Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
So, I work at the Ford Rouge Complex. It’s a great place to work, it between the steel mill and the paint shop, it’s hell on paint. I go to work with a clean smooth paint job, and when I leave, there is a lot of abrasive buildup on the horizontal surfaces. I am concerned enough that I am seriously considering spending the money on ppf, but it’s likely going to be July before I can afford it.

originally, I was going to wash, clay, diy ceramic (chemical guys HYDROSLICK INTENSE GLOSS SIO2 CERAMIC COATING HYPERWAX) this weekend, but Now I’m not so sure thats the best plan. Should I just wash and wax the car until sending it in for the ppf, and let them clay and polish it, or will they be able to work with the SI02 on it already?

opinions?
also, I am very open to suggestions for shops (in south east Michigan) to do the film.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
So, I work at the Ford Rouge Complex. It’s a great place to work, it between the steel mill and the paint shop, it’s hell on paint. I go to work with a clean smooth paint job, and when I leave, there is a lot of abrasive buildup on the horizontal surfaces. I am concerned enough that I am seriously considering spending the money on ppf, but it’s likely going to be July before I can afford it.

originally, I was going to wash, clay, diy ceramic (chemical guys HYDROSLICK INTENSE GLOSS SIO2 CERAMIC COATING HYPERWAX) this weekend, but Now I’m not so sure thats the best plan. Should I just wash and wax the car until sending it in for the ppf, and let them clay and polish it, or will they be able to work with the SI02 on it already?

opinions?
also, I am very open to suggestions for shops (in south east Michigan) to do the film.
Since I wasn't able to take Marlin in right away because of my trip to FL, my shop recommended just a light spray-on wax in the interim so they wouldn't have to work hard at removing it.

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag

opinions?
I'll preface this with I'm not a paint care expert. My understanding is that PPF is great for "hard hits" like rocks kicked up by vehicles on the road. Ceramic should give you good protection against "environmental fallout".

stroszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 92x
Country flag
Ceramic is kind of like semipermanent wax so I would just wax until you get the PPF.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I went full which requires the entire car to be prepped. The installer should fully polish all paint (correction). So you don’t need to do anything prior to PPF. It’s well worth it, I even put a dab of touch up paint on it and was able to remove it 5 days later. I have a chip under my front right side prior to PPF. The installer didn’t touch it up, so I put a dab on top of the PPF to conceal it. The installer finally got back with me and is going to replace the front due to an issue with the lower corner and we will touch up the chip at the same time. So I wanted to see how something like paint comes off and it sure did. Truly amazing product!

176A8F74-9CA0-4C04-8C6F-025E094DB58A.jpeg

35FB6AA5-9A87-4EFE-AE62-DC7D8FE1E22E.jpeg

98207FF4-E900-46C1-B3BD-0CF9266B9DAC.jpeg

2F4CAC39-3E6C-4915-B0C0-B60665D774A0.jpeg