How long should you precondition the battery before leaving?

L&B

First Name
RL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MACH E California Route 1 2022
Country flag
I have never understood why people desire that feature. The battery heats up while DCFCing and then must be cooled once plugged in anyway. Besides, the energy consumed to attempt to pre-heat the HVB in route will severely impact range and surely be offset by the increased time required on plug to replenish that energy.

I believe Ford tested that quite extensively and found that pre-heating the pack prior to DCFC didn't net any substantial gains in time or energy.
What is DCFC or DCFCing? Excuse my ignorance. I am trying to figure out why preconditioning the battery does not work in my car. I followed all the instructions by setting up the time of departure and keeping the car plugged in and fully charged.
Sponsored

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What is DCFC or DCFCing? Excuse my ignorance. I am trying to figure out why preconditioning the battery does not work in my car. I followed all the instructions by setting up the time of Departure and keeping the car plugged in and fully charged.
DCFC is DC fast charging and is what the high power chargers are called that you use when you travel and pay to charge. It has nothing to do with preconditioning your car when at home before you leave. That requires a 240V AC charger and the departure schedule set up on your fordpass app or in the car under the cars settings ==> charging or departure/climate.

If it is not working this fall for you may be see this thread Link and post what you are doing. We may be able to help or may be your software is broke? I have not tested it for a bit but it has been a no go here and appears not to be a Fordpass issue as taking it out of the loop and setting it in sync has done no good. Wish I could just help out on how it works but like normal I can not.

L&B

First Name
RL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MACH E California Route 1 2022
Country flag
Many thanks for the information.
Sponsored