How have you never used L3 DCFC?

NewGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ready to order
Country flag
19 months and 16,000 miles. I’ve DCFCed three times, the first of which was just a test to see if it worked.

We’re away most weekends, but there’s an L2 at our destination; even if there wasn’t I could make it roundtrip without a charge.

Our one “roadtrip” required a DCFC on the way there, then used L2 chargers at two different hotels.
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Zero times myself as well and hope to never have to use it.

DC is slow, expensive and inconvenient. It’s also worse for your battery.

Use my wife’s Lincoln if we go anywhere far from home.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
To never have charged with DCFC is risky, since you should make sure it works.
Why do we need to know if it works if we never use it? ;)

For what it's worth, I don't know if the included level 2 EVSE works either since it's still in the trunk and wrapped in plastic.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Why do we need to know if it works if we never use it? ;)

For what it's worth, I don't know if the included level 2 EVSE works either since it's still in the trunk and wrapped in plastic.
Well, after 3 years / 36,000 miles, when one has to charge on DCFC because an emergency came up, and it doesn't work, that's going to be pretty expensive. ;)

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Never used L3 on my '21 Select, a few free L2 Voltas......my '23 Premium tried L3 once just to check it out, some L2 free Voltas when at the mall.....most of my charging since my '2013 c max energi, '21 Select, and now '23 Premium is at home on L1,,,,,,,

EMachE

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Mechanic
Country flag
I use the MachE to go to the cabin in the summer which if needed can be done with a full charge, otherwise just drive around the city. Might try a trip this year once the HVBJB is done

Richard L.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I'm retired. L2 handles my day to day needs. When I travel away from my home it's car service to the airports. I will eventually try L3 charging but after the HVBJB is replaced.

Jack Roberts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GT
Country flag
I see some people saying they have never used L3 DCFC. I want to know how that's possible.

Either you have never travelled further than your battery range in a single day or you had time to L2 charge for several hours during the long trip.

Do you just never travel outside your city, ever? Or do you use an ICE vehicle for your long trips?
I have a 2021 Mach e GTPE that has never been charged on anything but my home charger. I have a 2023 Maverick ECB if I am going farther than 200 miles round trip.

exfordguy

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lincoln Aviator. 202Mach-E Premium.
Occupation
Retired from Ford IT
Country flag
My '21 Job 1 Premium was charged once at the dealership prior to delivery, and from that point I never charged it anywhere but home until I traded it in on my '23 Premium last month. We use it as a local commuter only, we drive my Aviator for any significant distance. It's more of a comfort decision than anything.

JeffGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD ext range
Country flag
I have only used DCFC twice since I got the car in July 2021. Once on day 2, just to see how it works and make sure my Blue Oval charge thing worked. New EA charger at a bank in town. Then once more last September when I got a charge fault at home, just to see if I could still do it. That worked and no further issues with my home charging.

I don't take a lot of road trips, the longest was about 160 miles round trip and I charged to 100% at home.

CTZ

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E
I just got my MME a couple of weeks ago so haven't fast charged yet. Probably won't until Tesla chargers are available, given the experiences people have had with the non-Teslas.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I rarely DC charge. Maybe on average once a month but it's more like I DC charge 2-4 times in a month on a trip and then none for 3 months.

I can imagine some folks never DC charging. A friend is like that with his Rivian R1T. He uses his gas vehicle to ferry is family around on trips.

Zekester

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E, 2015 F-150, 2020 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Tried it once at a Walmart a week after I took delivery to see if it worked. Was accosted by a Cobra owner who wanted to make sure I understood the car was not a “real” mustang, whatever that is. Never needed it since, level 2 chargers have been sufficient and available for longer weekend trips. Hope to experiment with a couple of longer trips this year.

CWSpook

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium ER AWD, 2023 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've only used DCFC twice in the year we've owned the 22 Premium, once in Madison WI, and once in Iowa City. The other time I tried to use one was in Cedar Rapids. It wasn't working, nor was the one at a Lincoln dealership. I believe the entire Charge Point network was down that day. I wound up sitting there on a L2 for an hour and a half to get just enough charge to get us back home. For now, the MME will only be used for trips within the range of a full charge from home; Rochester, LaCrosse, Praire DuChien & the like. The Jeep 4xe will be our backup for longer trips.
Sponsored