bullshark

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E select AWD
Country flag
Try to figure out should I use 50AMP or 40AMP breaker. Will probably follow Tesla's guildline to install the NEMA outlet.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Last edited:

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I recommend that you use a 60amp breaker and wiring so you can upgrade to a 48amp charger later, and max out the MME charging speed.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I recommend that you use a 60amp breaker and wiring so you can upgrade to a 48amp charger later, and max out the MME charging speed.
I'll counter that recommendation. Even a 48A L2 charger isn't fast enough to be useful for a quick long distance charge, so you'll generally be charging overnight anyway. In that light there isn't much difference between 8 hours and 11 (assuming this is for an ER battery). Why use more expensive heavier gauge wire and add more load to your service than necessary?

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I thought that also, when I only had one BEV. The MME will be my third BEV, replacing the last gas-powered vehicle I own (I have 2.5 teenage drivers). Now I'm wishing I went bigger for $100 more.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I thought that also, when I only had one BEV. The MME will be my third BEV, replacing the last gas-powered vehicle I own (I have 2.5 teenage drivers). Now I'm wishing I went bigger for $100 more.
That would be one of the few reasons I could think of to go higher (the possibility of two BEVs in the garage). I know for us that's never likely to happen though. We're already in our 60's, plus I plan to always retain one ICE (for road trips) to pair with the BEV.

The other reason would be if I ever felt I'd have a short overnight charge. Either for the vehicle being out of the garage daily for 16+ hours (no), or if they ever switched us to time-of-day charging where the rates were cheaper after 10pm or something. But even then we'd have plenty of time to charge to full since we're retired and don't drive many daily miles.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
If you have 2 cars, do you charge one for a while and then swap the cable? With a 2 car garage and given the free mobile charger, 2 40A circuits (1 with a purchased EVSE, the other with a NEMA 14-50 socket for the mobile charger) would seem to be more practical to me, but I only have ICEs now.

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
Check with your electric utility...mine has a surcharge based on the peak usage for a given month. So even the 32A is bad....but it’s better than the 48A option!

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Check with your electric utility...mine has a surcharge based on the peak usage for a given month. So even the 32A is bad....but it’s better than the 48A option!
Mine does that too. Picks the highest 15-minute block of the month and slaps a rate like 10x on that. I've looked at a year's worth of my bills though and that's always mid-late afternoon (probably A/C, oven, and dryer all on same time). Even two 32A draws concurrently overnight wouldn't have come close to those afternoon peaks. We'll just want to make sure we never set it to charge in late afternoon to where it adds to that 15-minute peak at the super-high rate.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Sure, but assuming you plan ahead and have your electrician run 2 lines instead of one, I would expect the price for the electrician to be a lot less than that EVSE - again assuming the free mobile charger is the second EVSE in the garage. Or, as in my case if the service panel is in the garage and you are able to run a new line into it yourself the cost is relatively trivial for the second line.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Currently, with Covid we are charging on different days. My MB250e can charge at 11Kwh but the Bolt only ~7.6kWh. I'm either going to split the dryer outlet, install a new breaker, and split the NEMA 14-50, or something else I haven't thought of yet.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
There really is only a small % of use cases where you need the faster 48 amp charger.

If you're getting the SR Mach-E then you don't really need it at all.

99% of the time you'll be charging overnight which means it won't make a difference to you if it is completely charged at 4am or 5am.

The only time when it would be nice to have the faster charger is if you need a quick hit of miles before you have to go out (like returning home from work with only 10% and you'll want to add some range before going out again after dinner) in that case for a couple of hours of charging you'll gain an extra 18 miles or so (from the dealer training guide). That is about it. (If you have a DCFC nearby your house then you could avail yourself of that for the few times you need it but keep in mind it is expensive, even so, however, how many times could you do that vs spending the $ for Ford's Connected Charge Station/Level-2?)

So the real question is: do you want all the other bells & whistles that the Ford charger comes with and is that worth the $$ to you?
Sponsored