GuliblGuy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black 2021 Premium 4X Mach E
Country flag
I've seen people commenting they wish there was a dog mode, but not really any how to steps to make one until Ford officially pushes one out (if ever).

So here's what I do:
I made a sketch that I have saved so I can pull it up at any time (I found the yellow on black had the best visibility). I left some space at the top because if you take your phone with you there could be an error message that pops up saying it disconnected from your phone.

Once I park I go into the settings, turn OFF the auto 30 minute off timer, pull up the sketch and leave that displayed, get out of the car, use fob to lock the car, or you can hit lock in the FordPass app, or hit 7-8 &9-0 buttons on the door (you can't go back and check to make sure, as with the fob/phone in your hand when you push the button the door will open, just hit lock a few times to be safe), and then I'm good to go!

Edited to add: You will leave the car ON and running, do not shut it off or put it in acessory mode (in case that wasn't clear)

Ford Mustang Mach-E How I make a makeshift DIY Dog Mode PXL_20220623_192920932
Sponsored

Last edited:

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I see a big problem with this if your dog knows how to drive. Maybe cats are smarter? Don't know...

d6d7dcc2-2063-49e1-8af0-6b6b13a1baa3.jpg

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Wait, it is a problem. Never leave your fob with your dog!

Ford Mustang Mach-E How I make a makeshift DIY Dog Mode dogs driving.PNG

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I've seen people commenting they wish there was a dog mode, but not really any how to steps to make one until Ford officially pushes one out (if ever).

So here's what I do:
I made a sketch that I have saved so I can pull it up at any time. I left some space at the top because if you take your phone with you there could be an error message that pops up saying it disconnected from your phone.

Once I park I go into the settings, turn OFF the auto 30 minute off timer, take keys out of my pocket and leave them in the car hidden, pull up the sketch and leave that displayed, get out of the car, use the pillar buttons to lock the car (7-8 & 9-0 at same time), check to make sure door actually locked, and then I'm good to go!

Ford Mustang Mach-E How I make a makeshift DIY Dog Mode dogs driving.PNG
Yeah, I posted about this in the dog mode thread a few months ago, but don’t think anyone noticed :(

WNKent

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CR1 4X
Occupation
Airline
Country flag
I know that family. They only drive Subarus.
And feel guilty when they see a Dachshund staring at a hot dog stand.

I'm fearful and have no doubt, my Dachshund can figure sh*t out and go for a ride!

On a side note, how long will the car stay on and the 7-8 9-0 locks the car, with no alarm?

IMG_3594.jpeg

OP
OP
GuliblGuy

GuliblGuy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And feel guilty when they see a Dachshund staring at a hot dog stand.

I'm fearful and have no doubt, my Dachshund can figure sh*t out and go for a ride!

On a side note, how long will the car stay on and the 7-8 9-0 locks the car, with no alarm?

Ford Mustang Mach-E How I make a makeshift DIY Dog Mode IMG_3594
If you turn off the 30 min timer... Till the big battery dies I suppose.

gpgrim

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 4XP, MB E-350, Exp. EB, Subaru XTrek
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
I see a big problem with this if your dog knows how to drive. Maybe cats are smarter? Don't know...

Ford Mustang Mach-E How I make a makeshift DIY Dog Mode IMG_3594
Hah! I think I just found a new name for my MME, "the Tooncinator!" I spose I'll need to change my avatar to a Linda Hamilton snap now. 🤣

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
@GuliblGuy Great writup but I would suggest that you take the key with you. I suggest doing this for two reasons:

1. Taking the key with you prevents an intruder from shifting the vehicle out of park. The MME requires a key to be present or the start pass code to be be entered on the touch screen.

2. Taking the key with you covers your butt if someone breaks in and steals the vehicle. Many insurance companies will not cover a theft if the driver leaves the keys in the vehicle.

JryErok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME SR RWD Lucid Red
Country flag
Wow, I actually didn't know there was a way to disable the 30-minute shutdown timer.

OP
OP
GuliblGuy

GuliblGuy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@GuliblGuy Great writup but I would suggest that you take the key with you. I suggest doing this for two reasons:

1. Taking the key with you prevents an intruder from shifting the vehicle out of park. The MME requires a key to be present or the start pass code to be be entered on the touch screen.

2. Taking the key with you covers your butt if someone breaks in and steals the vehicle. Many insurance companies will not cover a theft if the driver leaves the keys in the vehicle.
I was finding the door was not locking with the pillar buttons if I had the key with me out of the car, leaving the car running and unlocked. Maybe I need to test it more.

It would also say no key detected and I was worried it might shut off with the dog in the car.

Last edited:

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
I was finding the door was not locking with the pillar buttons if I had the key with me out of the car, leaving the car running and unlocked. Maybe I need to test it more.

It would also say no key detected and I was worried it might shut off with the dog in the car.
Interesting. I've been able to lock mine. I think that I used the pillar buttons but I may have simply used the fob after I exited the vehicle.
Sponsored