if you are strafing the redwoods by dawn’s early light—switch-back to hairpin, zing-zoom—the yoke feels amazing, futuristic, like you’re Princess Leia on the forest moon of Endor. Or is that just me?

But on a planet with parking decks and drive-thrus, the yoke is a visionary pain in the ass. It is actually quite hard to turn from lock-to-lock with one hand, as you might if you had just bought a cup of coffee in the drive-thru; or if attempting a three-point turn, using the touchscreen-based gear selector. The steering’s re-centering force is sufficient to make the yoke slip from your grip. Nor can you steer for even a second with your knee. The capacitive turn signal switches on the yoke are terrible. My error rate was about 80%.

Mr. von Holzhausen said the yoke prepares consumers for a time when manual controls slip from the experiential forefront of driving. In future Teslas enabled with full autonomy, the steerer could retract into the dash console. Make this one disappear.
The Technoking strikes again.

Last edited:

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Geez, bashing Technoking and Tesla is so easy that it is almost boring.

But not yet. :)

So Tesla has produced over 285,000 vehicles in China. And they are now doing an OTA Safety Recall on 90% of them. Technoking my a**. :rolleyes:

From the Wall Street Journal, June 26.

Tesla Inc. is addressing a safety issue in more than 285,000 passenger vehicles in China—including more than 93% of locally made vehicles sold by the company—associated with their cruise-control system, the country’s market regulator said.

The fix, which the State Administration for Market Regulation called a recall, requires affected Tesla customers to upgrade their cruise-control software remotely and doesn’t require going to the dealer, the Chinese regulator and company said Saturday.

The recall of the U.S. company’s automobiles came after an investigation into possible defects, which found that their cruise-control system could be accidentally activated and potentially result in an unexpected speed increase, the regulator said.

The recall includes 249,855 Model 3 sedans and Model Y compact crossover vehicles manufactured by Tesla’s Shanghai plant, as well as 35,665 imported Model 3 cars, it said.

The market regulator also said it received a request from Tesla a few days earlier for the recall, which affects vehicles produced between December 2019 and June 2021.

The recalled autos manufactured in China account for 93.7% of all sold Tesla vehicles that were made locally at the company’s Shanghai plant, according to figures released by the China Passenger Car Association.
Maybe that is why:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Why the Mustang Mach E is better than the Tesla Model Y Capture8.JPG

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
How about those tesla price increases? Mache still cheaper and now looking really cheaper.

All I hear are ??????
More increases as of this week according to Electrek.

In total, looks like Model Y LR has gone up $3,000, i.e. from $49,990 to $52,990 with one system (radar-based adaptive cruise control) removed since early March.

Tesla Model Y prices
Model 3 prices have stabilized lately, but Tesla is still pushing Model Y prices higher.

Earlier this month, Tesla increased the price of the Model Y Long Range by $500. The price increase was lost amid the launch of the new Model S Plaid.

Now, Tesla has again increased the price of the base Model Y.

In an overnight update to its online configurator, Tesla increased the price of the Model Y Long Range to $52,990:

That’s a $500 price increase, which sounds insignificant, but the electric SUV was starting at just $50,000 just a few months ago.

The price has increased significantly through those small prices increases.

CEO Elon Musk has recently explained that the price increases are due to “major supply chain price pressure industry-wide.”

In recent months, the auto industry has been badly affected by the global chip shortage.

Several other factors are resulting in overall price increases across many industries simply due to increased freight cost, and Tesla is no exception.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
I would suspect it has to do with the fact it is easy to accidentally turn the cruise control on. Tesla does not use a different button/switch to activate cruise control. I think every other vehicle has separate dedicated buttons.

praxiscat

First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I considered the Y, especially with the PaaK drama right now. Then I realized today after riding in my husband's Tesla Model 3 with some phantom breaking issues happened twice today on the highway. There is so much I am not crazy about within a Tesla even though he loves it.
To note, I ordered a second key fob for the MME. Likewise I might get a MME produced in June, so a more recent version, not one in the recall period. This issue is not a big deal to me.
Likewise I think Dealers will catch up with the MME maintenance, and the ones near me are onboard with electric, as I live in an area with high electric adoption (Takoma Park - DC and MD).

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
More increases as of this week according to Electrek.

In total, looks like Model Y LR has gone up $3,000, i.e. from $49,990 to $52,990 with one system (radar-based adaptive cruise control) removed since early March.

Tesla Model Y prices
Model 3 prices have stabilized lately, but Tesla is still pushing Model Y prices higher.

Earlier this month, Tesla increased the price of the Model Y Long Range by $500. The price increase was lost amid the launch of the new Model S Plaid.

Now, Tesla has again increased the price of the base Model Y.

In an overnight update to its online configurator, Tesla increased the price of the Model Y Long Range to $52,990:

That’s a $500 price increase, which sounds insignificant, but the electric SUV was starting at just $50,000 just a few months ago.

The price has increased significantly through those small prices increases.

CEO Elon Musk has recently explained that the price increases are due to “major supply chain price pressure industry-wide.”

In recent months, the auto industry has been badly affected by the global chip shortage.

Several other factors are resulting in overall price increases across many industries simply due to increased freight cost, and Tesla is no exception.
Perhaps due to Panasonic selling its stake in Tesla the batteries won't be discounted anymore. Perhaps the subsidies in the form of regulatory credits are coming to an end.
Tesla never made a cent of profit on selling their cars, one day it must end or the company goes bankrupt.

praxiscat

First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla's raising the prices because of the chip and parts shortage. They have said as much.

sindrogo

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500, Mach-E GT on order
Country flag
It should be noted, the real world range on the Mach E ER models are actually significantly better than the Model Y. Ford was OVERLY conservative with their estimates. Sometimes by as much as 70 miles in their favor. Tesla on the other hand is overly optimistic, often by even more. Typical real world range of the LR AWD tesla is around 250, and for the performance it is 220ish, this is a 70-100 mile difference from their EPA range. Typical real world range of a Mach E ER RWD is 350, and AWD ER over 300. So yeah, the Tesla is line with the real world values people are seeing from the Select Mach-E, but nowhere close to the Extended Range ones Ford offers. So I would be even more specific with people on this, don't trust the EPA range numbers, because they are on two different ends. Likewise ford seems to have some type of really good adaptive algorithm in the vehicle to help with range. I think this may be one area where Ford may have Tesla beat.

I should note, I drove both when I was deciding which one to get, and make no mistake, the Tesla is a fast car, and probably faster off the line. But I think if one must get a Tesla, it should be a Model 3. To me the Mach E is the better vehicle between it and the Y. The Mach-E is more comfortable, its easier to drive, quieter, smoother ride, etc. It has better paint, a better build quality, etc. While I do like the infotainment system on the Tesla more, I actually like the vehicle speedometer on the Mach-E. The actual experience driving the Mach E to me as a whole was better in the MME. To me, the Mach-E ER is the best electric crossover for the money, hands down.

Now mind you, my Husband is going to keep his Tesla Model 3 around. In fact I like the Model 3 a ton more than I like the Y. Its what a compact sports sedan should be. I like the Mustang Mach E more though. Ford nailed what this type of crossover vehicle should be about more than the Y.

EDIT: I should note, the $10,000 price on the driver automation features for the Tesla is absurd. Its like standard on the Premium ER MME model I ordered, and would be a $2k add on to a GT.
New member, just ordered a MME GT today. As a former Model X owner, I can confirm the actual range is not what Tesla says. I'd just drive around town during the day (maybe 50-60 miles) and be down to a half charged battery. Even the in-car estimates are wild at times. Part of that may be due to weather (I live in Texas... it's hot), but still way off. I've been seeing side by side actual tests where the MME comes out ahead. It's kind of the equivalent to the old Dodge gas gauges (you'd be fine until about half a tank, then it plummeted). I got rid of my MX because of range anxiety and fit and finish issues (on the $100k Tesla...). I went with MME because, after seeing and sitting in one, it's more solid and well built compared to a Model Y IMO. I'm also not a fan of the minimalist interior (that's why I went with Model X).

Where I do give Tesla props, is in the charging network and tech innovations (sentry, dashcam, customizable "boombox" sounds outside the car, autopilot is expensive... but works well on highways). I'm still keeping an eye out to see if/when Ford uses the cameras for at least a dashcam. Yes they're fast... but parts will probably fall off (like a bumper... see model 3). Here I used to say Fords had magnetic rear bumpers for all the parts falling off back in the day (80-90's).

praxiscat

First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
New member, just ordered a MME GT today. As a former Model X owner, I can confirm the actual range is not what Tesla says. I'd just drive around town during the day (maybe 50-60 miles) and be down to a half charged battery. Even the in-car estimates are wild at times. Part of that may be due to weather (I live in Texas... it's hot), but still way off. I've been seeing side by side actual tests where the MME comes out ahead. It's kind of the equivalent to the old Dodge gas gauges (you'd be fine until about half a tank, then it plummeted). I got rid of my MX because of range anxiety and fit and finish issues (on the $100k Tesla...). I went with MME because, after seeing and sitting in one, it's more solid and well built compared to a Model Y IMO. I'm also not a fan of the minimalist interior (that's why I went with Model X).

Where I do give Tesla props, is in the charging network and tech innovations (sentry, dashcam, customizable "boombox" sounds outside the car, autopilot is expensive... but works well on highways). I'm still keeping an eye out to see if/when Ford uses the cameras for at least a dashcam. Yes they're fast... but parts will probably fall off (like a bumper... see model 3). Here I used to say Fords had magnetic rear bumpers for all the parts falling off back in the day (80-90's).
I had a 1980s ford. It was a nightmare. Ford has improved so much since the fox body years. The MME is honestly on another level.

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Time to bash the Technoking again.

As I said back in June, 2021:
Jun 14, 2021

Check out that clip starting at 00:50, LOL. That is going to be interesting to watch the videos with that thing in snow, heavy rain, rough road, etc.

For $130,000 you get half a wheel. What does the full option cost?

Definitely going to be fun to watch, unless you happen to get in their way. Then it won't be so funny.

https://osultan.smugmug.com/Cars/Refresh-Model-S/n-jF42tn/i-MqTr9SD
Well, Tesla has solved the problem with the yoke. For a mere $700.00, they will sell you a round steering wheel to replace your yoke. And that is no yoke. LOL.

Folks who ordered a Model S or a Model X with a yoke aren't stuck with it. Tesla will offer a steering wheel retrofit kit starting in March 2023. It's priced at $700 including installation. Several aftermarket retrofit kits are available as well, though many are considerably more expensive.
https://autos.yahoo.com/tesla-brings-back-steering-wheel-150900365.html

Elon Musk, what a guy!!
Sponsored