OP
OP

GoIrish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium AWD Ext Range
Country flag
The prosecutor will probably still tell you to get lost.
I bet they will, not sure what the point of your post was, nor do I appreciate the tone which is hard to gauge in the written word.
Sponsored

OP
OP

GoIrish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am leaning towards the Vantrue X4S Duo. Has anyone used this before? $300 including GPS and hardwire kit. I don't really like anything bestbuy has, other than thinkware...

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I am leaning towards the Vantrue X4S Duo. Has anyone used this before? $300 including GPS and hardwire kit. I don't really like anything bestbuy has, other than thinkware...
According to their site, that camera is on Pre Order up till Nov 30th, so I doubt anyone has used it.

Camera looks pretty large, I personally won't use an obvious camera. Keep in mind, if you are in an accident and someone sees you have a camera they can request the video. Also in CA the police can take the video if they feel you will modify/delete the video to try and cover up an at fault accident.

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I'd like a dash cam, but is anyone else concerned that it's 'another thing' that's highly visible for someone to steal from a car?

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I'd like a dash cam, but is anyone else concerned that it's 'another thing' that's highly visible for someone to steal from a car?
That is why you go with a wedge designed camera which are pretty difficult to see in modern cars. I also am not too sure on how attractive dashcams are to to someone wanting to steal stuff. Most crooks won't go after something that they know is recording, esp now a days with cloud/LTE storage.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
Why not just use the cameras that are already on the Mach-e. Something like century mode except the Ford version?

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
I have an OWL Dash cam that is the most painless install - plugs into your OBD port for power. Has 4G LTE capabilities and allows you to access footage and live video as long as the dash cam has cellular service.

I have one we removed from a 2019 Edge ST before trade in that I'm trying to sell. DM me if interested.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I have an OWL Dash cam that is the most painless install
1Ch Dashcams are super easy to install. They only start to get annoying when you have to try and run a 2nd channel to the back. Not sure how much I like the idea of it flashing a light though. You have to keep in mind, a dashcam is great for a non fault accident, they are not so great for an at fault accident. If the other party see's you are running a dashcam they can legally request a copy of it.

OP
OP

GoIrish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have ended up buying a Rexing V5 3 channel with all the bells and whistles, installation scheduled on Dec 8. Will let this board know how it goes and how it performs.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
installation scheduled on Dec 8
Is Best Buy doing the install? Just curious as the ones here in SoCal won't do EV's the last time I asked.

Rexing makes some pretty good cameras. I've used their wedge cameras in my last two cars. First one did end up failing on me after about 3 years. It still recorded and such, but the capacitor went out and the way I had it wired my auto start/stop would power down the camera because its battery was no longer good.

I bought another Rexing to replace it, used the same cable and even the same mount which was a big plus. I installed it into my F150 and when I sold it I took it out, still have it sitting here on my desk. Its the Rexing V1-4K which was nothing too fancy but worked. For the MME though I want to get at least a 2ch system.

I'll end up putting the Rexing in my wife's car, although any accident she will get in will more than likely be her fault lol

I need to just buy one for the MME.. I have the money burning a hole in my pocket, I just don't want to mess with installing the 2nd channel in the back... If Best Buy will install it, then I might go that route if they will install the battery bank.

Marc S

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach e Select with add on packs
Country flag
I have an OWL Dash cam that is the most painless install - plugs into your OBD port for power. Has 4G LTE capabilities and allows you to access footage and live video as long as the dash cam has cellular service.

I have one we removed from a 2019 Edge ST before trade in that I'm trying to sell. DM me if interested.
Yeah, that company went under and it won’t be long before their cloud services cease operations

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
Yeah, that company went under and it won’t be long before their cloud services cease operations
They were absorbed by another company, who kept the Owl cam platform functioning as it was before. Have had no issues. This is our second cam from a sold car. Still have one in the RS.

Marc S

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Am I wrong in saying none of these cameras wifi features will work if you use CarPlay? You will be stuck with pulling the card out of the camera if you need to pull footage

Marc S

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They were absorbed by another company, who kept the Owl cam platform functioning as it was before. Have had no issues. This is our second cam from a sold car. Still have one in the RS.
$20 a month. No thanks, but good to know they are still in business

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
$20 a month. No thanks, but good to know they are still in business
Yeah it’s ridiculous until you call them and negotiate the rate. No better than SiriusXM for pricing ?

Got it down to $10/mo. Their strategy truly is a customer is better than no customer.
Sponsored