Hitch mount cargo rack drag efficiency?

DarkStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E SR RWD
Country flag
Has anyone tested one of the hitch-mounted flatbed cargo carriers with soft bags on their Mach-E? For one that is narrower than the vehicle, I assume it is mostly hidden from air drag, unless there are some vortices at the rear.

But has anyone tried a road trip with one loaded up and noticed a measurable impact on efficiency and range?
Sponsored

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Has anyone tested one of the hitch-mounted flatbed cargo carriers with soft bags on their Mach-E? For one that is narrower than the vehicle, I assume it is mostly hidden from air drag, unless there are some vortices at the rear.

But has anyone tried a road trip with one loaded up and noticed a measurable impact on efficiency and range?

I don't have a cargo bag, but I have taken numerous round trips over known routes with and without 2 bikes on hitch rack.... effect on miles/kw is negligible as far as I can tell. Much more impact from average speed with or without the bikes.

OP
OP
DarkStang

DarkStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E SR RWD
Country flag
I don't have a cargo bag, but I have taken numerous round trips over known routes with and without 2 bikes on hitch rack.... effect on miles/kw is negligible as far as I can tell. Much more impact from average speed with or without the bikes.
Thanks, that’s good to know. I assume a hitch bike rack would have an even bigger effect since it likely protrudes more into the airstream than a cargo box. If that’s minimal, hopefully the cargo rack box won’t be a big hit on range.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
Apologies for the slightly off topic question. Which hitch receiver did you get?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Apologies for the slightly off topic question. Which hitch receiver did you get?
Torklift
I wrote a detailed DIY install thread on my install.... it was one of the first mods I did. Search the threads I started....
Sponsored