Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Yesterday, I drove to the office (I work in University City, Philadelphia), and live in the western suburbs. The commute is about 22 miles, 20 of which are on what is optimistically referred to as an "expressway" in this area.
When I pulled out of my garage at home, the car reported:
213 miles of range
96% battery
When I parked in the garage at work, the car reported:
216 miles of range (oh, really?)
90% battery
The trip computer reported:
Trip distance: 23 miles
Trip time: 48 minutes
15% climate use (interesting, since I had the climate control turned off, and wasn't using the seat heaters or heated steering wheel)
77% route
6% accessories
8% Ext Temp (What's that all about?)
That totals to 106% BTW :D

I returned directly home, simply reversing the route. When I got home, the car reported:
200 miles of range
81% battery
Trip distance: 22.2 miles
Trip time: 42 minutes
14% climate use (again, no climate control, seat heaters, or heated steering wheel was used)
73% Route
6% accessories
8% Ext. Temp
BTW, that's a total of 101% :D

So, a couple of observations: To go TO work, I used 4% battery, but to go HOME, I used 9% battery! My average speed going INTO the office was 28.75 MPH, and my average speed going home was 31.7 MPH. I'm not sure 3 MPH at a low average speed would result in a 5% increase in battery consumption? That doesn't make sense.

Next, traveling 23 miles resulted in a 3 mile increase in range? and a 22 mile trip resulted in a 16 mile decrease in range? A 44 mile round-trip resulted in a net 13 mile decrease in range? Really? That seems illogical.

Finally, Why is it claiming I'm using any power for climate when I have the climate control system turned off? and why is the sum of the energy consumption over 100% (I could buy 101%, MAYBE even 102% for rounding, but I'm not buying 105%! That's not "rounding error" :D)
Thoughts?
Sponsored

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
There are tons of things in play here....
1. Temperatures on the way to and from can affect range efficiency.
2. while the distance might be the same each way, that does t necessarily mean that your acceleration and braking events (both the volume of them and their severity) were the same.
3. your cars range computer is undoubtedly still learning your driving style along with how the vehicle responds to environmental inputs.
4. they don’t call it the “Guess-O-Meter” for nothing.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
I've had two EV's, been driving all-electric for eight years (over 100K miles), and I literally NEVER look at the Guess-O-Meter. I learned early on that it was not accurate and was only a (usually) poor estimation.
I learned quickly about what affected range and by how much: driving style, hills, temperature, etc., and am very good at knowing how far I can go.
My point is, don't take that very seriously, because it can get you into trouble if you rely on it.

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford F-150, 2018 Tesla Model 3 & 2 Ducati M/C
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
Yesterday, I drove to the office (I work in University City, Philadelphia), and live in the western suburbs. The commute is about 22 miles, 20 of which are on what is optimistically referred to as an "expressway" in this area.
When I pulled out of my garage at home, the car reported:
213 miles of range
96% battery
When I parked in the garage at work, the car reported:
216 miles of range (oh, really?)
90% battery
Trip distance: 23 miles
Trip time: 48 minutes
15% climate use (interesting, since I had the climate control turned off, and wasn't using the seat heaters or heated steering wheel)
77% route
6% accessories
8% Ext Temp (What's that all about?)
That totals to 106% BTW :D

I returned directly home, simply reversing the route. When I got home, the car reported:
200 miles of range
81% battery
Trip distance: 22.2 miles
Trip time: 42 minutes
14% climate use (again, no climate control, seat heaters, or heated steering wheel was used)
73% Route
6% accessories
8% Ext. Temp
BTW, that's a total of 101% :D

So, a couple of observations: To go TO work, I used 4% battery, but to go HOME, I used 9% battery! My average speed going INTO the office was 28.75 MPH, and my average speed going home was 31.7 MPH. I'm not sure 3 MPH at a low average speed would result in a 5% increase in battery consumption? That doesn't make sense.

Next, traveling 23 miles resulted in a 3 mile increase in range? and a 22 mile trip resulted in a 16 mile decrease in range? A 44 mile round-trip resulted in a net 13 mile decrease in range? Really? That seems illogical.

Finally, Why is it claiming I'm using any power for climate when I have the climate control system turned off? and why is the sum of the energy consumption over 100% (I could buy 101%, MAYBE even 102% for rounding, but I'm not buying 105%! That's not "rounding error" :D)
Thoughts?
I wonder if there is a way to make it report remaining range using the simple formula (kWh remaining battery energy x number of EPA miles/kWh). That way your remaining range would always be the remaining range under average conditions which would be easier to make sense of.

My F-150 does the same stupid thing with range remaining. I was cutting firewood in the mountains and had to head home because it said my remaining range was only 34 miles. I thought I had misjudged how much gas I had. So I headed back to my cabin with only 1/2 load of wood. The next day I was driving home hoping I could make it to the first gas station but before long it said I had 170 miles of range left! WTF!

Yes, I know what it was doing now that I think about it, but I don't like it. It's not useful information when it's all over the board like that. Our Tesla's have two screens, depending upon which one you want to use. I like the one that doesn't try to guess for you. It's much more reliable.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Which is the “guess o meter”? The range estimate or the battery charge level? Or do you mean both? In which case, owning the car will be ... interesting.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I wonder if there is a way to make it report remaining range using the simple formula (kWh remaining battery energy x number of EPA miles/kWh). That way your remaining range would always be the remaining range under average conditions which would be easier to make sense of.

My F-150 does the same stupid thing with range remaining. I was cutting firewood in the mountains and had to head home because it said my remaining range was only 34 miles. I thought I had misjudged how much gas I had. So I headed back to my cabin with only 1/2 load of wood. The next day I was driving home hoping I could make it to the first gas station but before long it said I had 170 miles of range left! WTF!

Yes, I know what it was doing now that I think about it, but I don't like it. It's not useful information when it's all over the board like that. Our Tesla's have two screens, depending upon which one you want to use. I like the one that doesn't try to guess for you. It's much more reliable.
I’m not sure I follow your example? With internal combustion engine vehicles, my rule of thumb was to always begin looking for a gas station once the needle hit 1/4 of a tank. I never paid attention to range, and I never wanted to be “that guy” who was proud to demonstrate that they could go another 20 miles after hitting E. Always seemed silly to me.

Darken

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Prius Prime, 2021 Mach-E Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Would that be the 'Surekill Expressway' you are traveling on Jim? That would explain the average speed you listed with most of the travel on an 'expressway' ? I don't miss Phiily traffic one bit!

Anyway I think the odd statistics aside you will find the range will level off as you drive the car more. Guess-O-Meter refers to your range estimate...and it has been enormously pessimistic in my experience.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
Which is the “guess o meter”? The range estimate or the battery charge level? Or do you mean both? In which case, owning the car will be ... interesting.
GOM = range estimate
An accurate battery charge level is essential.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
At the present time no. But also that’s not necessarily a valid measurement either. We know that in temperate conditions the MME is exceeding EPA estimates, thus for me the display you’re describing would be lower than the GOM is currently. If we had a choice, I’d rather see an average miles per kWh (over some undetermined time frame, perhaps the last hour) multiplied by the remaining kWh. Because I’d rather not do the math myself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Would that be the 'Surekill Expressway' you are traveling on Jim? That would explain the average speed you listed with most of the travel on an 'expressway' ? I don't miss Phiily traffic one bit!

Anyway I think the odd statistics aside you will find the range will level off as you drive the car more. Guess-O-Meter refers to your range estimate...and it has been enormously pessimistic in my experience.
Lol precisely! That’s why I dread “return to the office.” Actually, I really like philly as long as I don’t have to go into town for work (and pay City wage tax ?)
Thanks for the definition! I was never sure from the context which people were referring to.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

Dmhccs

First Name
Dani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo XC90 recharge, 2021 Mach e GTPE
Occupation
Business owner
Country flag

That “expressway” is a solid nightmare 24/7

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
At the present time no. But also that’s not necessarily a valid measurement either. We know that in temperate conditions the MME is exceeding EPA estimates, thus for me the display you’re describing would be lower than the GOM is currently. If we had a choice, I’d rather see an average miles per kWh (over some undetermined time frame, perhaps tge last hour) multiplied by the remaining kWh. Because I’d rather not do the math myself.
So, I figured out that miles per kWh is analogous to MPH. If so, you’re right, instantaneous MkWh (is that a valid unit?) is just an amusing display. It sounds like, as long as the battery gauge is accurate AND linear, one should just treat the range estimate as an approximate gauge and drive just the way you would a normal car, by the battery (fuel) gauge, and “fill” the tank (to whatever the appropriate percentage is), when it drops “close” to empty (or fill it every night).

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
That “expressway” is a solid nightmare 24/7
During the depths of the hard lockdown, I was able to make it from my home to my office in under 25 minutes! And parking in the garage at work was free! (Normally, I take the train, but sadly, Amtrak has canceled the service I use, and septa has switched all services to local - ugh).
now everyone understands why I keep asking about a detailed map for BlueCruise! I know my route is on SuperCruise! I’m hoping it’s on BlueCruise!

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
With internal combustion engine vehicles, my rule of thumb was to always begin looking for a gas station once the needle hit 1/4 of a tank. I never paid attention to range, and I never wanted to be “that guy” who was proud to demonstrate that they could go another 20 miles after hitting E. Always seemed silly to me.
There's no reason you need to change this behavior. Just ignore the range and keep an eye on how much battery charge you have left. When you get close to 25%, plug it in.
Sponsored