High floor / comfort

tdebug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 5
Country flag
Recently took a Mach E for a test drive and first thing came to my attention is the relatively high floor it has. I know the reason for it and all, but how do you feel about from owner perspective? I am 5.9 (180) and basically tried to adjust a seat many times during a test drive to find a good spot and still felt a bit of a tension in a right leg after an hour of driving. Is the high floor giving you any similar issues or not at all?
Sponsored

djjerv91

First Name
Jonathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium RWD ER Infinite Blue
Country flag
I'm 6'2" and have had no pain or issues with the vehicle and am coming up on 2,500 on the odometer.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
6'2", 10000miles and zero leg pain.......even after 600 mile days

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
I be 5'9"and all is good.

Worst vehicle I ever drove was a Ford E350 utility van, damn thing made you sit all twisted up at an odd angle. Still loath the memory of those 150k miles....

fightinag

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach e
Occupation
retired flight nurse
Country flag
I be 5'9"and all is good.

Worst vehicle I ever drove was a Ford E350 utility van, damn thing made you sit all twisted up at an odd angle. Still loath the memory of those 150k miles....
OMG......In a Dodge Viper you sat at an uncomfortable angle to the road !

OP
OP

tdebug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 5
Country flag
Thanks all!
Might be I am just not exactly a crossover lover (I am not :-D) but my wife is driving Ford Edge and I can't say anything bad about it, the sitting position there is naturally higher but it is anyway quite comfortable.
Probably need to book another test drive to see if I can adjust a seat any better or is it generally the way with EVs and their high floors..

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
You haven't been in one of these on a long drive:

Jon and Mitch 5-19.JPG

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I've had 5 minivans since 1987 and then a Mazda CX-5 for 5. The MME fits in with all of them. It's not a sedan.
6'2" - 175, no issues.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
No :) But I guess I spent too much time driving "conventional" sedans. So now having a hard times with SUVs.
the seating positions between the two categories are different for sure and it does take some adjustment time. When I was going back and forth between my Fusion and my Mach-E, it always felt very differently, and no amount of seat adjustment would get them to match because they are just fundamentally different.

seat position is somewhat a personal thing (somewhat a safety thing - if you're too close to the wheel in these airbag days, that's very bad) so different people are going to feel differently.

In my case, at about 5' 10", I found that I needed to be farther back from the wheel in the Fusion to give my leg more distance, as it were (I'm explaining that kind of poorly but I hope it's clear anyway). In the Mach-E (and the gf's C-Max), a higher seat position but a bit closer works better. Using the "dead foot" area on the left can help as you can get your left leg positioned nicely and the right leg will just follow along, as it were.

one thing I'd think about looking at too when you test drive is to see if the easy entry/exit helps - the "old man seat move" - as described on page 79 of one of the manuals:

Ford Mustang Mach-E High floor / comfort 1631277911207

this is for me a big help in both the Fusion and the Mach-E and is something I really miss in the lesser-spec'd C-Max.
Sponsored