High-pitched "Electrical Whine"

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD + Ext Range
Country flag
I definitely heard something similar when I first got my MME. But since then I've turned down the brightness on the big screen and turned up the volume on my audio system, and I haven't noticed it since.
Sponsored

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Oddly, to me the buzzing sounds louder when the screen is in night/dark mode, but it could be that I am overall more tired at the end of the day, less likely to have music on or the windows open and therefore notice it more.

Glad to hear Ford replaced a unit and it improved it. Maybe once we hear about Mach-Es getting delivered without the coil whine, we will know that they have definitively resolved the issue.

Chudsaviet

First Name
Timofei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 EV6 First Edition AWD, 2014 Leaf
Occupation
Software
Country flag
Oddly, to me the buzzing sounds louder when the screen is in night/dark mode,
Its not odd, it pretty much proves its a PWM noise. On lower brightnesses, duty cycle is lower, and perceived loudness could be higher (thorught I don’t have a strict physical explanation of this effect in my mind right now).

MJMachForum

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Blue Flex, 2021 Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Picked up my unit this week. write me down for the cluster whine.

DanCoon

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Government
Country flag
I'm no software engineer or mechanic of any sort, so I'm just speaking on pure speculation as a layman...

Someone mentioned previously that the Ford technicians thought that the whine was coming from a fan. I wonder if this is the case since I can hear the instrument cluster whine after the vehicle is turned off. Perhaps there is a fan in the back that continues to operate after the car is turned off to keep the panel temperature in check??

Chudsaviet

First Name
Timofei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 EV6 First Edition AWD, 2014 Leaf
Occupation
Software
Country flag
I'm no software engineer or mechanic of any sort, so I'm just speaking on pure speculation as a layman...

Someone mentioned previously that the Ford technicians thought that the whine was coming from a fan. I wonder if this is the case since I can hear the instrument cluster whine after the vehicle is turned off. Perhaps there is a fan in the back that continues to operate after the car is turned off to keep the panel temperature in check??
The screen is on for some time after you turn the vehicle off to show you nice pony animation. :) My observation is that the noise dissapears at the moment screen backlight is going off.

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag

It is 100% definitely not a mechanical whine from a fan. It's an electrical whine most likely from a high frequency pwm signal, or improperly potted capacitor, or inductor. The change in pitch and frequency when changing brightness 100% confirms this.

With that said, I'm fairly confident that Ford already knows full well what the issue is, the question is what are they going go do about it, and will they issue a recall to fix this issue particularly when it's present in some form or another in virtually every mach-e out there.

Ford if your reading these posts, please do the right thing here, because WE are watching.

OP
OP
methorian

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
It is 100% definitely not a mechanical whine from a fan. It's an electrical whine most likely from a high frequency pwm signal, or improperly potted capacitor, or inductor. The change in pitch and frequency when changing brightness 100% confirms this.

With that said, I'm fairly confident that Ford already knows full well what the issue is, the question is what are they going go do about it, and will they issue a recall to fix this particular when it's present in some form or another in virtually ever mach-e out there.
I agree it isn't from the fan.

I've learned to live with it, but I'm still hoping Ford announces a fix at some point. I cringe whenever I turn my music down, or am listening to audiobooks/podcasts.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I’m fairly confident that Ford already knows full well what the issue is, the question is what are they going go do about it, and will they issue a recall to fix this issue particularly when it's present in some form or another in virtually every mach-e out there.
I highly doubt there will be a recall for this. It’s not a safety issue, and a recall would mean they’d have to apply the fix on cars even if their owners can’t hear it. If there is a covered fix, it will likely be a TSB and only applied for customers that complain of the problem.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I think what you all are hearing is the artificial noise the car makes for people outside the car. It does seem to be coming from that general area.

GoosePond08

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
Electrical whine here too. Louder with brightness which to me means it's not the fan. I keep it turned down so I don't hear it. Brightness doesn't seem to be poor at a low setting.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I agree it isn't from the fan.

I've learned to live with it, but I'm still hoping Ford announces a fix at some point. I cringe whenever I turn my music down, or am listening to audiobooks/podcasts.
I agree with your agreement - it is definitely not a fan. The frequency of the whine changes each time you toggle the brightness up or down. A fan wouldn’t do that. It’s the electrical issue you guys described above - in layman’s terms: a cheap buzzy screen.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I think what you all are hearing is the artificial noise the car makes for people outside the car. It does seem to be coming from that general area.
Wait till you get your MME, it will be very clear and or obvious where the noise is behind generated from.

Ford most likely will defer addressing this with a TSB until they have a rev 2 of the screen. Just have to wait for it, could be a while and then we can all ask to have it replaced if bothersome. Um, dealer my screen keeps going out while driving for 30 or more minutes etc.