Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Or even more likely, between the core laminations....presuming the inductor has a laminated core.
Ageed! Those are the words that were escaping my brain as I wrote that post while multitasking at work, haha.
Sponsored

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
Ageed! Those are the words that were escaping my brain as I wrote that post while multitasking at work, haha.
Sounds like you two would make a pretty good team.

Thevanin

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'09 Ford Focus, '78 Cadillac DeVille
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Bob, can you tell us your build date?
Jan 7 build date. The whine is something I could live with, but it is pretty irritating. On my normal commute I'd need to have music playing with the stereo louder than I'd normally listen to if I want to drown it out. I will admit I'm a pretty unique use case... I have a case of mild tinnitus and really good hearing, so I really notice changes in subtle buzzing/ringing noises.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
The pitch of the sound is just about what my tinnitus sounds like, so I’ll probably be ok with it. :p

My wife will hear it though so ...

Last edited:

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
I brought this issue up with my dealership service department as another item alongside a different problem with the car. Got it back and apparently it's working as intended and a "normal characteristic of this car"... From the write up:
Ford Mustang Mach-E High-pitched "Electrical Whine" Dashboard-Whine_LI

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
The pitch of the sound is just about what my tinnitus sounds like, so I’ll probably be ok with it. :p

My wife will hear it though so ...
guess she can't drive the car then. ??

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I brought this issue up with my dealership service department as another item alongside a different problem with the car. Got it back and apparently it's working as intended and a "normal characteristic of this car"... From the write up:
Ford Mustang Mach-E High-pitched "Electrical Whine" Dashboard-Whine_LI
well, to be completely fair to the tech - "at this time" are important words there.

seems like this is more of a "there's nothing we can do right now" rather than "screw off". since we have no evidence that something like replacing the instrument cluster will do anything (yet!), the only other option other than returning the car to you is to bring Ford in to do a bunch of stuff, and it seems like others are doing that already?

I guess I'm saying as someone without a car yet that I'd rather have a car with the noise when there's no clear fix than have the car sitting there for who knows how long. I suspect that was the dealer's take as well.

but again I don't have a car to live with the noise on yet so... ?

OP
OP
methorian

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
well, to be completely fair to the tech - "at this time" are important words there.

seems like this is more of a "there's nothing we can do right now" rather than "screw off". since we have no evidence that something like replacing the instrument cluster will do anything (yet!), the only other option other than returning the car to you is to bring Ford in to do a bunch of stuff, and it seems like others are doing that already?

I guess I'm saying as someone without a car yet that I'd rather have a car with the noise when there's no clear fix than have the car sitting there for who knows how long. I suspect that was the dealer's take as well.

but again I don't have a car to live with the noise on yet so... ?
This was my service centers response as well, and I agree. Since the sound is audible in other Mach-E's, there's little promise that replacing things will fix it, and I agreed that I'd rather let others and/or Ford directly be the testers here (versus pushing it with my dealership and having them ripping open the dash/etc).

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
This was my service centers response as well, and I agree. Since the sound is audible in other Mach-E's, there's little promise that replacing things will fix it, and I agreed that I'd rather let others and/or Ford directly be the testers here (versus pushing it with my dealership and having them ripping open the dash/etc).

And if it gets too common Ford will issue a bulletin of some sort to address the problem

And then service techs will have something to refer to

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I took mine into my service department on Monday to report this issue. Neither the salesman I worked with nor the tech could hear it (one was older and one had tinnitus), but I took a video of it that showed how it changed with the brightness setting which convinced them I wasn't just making it up.

I just heard from them today. Ford recommended that they replace the instrument cluster and they put in an order for one. No ETA on when it'll be available.
Thats great to know - at least they seem to be acknowledging some of the screens are buzzier than expected

Reactions: ARK

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Interesting.

I haven't pushed back on my service department after they were instructed by Ford to see if any other Mach-E's had the same whine. The other 2 that've come through their shop also had an audible whine, so Ford said "it's expected/common then!".

Definitely let us know if a replacement fixes the issue!
Perhaps you should push for replacement as well to see if that fixes it

OP
OP
methorian

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Looks like I'll be the first guinea pig... appointment is scheduled for first thing Monday morning. They expect it to take 2-3 hours.
Can't wait to hear the results!

Thevanin

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'09 Ford Focus, '78 Cadillac DeVille
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Thanks. I think I'm going to try and get another employee there to confirm my issue. The sales and service guys I've worked with can't hear it for various reasons... I'd like to have one person at the dealership confirm that they can hear it in case the new unit has the issue too.