First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I bet Ford uses physical note cards on a cork board with push pins.

?
We used stickies on a whiteboard for awhile... ?

We also had "human centered design," back before we got even more spendthrift.

Ford says it used HCD for Mach-E, but I think they gave up prior to designing the climate controls. ? ?
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I don't want to jinx you (I really don't) - but mine didn't have it when I picked it up - this forum had me all worked up and listening for it - and then after a few days, I heard it the first time.

I don't hear it every time now. but... it's a quiet enough sound that any noise whatsoever will cover it (eg it's been windy here almost nonstop since I picked up the car)... I could understand someone not hearing it even with good hearing because of that.

so while it's there, it's not enough for me to be particularly bothered by it. Whenever something happens around a TSB or whatever, I'll get it dealt with for sure, but I'm lucky enough I guess to not be driven mad by it right now. It seems some folks are much more sensitive to it (or maybe are driving without the radio, wind, etc. and so are able to hear it easier)... I think if I was hearing it as much as some seem to be, I'd be much more unhappy about it.
So, this morning when I first sat in the car, I paid very close attention and tried every way I could to hear the dreaded whine. During the animation sequence, with my head facing the passenger side, I could hear a faint whine. It's definitely coming from the instrument screen behind the steering wheel. I could only hear it when my ear was about 12" from the steering wheel - any closer or farther away, I could not hear it. Almost like there was a standing wave that peaked at that location.

What's changed? When I picked up may car and definitely was not able to hear anything, the screen was still in the default mode - white in daylight / black at night. So it was white when I picked up the car. I have since switched to always black - just a preference. I could switch it back to see if that makes a difference. Or maybe you DID jinx me :D!

Having said all that, I can't hear it under normal operating conditions (I can't drive with my head cocked to the right at 12" from the wheel ?) so it's not an issue for me.

I think that puts me in your camp - not a big deal, but if and when a TSB becomes available, I'll have it addressed.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I think that puts me in your camp - not a big deal, but if and when a TSB becomes available, I'll have it addressed.
oh, if I knew you were coming to my camp, I would have tidied up some... maybe baked an Easter Bunny cake or something. sorry.

DanCoon

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Government
Country flag
It is 100% definitely not a mechanical whine from a fan. It's an electrical whine most likely from a high frequency pwm signal, or improperly potted capacitor, or inductor. The change in pitch and frequency when changing brightness 100% confirms this.

With that said, I'm fairly confident that Ford already knows full well what the issue is, the question is what are they going go do about it, and will they issue a recall to fix this issue particularly when it's present in some form or another in virtually every mach-e out there.

Ford if your reading these posts, please do the right thing here, because WE are watching.
I took a better look, or listen rather, to that screen of mine under optimal listening conditions this morning. Man, that thing is loud! You guys are all right, it's definitely not a fan. Unfortunately now that I know what to listen for I can't unhear it when I turn on the car. In fact, it seems like it's getting worse. Mine doesn't change intensity with the brightness though, that I can tell.

• Sad
Reactions: ARK

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
So, this morning when I first sat in the car, I paid very close attention and tried every way I could to hear the dreaded whine. During the animation sequence, with my head facing the passenger side, I could hear a faint whine. It's definitely coming from the instrument screen behind the steering wheel. I could only hear it when my ear was about 12" from the steering wheel - any closer or farther away, I could not hear it. Almost like there was a standing wave that peaked at that location.

What's changed? When I picked up may car and definitely was not able to hear anything, the screen was still in the default mode - white in daylight / black at night. So it was white when I picked up the car. I have since switched to always black - just a preference. I could switch it back to see if that makes a difference. Or maybe you DID jinx me :D!

Having said all that, I can't hear it under normal operating conditions (I can't drive with my head cocked to the right at 12" from the wheel ?) so it's not an issue for me.

Fact - All MME's have the whine, it just a matter of ones hearing, background noise at the time and intensity of the display. Some appear to be louder or more distinct than others and for sure sitting in your garage with just the car running, doors closed, radio off will make it more pronounced.

Personally I don't even notice it anymore and for sure not when in drive, on the road or even sitting at a light. I think when folks are picking up they are not hearing it because of all the the ambient background noise that the typical dealer has. Sales person talking, door open, loud road noise from highway, excitement of events etc. etc. etc. It's not something that develops over time.

Like I said long ago, it's best to not know about it in the first place, but here we are :)

Beege

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Santa Fe Sport, 2002 Mustang GT Convertible
Country flag
Fact - All MME's have the whine, it just a matter of ones hearing, background noise at the time and intensity of the display. Some appear to be louder or more distinct than others and for sure sitting in your garage with just the car running, doors closed, radio off will make it more pronounced.

Personally I don't even notice it anymore and for sure not when in drive, on the road or even sitting at a light. I think when folks are picking up they are not hearing it because of all the the ambient background noise that the typical dealer has. Sales person talking, door open, loud road noise from highway, excitement of events etc. etc. etc. It's not something that develops over time.

Like I said long ago, it's best to not know about it in the first place, but here we are :)
My Mach-e is a FE AWD ER. Built Dec 2020. Definitely has the whining. To me, it sounds like an electrical transformer buzzing.

I do notice it distinctly at speeds from 0 - 35 Kilometres per hour. After reaching 35 Kph it stops.

but I also notice that the pitch of the whining increases as speed increases.

I found it very annoying.

then I tried something.... I set the drivers display to Dark mode. So it is black all the time.

the center display is set to auto.

And now, I rarely if ever hear the whining anymore.

without a doubt the whining is coming from the electronics that control the LCD backlight. Sounds like a grounding issue to me.

I will keep the drivers display in dark mode from now on. And hopefully Ford will come out with a fix under warranty.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
My Mach-e is a FE AWD ER. Built Dec 2020. Definitely has the whining. To me, it sounds like an electrical transformer buzzing.

I do notice it distinctly at speeds from 0 - 35 Kilometres per hour. After reaching 35 Kph it stops.

then I tried something.... I set the drivers display to Dark mode. So it is black all the time.

without a doubt the whining is coming from the electronics that control the LCD backlight. Sounds like a grounding issue to me.

I will keep the drivers display in dark mode from now on. And hopefully Ford will come out with a fix under warranty.
I’m all dark mode too, I prefer it and it’s quieter in my opinion like you said. I rarely notice it these days.

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker

Are you sure this isn't the pedestrian warning sound, that is only at low speeds and can't be switched off........

Last edited:

Chudsaviet

First Name
Timofei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 EV6 First Edition AWD, 2014 Leaf
Occupation
Software
Country flag
I ran a rough spectrum analysis with an iOS phone, and I see that the instrument screen noise is somewhat like equally intensive at frequencies between 2k and 16k. Can a square electric PWM wave give this kind of acoustic spectrum?
Screen off:
Ford Mustang Mach-E High-pitched "Electrical Whine" BBAA4013-680E-45ED-98A5-8534093BF50C

Screen on:
Ford Mustang Mach-E High-pitched "Electrical Whine" E386ACD7-2C04-4C3F-BC19-95C3FCBE1F18

Chudsaviet

First Name
Timofei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 EV6 First Edition AWD, 2014 Leaf
Occupation
Software
Country flag
Found a 32 kHz PWM-controller BLDC motor noise spectrum - looks similar to what we have here:
Ford Mustang Mach-E High-pitched "Electrical Whine" 640B8CAE-F5CD-420D-9C00-589483C8A21F

So we have a small peak at 1/2 frequency, big peaks at 1x and 2x frequencies and a plato after 2x frequency.

Looks like we have a 2 kHz PWM-controlled backlight in our instrument screen.

David-HC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR ER RWD ?
Country flag

Hi @Beege

Your post is very interesting!

I had my "test drive" of a RWD SR MME today in the UK, and had exactly the same issue as you describe here.

It was a whining sound that increased in pitch and volume as the speed of the car increased from 0 - 20mph (0 - 32 kph) and then "stopped" above that speed. It appeared to come from the area around the driver's instrument cluster. I informed the dealership and one of the dealers also checked the car and agreed with me.

I searched the forum when I got home and found your post!

Looking through this thread and some of the videos/audio, it appears to me that there are two types of this "interference".

One type is the constant buzz from the instrument cluster, and the other is the "speed related" whine. I guess they may well be related in some way.

In terms of your issue (and the one I found on the test car today) did Ford investigate this at all, or are you just keeping the display in dark mode?

It would be interesting to know.

I will also forward your post to the dealer here so hopefully they may raise this with Ford UK.

I hope otherwise you are happy with your MME. My car (built November/December) is due here in June.

Kind regards
David

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
Hi @Beege

Your post is very interesting!

I had my "test drive" of a RWD SR MME today in the UK, and had exactly the same issue as you describe here.

It was a whining sound that increased in pitch and volume as the speed of the car increased from 0 - 20mph (0 - 32 kph) and then "stopped" above that speed. It appeared to come from the area around the driver's instrument cluster. I informed the dealership and one of the dealers also checked the car and agreed with me.

I searched the forum when I got home and found your post!

Looking through this thread and some of the videos/audio, it appears to me that there are two types of this "interference".

One type is the constant buzz from the instrument cluster, and the other is the "speed related" whine. I guess they may well be related in some way.

In terms of your issue (and the one I found on the test car today) did Ford investigate this at all, or are you just keeping the display in dark mode?

It would be interesting to know.

I will also forward your post to the dealer here so hopefully they may raise this with Ford UK.

I hope otherwise you are happy with your MME. My car (built November/December) is due here in June.

Kind regards
David
Are you sure this isn't the pedestrian warning sound??? That is active from 0-30? the coil whine is not speed related....

Canricco

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium RWD
Country flag
I have the same whine. I was able to change the pitch by varying the luminosity of the driver screen to something that isn’t as agressive to my ears, but it’s still there and constant. Has anybody brought it in and got it fixed?
Sponsored