I hate to say it but ... I'm looking at other cars....

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
Has anyone gotten their $500 back? I don't have a vin and a confirmed order doesn't appear in sight ,the more I think about it do I really need to spend $56,000 on a car? I look around I think I may just buy a loaded Hyundai Elantra that get's 41 MPG ...next to my RAM that gets 13 MPG and the MME extended battery (312?) range ...the Hyundai may have won the day sadly
Believe me... when you are in your MachE and you see a Hyundai Elantra roll up next to you... you will be glad you got the MachE. It's an exceptional car.
Sponsored

OP
OP
lawman1108

lawman1108

First Name
Pmac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME, 2015 Ford Exp sport, Audi TT quarto 6sp
Country flag
Gas prices have doubled from the past year. If you are now paying $600 per month you would have been paying $300 per month in the previous year. (assuming you are driving the same amount of miles)

You are now contemplating replacing your Truck with a "car". This leads me to think that you didn't really need a truck but rather a vehicle for transportation which begs the question, why did you purchase a gas hog in the first place? Gas prices are similar now as they were in 2008. You would have saved almost $200 per month last year if you would not have had a truck that gets such poor mileage but rather a car that gets 30 mpg. Gas prices will most likely go up and down like they have done the past 20 years. There are too many factors that are out of our control to guess what gas prices will do for the foreseeable future. More times than not, when the economy crashes the gas prices go down and vice versa. Damn if you do, damn if you don't type of thing.

If you are now having an epiphany moment, I would suggest getting a new financial advisor on all further purchases. ?

If you were/are thinking about buying a 50K plus vehicle because the extra $300 now hurts, I am thinking you should be taking the bus. Interest rates will go up (as they should IMO) and you will be seen posting about high interest rates after dropping 50K on a car.

If this is purely a financial decision, don't buy a 50K car. Trade in your truck for a less expensive economical car and save up your money to purchase an EV down the road when the pain of $300 goes away. If an extra $300 is the breaking point, a new high price car will exacerbate that.

I have never in my life thought about buying a new 50K car and replacing the one I currently drive to save money. I usually trade up for the convenience rather than the monthly cost at the end of the day.

Just sayin'..................
I own a truck because I own a house . I used to own "cars" but sold them because the market for them was high and I made money. I want a "car" because the truck is not great for a 55 mile trip into NY city. I can afford any car I want that does not mean I WANT to waste 600 a month on gas. That being said is I am not sure 50 plus thousand on a EV is the way to go when you can get a Hybrid that goes 550 miles on a tank of gas for 35K...the EVs are fast and no gas. I am just venting

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Driving School Instructor
Country flag
I own a truck because I own a house . I used to own "cars" but sold them because the market for them was high and I made money. I want a "car" because the truck is not great for a 55 mile trip into NY city. I can afford any car I want that does not mean I WANT to waste 600 a month on gas. That being said is I am not sure 50 plus thousand on a EV is the way to go when you can get a Hybrid that goes 550 miles on a tank of gas for 35K...the EVs are fast and no gas. I am just venting
It sounds like you and I are in total agreement for what you should purchase going forward. Like I have said all along, people that don't really "need" a truck have no business complaining about mpg if they do indeed decide to get a vehicle that gets extremely poor mileage. I purchased a small trailer with an 8 foot bed and it actually hauls more than a pickup and it is lower to the ground. Almost any vehicle can pull a small trailer and like you said, it can be done with 30 mpg + year round.

When gas prices went down, I suddenly saw all these large SUV's and Trucks fly off the dealerships lot and I would just wonder what the heck they were thinking. Anyone that lived through the 70's surely can (should) relate to this. It is unfortunate that people in the late 70's didn't take the advice of Carter. If we (as a society) would have invested in alternative fuels back in the day, we wouldn't be having this discussion now. Solar power would be king and much farther advanced and electric vehicles would be about 20 years ahead of the curve. Once again, cheap gas was the real enemy of not being progressive (forward thinking) IMO. Whether gas is cheap or not, one should really focus on energy conservation no matter what. If everyone would have purchased more fuel efficient cars since the 70's, we would not be seeing high prices now. Lower demand = lower price.

Very few people hate to admit it, but Carter was spot on with the way we should have addressed energy. Reagan ripped the solar panels off the White House and oil became King. Now how did that turn out?

In any event, I hope you find what you need. ?

Last edited:

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
What does owning a house have to do with owning a truck? I get that having a truck can make some homeowner tasks easier. But I own a house and have never encountered a situation where I needed to have a truck.

JerryL

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport
Country flag
Forget the gas prices, the parking in NYC is a killer on its own.

Bob W

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E (ordered)
Occupation
Comms Manager
Country flag
I'm glad I waited. It was maddening, and I was fortunate in that I had reliable cars while I waited. But I plan to hang onto my MME for a long time, and don't see another ICE car in our future. Good luck.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
What does owning a house have to do with owning a truck? I get that having a truck can make some homeowner tasks easier. But I own a house and have never encountered a situation where I needed to have a truck.
If you are a DIY type person, then a truck or at the very least a car with a trailer is a must. IMHO

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
If you are a DIY type person, then a truck or at the very least a car with a trailer is a must. IMHO
All this made me think of was this movie.

I wish I could find the clip after this one where Mark Wahlberg asks Will Ferrell why he needs to hire a real man to fix his house for him. ?

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I 100% agree. Just this past weekend I used my trailer to bring home 2 sheets of drywall. Often I have used it to take old furniture to the charity drop off or the dump (like, sadly, our old piano that nobody wants). I love that trailer. And the best thing is it folds up in my garage and I can still park both cars inside.

Reactions: TRP

Triggerhappy007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Premium VB & 22 Select GB
Country flag
I'm glad you didn't get that Elantra. I don't know anyone who would cross shop a Mach-E and Elantra.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Competition is a good thing. Overall I think I like the Mach E better, although that is without a test drive or seeing the EV6 in person, but it does have some pros over the Mach E so would be close, and one on the lot as a huge plus over multi-month wait...

dbernard

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Hey there
Maybe it is different, I am in Switzerland. My car was ordered on September 15th. First build date was for January 20th, then February 14th and finally was built on March 7th. Then it takes almost 3 months to ship to Europe. So I am looking at receiving my car end of May.
Yes, I agree, 7 months to wait for a car is exagerated.

SanoBeach

First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Country flag
It’s worth the wait, I have 10,000miles on a MME Select and am having so much fun experiencing an EV. The smiles per mile outstrip that Elantra, don’t do it.
Sponsored