How many amps should I set the charger for?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Very cool. My portable I have been using since we bought the car new in July has started turning orange. I’ve been able to reset it and blue twice in a week. I’m not confident it will last plugged in all the time.
Even if you intend to buy a better EVSE, you should try to get your Ford Mobile unit replaced under warranty.
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I can't reduce the amperage in the Chargepoint app, so is the only way to do it to remove it from my account and re-pair/reprovision it?
You can now:

Ford Mustang Mach-E How many amps should I set the charger for? IMG_2399

hprose

First Name
Harvey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250 and a Mach-e on order
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
You need to set the charger amperage based on the breaker that protects the circuit. The MME can use up to 48A, which requires a 60A breaker.
And #6 wire

hprose

First Name
Harvey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250 and a Mach-e on order
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Yeah, it’s already wired for #6 Awg. The outlet is about 5 feet away from the outlet and the outlet another 4 feet away from the car.
With your 6 wire you can go 48A with a 60 breaker or 40A with a 50 breaker.

Stu H

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT PE
Country flag
When we built tge house in 2017 we anticipated an EV and put in an outlet in the garage for such...but put in a 30 Amp in the garage.
Coupled with a Programmable 'Juicebox' charger set to 30 amps, we can charge on demand or at scheduled 'non peak' times.
My new 'barn/shop/garage' will be serviced with a 240v 60 Amp feed to additional subpage using #4 CU THWN wire via underground pvc conduit (30+" depth).
I will most likely use either a 30 or 40 Amp breaker circuit (nice to have the choice) for the outlet for a charger in the new structure, but can also set it up to power an air compressor.

OrchidMania

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Premium ER
Occupation
Retired IT, School Math Volunteer
Country flag
I live in Miami. No garage. My husband installed a Grizzle for me. We have a 50 amp circuit and based on comments here we set the Grizzle at 32 (vs 40). Charges at 7kwh/hour

Stu H

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT PE
Country flag
Oh, per foot costs worked out approximately as follows
2 1/2" pvc conduit $2.30
#4 Cu THWN wire x4 (ea) $ 2.00
Breaker to sub panel TBD
Sub panel Breaker TBD
Glue $1.00
Misc fittings $ 1.00
Sub panel box $ .25
Band aids, etc. $ .02

I did not include my labor cost nor that of mini excavator in tge calculation as I had that, fish tape and rope to pull wire on hand.

Photo shows underground feed coming up but not the riser or pull box/service entrance into structure.

20231111_092451.jpg

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
I just found a Reddit thread that said people were able to get it to work that way. Remove it from your account, unplug the unit for a while, then add it again like it's new.
That's kinda how the Tesla WallConnector is. Except it resets when it loses power. Which is the stupidest design I could see. Say I want it and can only set up for 32 amps charge. It resets to 48amps because it lost power. I plug in car says, oh nice gimme 48amps, Charger says ok, breaker say nope, or the wiring. I didn't test this out but in the couple times I fliped the breaker just to change the breaker size this was the observed behavior of the 3rd gen WallConnector (which is supposed to get an app update to enable better charge rate control. Better, but how is still undefined I believe).

I have a sealed (yeah what a dumb design) south facing garage with an insulated garage door and dual pane windows. I've also had a thermometer in there for a couple years. My FFE charges at 6.6 but it charges to 100% at 6.6 and tapers in the last couple kW. So there's a boat load of heat and a Heirer Jet taking off for 3 hours when it was charing in the garage. My garage would get up over 125 degrees at 1am in summer when the lows were only around the upper 90's. Heat soaking everything in the garage. I could crack the garage door open but every neighborhood cat would come play and fight in the garage, so I gave up on that.

When I got my MME in January I plugged it into my Clipper HCS40 (feeds at 32amp). I was astounded, no fans, no heat (that I noticed) but I was only charing to 80%.Fast forward a bit when i realize, he I can increase my charge rate by nearly 5kW, almost double! Heck yeah! So II bought the WallConnector because it was fairly cheap and SRP kicked back $250 to me for buying it. So I wire that up (totally admiring the cable and connector and stoked that I could monitor it, with a 3rd party app, and make adjustments, with a 15 min PITA reprovisioning of the EVSE.) Set it up for 48amps. Plug in and the fans kick on, things make noise and I think, this is great, MOAR POWAH! I let it power charge for a couple hours thinking 'This is great I can charge in the morning when I walk the dog and have more than enough for the day even if the battery was at 0%", which never happens.

Then I pulled up the graph. https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/l2-38-48-amp-charging-flux.27831/

Then I started lowering my amperage on the WallConnecter. Noticing garage temps and fan noise. (But at the same time my pumps wern't even running, another bug that was resolved in a OTA months later or by my multiple resets of the car)
Then I talked with Tesla support, who replaced the ESVE because we couldn't 'see' the MME forcing the derating that is this other much bigger thread: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/l2-charging-speed-recently-dropped-33.28779/
Then I installed the replacement Tesla ESVE
Then I replaced the WallConnector because I wanted the ability to adjust the charge on the fly. The Emporia has a thing when you set it up you set the breaker size. Then it won't let you adjust the rate above that breaker setting. It also gave a nicer graph than the 3rd party T app.
That has been my 10 months with the MME. All this said, because I don't run my battery down a ton, drive all over town or even commute to work I've been able to totally live with 32amps. You milage may vary.

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Oh, per foot costs worked out approximately as follows
2 1/2" pvc conduit $2.30
#4 Cu THWN wire x4 (ea) $ 2.00
Breaker to sub panel TBD
Sub panel Breaker TBD
Glue $1.00
Misc fittings $ 1.00
Sub panel box $ .25
Band aids, etc. $ .02

I did not include my labor cost nor that of mini excavator in tge calculation as I had that, fish tape and rope to pull wire on hand.

Photo shows underground feed coming up but not the riser or pull box/service entrance into structure.

Ford Mustang Mach-E How many amps should I set the charger for? 20231111_092451
That pipe is way oversized. Makes pulling easy, though. And for the ground wire, #8 is all you needed.

George Knighton

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE
Occupation
Retired. I'd say it was a mid life crisis, but not many people live to 140.
Country flag
Ford Pass says I charge at 8 kW no matter what.

🤷‍♂️

I guess it's the bug people have been talking about. Not too worried. 8 kW is enough.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Even if you intend to buy a better EVSE, you should try to get your Ford Mobile unit replaced under warranty.
This for sure because the Ford one is $500, not that it's better in any way shape or form than most of the sub $250 mobile chargers on Amazon.

Ajax

First Name
Ajax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue 4x Extended
Country flag
You can now:

Ford Mustang Mach-E How many amps should I set the charger for? 20231111_092451
Thanks! I'll need to test this out next time I charge—is that from the charge screen/status itself or in Home > Settings for you? I might be pending an app update as well.

machme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 GT
Country flag
I just installed the new Tesla Universal Wall Charger. Hardwired, 4 gauge wire, 60A breaker, charger doing 48 amps and 11.2KW. FordPass shows the car receiving 10.XKW (varies) but an expected 1KW loss. Works well so far.
It's more that what I really need but had reliability issues with a WallBox 40A, 14-50 connection.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Thanks! I'll need to test this out next time I charge—is that from the charge screen/status itself or in Home > Settings for you? I might be pending an app update as well.
Under settings
Sponsored