Hight Voltage Battery overheating during charging on L2 after OTA

Schmedlack

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Escape S 1925 Ford Tudor (2-door)
Occupation
Trader
I called the dealer for an update and service rep told me the tech wanted to see my Lvl1 ford charger - maybe they wanted to replicate the issue? Or thinks it's the charger.. not sure. Not expecting to get my car back today - need to figure out a way to get to work tomorrow 😞

i see that they are charging it using a 9W Lvl 2 charger and it's almost fully charged.. so hoping they don't see that as a - car is fine thing
Sid - I think that your home charging station is OK. If the charging station was defective, the HV battery could not "warm up" to 90F.

The root cause is that an SOBDM software update causes the Cabin and Battery PTC heater to incorrecty turn on. This causes the symptons described on this thread, including HV Battery discharge.

An easy to follow, step-by-step procedure is essential for a cost effective repair. I suspect the procedure will reload SOBDM firmware. The procedure must conclude with a series of steps which verify proper charging.

For verification, every reloaded vehicle should recieve a "test charge". Here, an OBDII scanner measures the HV battery temperature before and after a 10kW charging session. To pass, any temperature increase must fall within a range specified by Ford.

I hope that your car comes back ready to charge and drive for many pleasurable years.
Keep posting.

ZedThou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kawasaki Ninja 1000, Genuine Buddy 170i
Country flag
Sid - I think that your home charging station is OK. If the charging station was defective, the HV battery could not "warm up" to 90F.

The root cause is that an SOBDM software update causes the Cabin and Battery PTC heater to incorrecty turn on. This causes the symptons described on this thread, including HV Battery discharge.

An easy to follow, step-by-step procedure is essential for a cost effective repair. I suspect the procedure will reload SOBDM firmware. The procedure must conclude with a series of steps which verify proper charging.

For verification, every reloaded vehicle should recieve a "test charge". Here, an OBDII scanner measures the HV battery temperature before and after a 10kW charging session. To pass, any temperature increase must fall within a range specified by Ford.

I hope that your car comes back ready to charge and drive for many pleasurable years.
Keep posting.
If scheduling the car for service at the local dealer, will the technicians be aware of this? Should I wait until this problem is more widely-known before making an appointment? I'm puzzled that there haven't been more complaints about this issue. Is it confined to only a few cars? That seems unlikely.

kronstein

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2020 Explorer ST
Country flag
If scheduling the car for service at the local dealer, will the technicians be aware of this? Should I wait until this problem is more widely-known before making an appointment? I'm puzzled that there haven't been more complaints about this issue. Is it confined to only a few cars? That seems unlikely.
I’m not positive on this one. Today Ford rep on this forum told me to get a 23S56 recall, I bet it’s a part of their playbook :(
Why would I go for a recall if all started after an OTA update?

naturalctx

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Premium ER RWD
Country flag
It is a concern that affects people only on the fringes of charging. Most don't notice the problem, only slower L2 charging at home AND increased energy costs on their electricity bill thanks to even less efficient charging. The only time it becomes an issue is when you are using an L1 charger and the car actually loses charge percentage slowly over time instead of gaining. @Ford Motor Company fix this and stop pretending it is not a problem!

sid234

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR
Country flag
It will not
Yeah - just checked. Plugged car in at 83% 1hr 3mins ago, now its at 81%. Charging with my Lvl 1 charger at 1kW charge rate.

Don't really want to go to the dealer again till Ford has a released fix - i dont want to get charged $150 by the dealer for "diagnostic check" and have issue blamed on my lvl 1 charger as the 9kW charger on site charges the car fine.

OP
OP
Matstar

Matstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
Don't really want to go to the dealer again till Ford has a released fix - i dont want to get charged $150 by the dealer for "diagnostic check" and have issue blamed on my lvl 1 charger as the 9kW charger on site charges the car fine.
The 9Kw will not charge fine. It will charge much slower than if it was plugged into a car without the problem.

ZedThou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kawasaki Ninja 1000, Genuine Buddy 170i
Country flag
What I see on a 7 kW L2 charger is that all of the energy first goes into heating the battery until it reaches 50° F (about 10 minutes or so if it started around 32° F) before the battery charges. This doesn't really draw much energy from the battery because the charger is powerful enough to provide it.

See the "EV Battery Power," "HVB Coolant heater" and "HvbT" numbers on the attached screenshots.

On the L1 charger it's a completely different story, obviously.

Screenshot_20231223_173254_400.png

Screenshot_20231223_173533_400.png

Last edited:

naturalctx

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Premium ER RWD
Country flag
Update for any tracking: Ford reached out to me yesterday and scheduled a service visit at my local dealer. Ford engineers will be working with the EV tech to troubleshoot and resolve....on 2/8/24 which was my dealer's next available service appointment. Parts may possibly take up to a month if there is a real problem outside of the software bug, and I get a Ford loaner in the meantime...6 weeks from now. 😑

katumba1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Infinite Blue, 2018 Expedition
Country flag
Update for any tracking: Ford reached out to me yesterday and scheduled a service visit at my local dealer. Ford engineers will be working with the EV tech to troubleshoot and resolve....on 2/8/24 which was my dealer's next available service appointment. Parts may possibly take up to a month if there is a real problem outside of the software bug, and I get a Ford loaner in the meantime...6 weeks from now. 😑
They should hopefully have a fix by then!

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
So is the best way to tell if your car has this issue to use the Ford charger as an L1 unit on a 120V outlet?

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
Thank you - that's an easy enough way to eliminate (or amplify) anyone's anxiety. ;)

If you do not regularly charge on L1 or low power L2, the likelihood this impacts you is infinitesimal small
I do often have to do L1 when visiting family/friends not close to L2 chargers, but have a 32A l2 charging setup at home. So, not freaking out, but am curious.
Sponsored