Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
There is no official guidance from Ford yet on cleaning or inspecting your charge port. I recommend cleaning it a couple times per year. A dirty charge port could potentially cause a poor connection, resulting in charging issues such as failure to start, dropouts, or overheating.

Please note, you must be careful when cleaning the port so as not to cause damage. Heed all Warnings here.

Step 1 - Blow Out Port
Use compressed air or a gas duster to blow out any dust in the port:

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to Clean Your Charge Port IMG_2166

Don't forget the DC pins:

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to Clean Your Charge Port IMG_2167

Step 2 - Inspect for Damage
Inspect the pins carefully with a flashlight for any signs of damage or melting. The left pin in this port is melted:

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to Clean Your Charge Port Melted Charge Port

There should be a black thermoplastic tip on the top two AC pins, and the two large DC pins. Damaged pins can severely impact charge rate. Contact your dealer for charge port replacement if you have damaged pins. The charge port is covered by the 8yr/100k EV warranty.

Step 3 - Clean Pins With a Swab
You may use a Q-tip dry, or with a zero residue solvent like 91% isopropyl alcohol or MAF cleaner to wipe the sides of the pins clean.

Warning — Do not spray anything into the charge port! Wet the Q-tip first.

Warning — Do not force the Q-tip into the port, you may bend the pins! If it won't fit without resistance, pull the cotton up off the tip to fluff it up and loosen it. Pull and twist the cotton until it's thin enough to fit past the pins with no resistance.

Your main focus should be on the top two AC pins, and the bottom two large DC pins which carry all the current for charging. Be especially careful with the small two signal pins, they probably don't need much cleaning.

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to Clean Your Charge Port IMG_2169

Also clean the DC pins:

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to Clean Your Charge Port IMG_2170

Dirt/grease removed:

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to Clean Your Charge Port IMG_2173

Step 4 - Clean Border
Clean the border channel where the plug body inserts, both around the circle at the top (AC) and the oval at the bottom (DC). Make sure there is no sand or small stones in here, which can interfere with plug insertion.

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to Clean Your Charge Port IMG_2171

Step 5 - Clean Your J1772 Plug
Carefully clean inside your J1772 pin sockets. Again, focus on the top two, skip the small ones since they are too small to clean.

Warning — Make sure no cotton gets stuck inside the sockets, this could cause a fire!

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to Clean Your Charge Port IMG_2175

Step 6 – Final Blow and Inspection
Give the charge port a final blow, and inspect it carefully with a flashlight for any remaining cotton fragments or detritus.

Warning — Make sure there is no cotton left in the charge port, this could cause a fire!

Warning — Wait at least 30 minutes for solvents to dry before plugging in to charge.

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to Clean Your Charge Port IMG_2166

Warning — Do not apply anything to the charge pins, they are meant to be DRY. Do not apply any grease, including dielectric grease!

J1772 pins are designed to be a dry wiping contact. They are silver coated and don't need anything else. Grease will attract dirt.

Last edited:

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Thank you for a very helpful post. An easy DIY project.

kodiakng

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Cyber Orange 4X Mach-E
Country flag
great post. i've also been inspecting the pins of charger stations before attachment - those things can get nasty.

charge port hygiene and prophylaxis is a good thing.

thekat03

First Name
Kat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E CR-1, 2022 Volvo C40
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
One thing I miss from the bZ4X is the inner door to cover the J1772 port in addition to the DC charging pins for CCS1. I am sure it could still get dirty, but that extra layer of protection from outside elements was nice.

T.S.

First Name
Sue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
great post. i've also been inspecting the pins of charger stations before attachment - those things can get nasty.

charge port hygiene and prophylaxis is a good thing.
Good idea. I have yet to use anything outside of my garage, but when I do, I'll be prepared!
Sponsored