NormE

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium
Country flag
I don't have the Ford wall charger, I just have the included Ford mobile charger. It comes with a 14-50 plug, but is only good to charge up to 32A (If I'm not mistaken) so once I have the 14-50 plug installed I can use that mobile charger for now and then later plug in a Chargepoint wall charger and get 40A.
That makes sense. Ty.
Sponsored

PilotMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Moke, FRS, Prius, FJR, 1966 Shelby Mustang
Country flag
I chose the Chargepoint home flex mainly because Dominion Energy provides a discount for that specific smart charger. The grizzly looked be good also.
I too have a 14-50 plug in the garage so I can use the ford mobile charging until the Chargepoint shows up. Also put the plug near the garage doors so I have the option of charging in or out of the garage. Or offer a friend a charge - wait all my friends think I'm crazy to by a battery car so I would be charging theirs .

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Expecting delivery of my Mach E premium Aug2-8.
would love some input on home chargers on 100amp system.
I would suggest you just stick with a NEMA 14-50 outlet, and use the included Ford mobile charger at 32 amps max. That way, you have an outlet handy to use for a generator when and if Grid power goes out.

unless you have a real NEED for fast than 7kw charging on a daily basis?

OP
OP

NormE

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium
Country flag
I would suggest you just stick with a NEMA 14-50 outlet, and use the included Ford mobile charger at 32 amps max. That way, you have an outlet handy to use for a generator when and if Grid power goes out.

unless you have a real NEED for fast than 7kw charging on a daily basis?
On,y issue is my 100amp system is full. Will likely need a load manager even just using the anemia 14-50.
I believe 32 amp charges at 22-25 miles per hour.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
On,y issue is my 100amp system is full. Will likely need a load manager even just using the anemia 14-50.
I believe 32 amp charges at 22-25 miles per hour.
Your 100a enclosure *may* accept tandem breakers to make room for an additional 50a circuit.... or you may have to have a service upgrade to a 200a enclosure installed....

Either way a licensed electrician can take a look and give you options.

nashbrydges

First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT performance
Country flag
I have 100A service in my house as well but I went with a 40A breaker. For my purposes I don't need to charge at 40A (50A breaker). I had the electrician install an outdoor NEMA 14-50 plug (no garage) on the side of my house.

From what I was told, it "isn't recommended" to run a 220V 50A breaker on a 100A service panel, especially if you have a larger home with higher energy demands. Options would be to install a load manager or you would upgrade to a 200A service. He mentioned if I wanted to install the 50A breaker anyways, it couldn't be given a certification.

To those above with 100A service/50A breakers: Did you get an inspection certificate?

Currently using the included charger (32A) with the 220V/14-50 plug. No issues.

Electrician used heavy enough gauge that it can be used with a 50A breaker later if I wish.
Where I live, the electrician obtained the install permit. With that approved, he was able to sign-off on the installation himself. No other certificate was required.

OP
OP

NormE

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium
Country flag
Had the Ford 60 amp charger installed on my full 100amp system. Certified electricians reworked some breaker’s to add 60 amp breaker. City inspected and approved. No problem. They did put in a load manager. Works great.

MWMME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
The Grizzl-E also has the option to customize the amperage you want to use to charge, so if you wanted to lower to from 40A down to 32A, 24A or 16A, you could.

I have this charger and absolutely love it. Super durable with a nice, long cable.
Another happy grizzl-e user here
Sponsored