rsaylor3

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-350 and soon Mach-E Premium Ext
Country flag
Does anyone have any experience with how much of a decrease in range is seen with a roof mounted cargo box?

Ordering a Thule setup and just wondering
Sponsored

andyrross

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD
Country flag
I haven't watched this, but I think it is exactly what you are looking for:

OP
OP

rsaylor3

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks Andy! I didn’t even think about checking YouTube for this, which now surprises me!

looks like not too much of an affect. Similar to what I seen on our Subaru Outback. I’m happy with that!

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
3.2 nothing on roof
2.6 roof racks
2.3 roof racks and box

That's a 28% hit. I'd call that "significant".

OP
OP

rsaylor3

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A hit for sure, but similar to what I seen on our previous car and I’m good with it. I’m ok with charging more to have the extra storage room for trips and with 2 kids someone always needs the restroom anyway:)

Jim D

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E - GT
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I don't think I lost anything near that with a kayak on my car.

glenthompson

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT Star White
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No idea but I remember a test VW did some years ago. They tested one of their cars with and without a ski rack on it and found the rack decreased gas mileage by 10%. I would expect that you would see a comparable reduction in range. Maybe more since cars are more aerodynamic today so the rack could have a more disruptive effect.

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
A hit for sure, but similar to what I seen on our previous car and I’m good with it. I’m ok with charging more to have the extra storage room for trips and with 2 kids someone always needs the restroom anyway:)
Just remember that with a cargo box that may double your cargo volume, it will likely mean your average cargo weight will also see a significant increase. A loss of 25% in efficiency I'm afraid would be on the low end.

iankellogg

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus ES 300h, Red Mach E XR AWD
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
No idea but I remember a test VW did some years ago. They tested one of their cars with and without a ski rack on it and found the rack decreased gas mileage by 10%. I would expect that you would see a comparable reduction in range. Maybe more since cars are more aerodynamic today so the rack could have a more disruptive effect.
Car's also have a much higher static energy consumption. EV's basically have zero static energy consumption so any increase in load is seen.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Sorry, but I have to agree with Rick. EVs are not the same as ICE when it comes to highway range. EVs are designed to be as aerodynamic as possible, so any addition, even just roof bars with nothing mounted, will impact range. I put a bike on the rear of my car and it easily reduced range by more than 10%. If I put a box on the roof, a 20% loss at highway speeds is totally reasonable.

It is what it is. If you need the space, charge more or take a bigger ICE vehicle on your trip.

glenthompson

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT Star White
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sorry, but I have to agree with Rick. EVs are not the same as ICE when it comes to highway range. EVs are designed to be as aerodynamic as possible, so any addition, even just roof bars with nothing mounted, will impact range. I put a bike on the rear of my car and it easily reduced range by more than 10%. If I put a box on the roof, a 20% loss at highway speeds is totally reasonable.

It is what it is. If you need the space, charge more or take a bigger ICE vehicle on your trip.
Did I not express myself well? I said that cars from 20+ years ago saw a 10% hit with a rack. My expectation is that an EV would see at least that amount and likely more. I’m surprised at the 28%. I would have expected something in the 15-20% range. Glad that I don’t leave my bike rack on my cars.

OP
OP

rsaylor3

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks everyone for your input! Same here, I don’t leave my bike rack on my truck and don’t plan to leave the rack or box on the car. But when you need them you use them right:)

Was hoping someone with the rack would chime in, and possibly they will at some point.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Did I not express myself well? I said that cars from 20+ years ago saw a 10% hit with a rack. My expectation is that an EV would see at least that amount and likely more. I’m surprised at the 28%. I would have expected something in the 15-20% range. Glad that I don’t leave my bike rack on my cars.
I suspect a hitch rack is better than a roof rack, but I don't have data to substantiate my conjecture. I have considered getting a hitch mounted box, but then I can't bring my bike with me.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Hey! I added a roof cargo box last year, and it did affect my fuel efficiency. I noticed about a 10-15% decrease in range, especially on highways. However, the convenience for family trips outweighed it for me.
just curious.... if you are a traveller, why didn't you opt for a hitch receiver + cargo rack in the back ?

better aero, way more convenient to load/unload, and easy to swap cargo platform rack for bike rack.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I suspect a hitch rack is better than a roof rack, but I don't have data to substantiate my conjecture. I have considered getting a hitch mounted box, but then I can't bring my bike with me.
-----
you can if you get a 'multi-bike' rack, and sacrifice 2 trays to mount a box on top.
Sponsored