High-pitched "Electrical Whine"

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I think what you all are hearing is the artificial noise the car makes for people outside the car. It does seem to be coming from that general area.
People were able to confirm it’s the driver display because the noise completely starts and stops with the driver display coming or going off, even when the Mach-E is in park or has been turned off - the noise will keep going until the driver display switches itself off.
Sponsored

Chudsaviet

First Name
Timofei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 EV6 First Edition AWD, 2014 Leaf
Occupation
Software
Country flag
I agree with your agreement - it is definitely not a fan. The frequency of the whine changes each time you toggle the brightness up or down. A fan wouldn’t do that. It’s the electrical issue you guys described above - in layman’s terms: a cheap buzzy screen.
I wouldn’t say its a “cheap screen”. Its actually pretty good. Issues of this kind can happen to any new vehicle model. We call it “childhood diseases” in Russian.

Guys, we can actually write an open letter to Ford since its a problem with all Mach-Es.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Wait till you get your MME, it will be very clear and or obvious where the noise is behind generated from.

Ford most likely will defer addressing this with a TSB until they have a rev 2 of the screen. Just have to wait for it, could be a while and then we can all ask to have it replaced if bothersome. Um, dealer my screen keeps going out while driving for 30 or more minutes etc.
I agree with this. Ford is probably communicating with its supplier. Once it has a new batch of screens that don’t buzz, they’ll roll out a TSB. People who complain will get a screen swap. Many will just live with it. I doubt this will happen for at least 6mos. Just keep putting your complaints in and be patient.

mikeho

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
My display whine doesn't get better with lower brightness... It's pretty much constant. Annoying without music on. ?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Or you don’t hear it. Its actually so high pitched it can be outside of frequency range you hear.
Okay, I admit I could be wrong.
That's a fair point - my hearing is not good.
But my wife has excellent hearing. When we picked the car up, I had her stick her head near both displays before we left the dealership. If she heard anything, I was going to make them aware because I'd heard about this issue.
I seem to recall others also reporting no issue.

Chudsaviet

First Name
Timofei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 EV6 First Edition AWD, 2014 Leaf
Occupation
Software
Country flag
But my wife has excellent hearing. When we picked the car up, I had her stick her head near both displays before we left the dealership. If she heard anything, I was going to make them aware because I'd heard about this issue.
Ask a kid to check it. Seriously. Kids hear wider frequency range.
If you are correct, thats are fairly good news, because it proves non-wining screens exist and we can get a fix :)

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I don't want to jinx you (I really don't) - but mine didn't have it when I picked it up - this forum had me all worked up and listening for it - and then after a few days, I heard it the first time.

I don't hear it every time now. but... it's a quiet enough sound that any noise whatsoever will cover it (eg it's been windy here almost nonstop since I picked up the car)... I could understand someone not hearing it even with good hearing because of that.

so while it's there, it's not enough for me to be particularly bothered by it. Whenever something happens around a TSB or whatever, I'll get it dealt with for sure, but I'm lucky enough I guess to not be driven mad by it right now. It seems some folks are much more sensitive to it (or maybe are driving without the radio, wind, etc. and so are able to hear it easier)... I think if I was hearing it as much as some seem to be, I'd be much more unhappy about it.

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
I think what you all are hearing is the artificial noise the car makes for people outside the car. It does seem to be coming from that general area.
Definitely not the noise that is emitted from outside the vehicle. That sound turns off when you are in park, and you very clearly hear it engage when putting the vehicle into drive.

That said, I know people are trying to help, but not sure how helpful it is to clog up this threat with multiple pages of people just guessing and speculating when they don't have the car, or have never heard it for themselves.

The issue is very well documented in several videos (I posted one myself) where it's also very obviously changing in pitch and frequency when changing the instrument cluster display brightness (the outside pedestrian alert sound would obviously not change in tone when changing instrument cluster display brightness).

With that said, perhaps we can focus on potential solutions or raising this with dealers and with Ford technical team in an attempt to get acknowledgmemt and a response on what they are doing about it, rather than speculating on different sources or causes when the source has obviously been very well documented and confirmed by several users already.

Just a suggestion.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Okay, @generaltso. It's an interesting idea from @agoldman, though.

As we know, OTA updates are super easy to throw together. As product owners, we should be suggesting Ford to push the "produce an artificial, high-frequency-but-within-typical-hearing-range whine through the pedestrian warning speaker while Instrument Cluster is backlit" story into this sprint or the next one for immediate implementation.

Push the update to @agoldman and maybe a small group of others first to do a quick field test, and then soon afterwards it can be published to the rest of us.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Okay, @generaltso. It's an interesting idea from @agoldman, though.

As we know, OTA updates are super easy to throw together. As product owners, we should be suggesting Ford to push the "produce an artificial, high-frequency-but-within-typical-hearing-range whine through the pedestrian warning speaker while Instrument Cluster is backlit" story into this sprint or the next one for immediate implementation.

Push the update to @agoldman and maybe a small group of others first to do a quick field test, and then soon afterwards it can be published to the rest of us.
I'll create a JIRA story. Wait, we're all product owners now? Did I get a promotion?

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Well for what it's worth, being that I normally have ringing in my ears anyway from years of playing loud music, I don't hear any unusal sound at all coming from the display on my January build with no updates yet.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I'll create a JIRA story. Wait, we're all product owners now? Did I get a promotion?
We use Jira, too. Those Blokes and Sheilas must be rolling in the pistachios by now.

Seeing as every person on my scrum team is also the product owner* and sometimes a scrum master, no it's definitely not a promotion.

* this might not be implemented as some 'online certifications in exchange for cash' organizations might have intended. ?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
We use Jira, too. Those Blokes and Sheilas must be rolling in the pistachios by now.

Seeing as every person on my scrum team is also the product owner* and sometimes a scrum master, no it's definitely not a promotion.

* this might not be implemented as some 'online certifications in exchange for cash' organizations might have intended. ?
I bet Ford uses physical note cards on a cork board with push pins.

?
Sponsored