Ideas for new charging setup

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
Since both vehicles have the plug on the same side, and the truck fills the bay to the wall, you'd have to back the truck in to share the cord, assuming the cord would reach from where it is.

The garage is 3 wide, double door on left, small door on right. Trucks don't fit in the small door. We used to park car, then truck, then mower et. al. Now we have a boat (from when we inherited a cottage now sold). It has to be in one of the two left bays, it also won't fit in the right door. So, we have boat, truck, then car. If we sell the boat, we will get back to our regular setup. #FirstWorldProblems
Oh jeez, thatā€™s a horrible situation. Do you need a hug? šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Sponsored

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

NJDevFan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium ER, '19 Highlander Hybrid
Country flag
I stumbled upon these trying to piecemeal my own setup together.

Either of these helpful?

Last edited:

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
I moved ours overhead between two vehicles in our 2-car garage. One backs in. If the charger is centered between vehicle charging ports, works great. However, Iā€™ve not yet figured how to charge the TT Flex šŸ˜. And a Lightning is sweet but not at $80K+. Mach E is super. Iā€™m prepared for the eMavrick.

alangant

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GTPE Rapid Red (ordered 10/22/21)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

mateo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
I charge my two MMEs with the Grizzl-E Duo that's mounted in a rear corner (right-hand side when pulled in, so it's on the wrong side). The cable is just long enough to go on the floor in front of both cars and reach the farther car without any strain on the cable.

I mounted the two holders in front of the cars on the driver side, so when not in use they are mounted and easy to reach. There is no exit on the rear wall (detached garage), so leaving the cables on the floor running from the holders to the unit doesn't bother me.

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The challenge with a truck in a 20 foot garage is that it's basically up against the front wall. Reaching over the big hood is near impossible without two people. So OVER the hood, hanging from the ceiling, is best.

Any solution I come up with would be temporary. As I discovered the lower charger price, net it will cost is $75.91 after tax credit, plus 3 connectors ~$52, so $128, and then both vehicles can charge at the same time.

Seems silly to spend close to $100 rigging something, so I'm likely to take that route.

I appreciate all the suggestions.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I have 2 MME for 2 years. We drive 250 EACH per week. It has Ben shown that 90% of households do not park in their garages. I have a 3 car garage and a ChargePoint Flex with I think 25 feet of cord. Daily we rotate charging. Usually around 11 pm one car is 100% charged and so I switch them. We do this nearly daily. After 2 years and 70,000 miles we have zero degradation. I installed cameras all over to catch every side of both cars. Works great. Ford pass app signal when first car is charged then switch. So much easier. Just takes organization

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have 2 MME for 2 years. We drive 250 EACH per week. It has Ben shown that 90% of households do not park in their garages. I have a 3 car garage and a ChargePoint Flex with I think 25 feet of cord. Daily we rotate charging. Usually around 11 pm one car is 100% charged and so I switch them. We do this nearly daily. After 2 years and 70,000 miles we have zero degradation. I installed cameras all over to catch every side of both cars. Works great. Ford pass app signal when first car is charged then switch. So much easier. Just takes organization
We bought our first house in 1987. I was delighted to be able to park my vehicles inside. I will NEVER own a house without garages, and my vehicles go inside, period. My neighbor parks both vehicles outside, because his garage is full of workout equipment and toys. Never happening for me.

I'm glad that moving them around works for you. You live in California. Would you like to do that at 11PM when it's blowing snow and 11 degrees out? How about cleaning the ice and snow off your car?

Garages are made for cars, not crap.

As to your study...

This says 25%, not 90% - https://www.garageliving.com/blog/home-garage-stats

This says 84% use garage for parking. - https://www.homeinnovation.com/abou...ercent of homeowners,it for parking a vehicle.

I think your data is malarky... šŸ¤£

CYBER-O

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E4X
Occupation
Independant IT Consultant, Lyft & Uber driver
Country flag
I'm searching forums and the internet, but figured I would see what ideas people had here.

Situation:

3 bay garage
EVSE is mounted just to the left of middle bay
Mach-E is parked in right hand bay. Currently, EVSE cord is running across the front of the middle bay, then out to the Mach-E. Works perfectly.

Near future will have a Lightning in the middle bay. Longer term solution is to get a 2nd JB48 ($95 after rebate from utility and 30% tax credit on remainder), share circuit, only extra cost would be IF I have an electrician come to put 2nd JB48 cord into box and connect with existing connectors.

Problem:

Truck will be parked all way in. Passing the EVSE handle over the truck back and forth would be a PITA. Want easy, inexpensive way to move charging cord from between bay 1 and 2 to between bay 2 and 3.

Before pulling truck in, if car is done charging (likely), move cord to position for truck. But, if you then take the car out, and come back, and need to charge car, cord is on wrong side and can't be easily passed over truck.

Desired Solution:

Run cord up so that it's above frunk height of truck, then somehow by suspending cord, and handle, from ceiling, be able to pull handle from bay 1/2 to bay 2/3 and back again.

Given that I can share the circuit with two JB48s, that's my long term solution (don't need 80amp charger for truck). But I'm looking for say a pivoting arm or inexpensive tool balancer, coupled with a way for the EVSE handle to be pulled to the vehicle that needs it.

One idea I had was like a shower curtain track, running side over the middle bay, with handle hanging from a cord. Each side could pull the handle towards them, and cord to pull it would run up to a pulley on the ceiling and then come down to dangle between the bays.

If you've come across any neat inexpensive solutions, please post them here.
I have not seen this idea but the design of the wash wand & hose in car wash bays that can swivel around 360 degrees from a pivot point overhead comes to mind!

Zigma51

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
Microsoft
Country flag
I'm searching forums and the internet, but figured I would see what ideas people had here.

Situation:

3 bay garage
EVSE is mounted just to the left of middle bay
Mach-E is parked in right hand bay. Currently, EVSE cord is running across the front of the middle bay, then out to the Mach-E. Works perfectly.

Near future will have a Lightning in the middle bay. Longer term solution is to get a 2nd JB48 ($95 after rebate from utility and 30% tax credit on remainder), share circuit, only extra cost would be IF I have an electrician come to put 2nd JB48 cord into box and connect with existing connectors.

Problem:

Truck will be parked all way in. Passing the EVSE handle over the truck back and forth would be a PITA. Want easy, inexpensive way to move charging cord from between bay 1 and 2 to between bay 2 and 3.

Before pulling truck in, if car is done charging (likely), move cord to position for truck. But, if you then take the car out, and come back, and need to charge car, cord is on wrong side and can't be easily passed over truck.

Desired Solution:

Run cord up so that it's above frunk height of truck, then somehow by suspending cord, and handle, from ceiling, be able to pull handle from bay 1/2 to bay 2/3 and back again.

Given that I can share the circuit with two JB48s, that's my long term solution (don't need 80amp charger for truck). But I'm looking for say a pivoting arm or inexpensive tool balancer, coupled with a way for the EVSE handle to be pulled to the vehicle that needs it.

One idea I had was like a shower curtain track, running side over the middle bay, with handle hanging from a cord. Each side could pull the handle towards them, and cord to pull it would run up to a pulley on the ceiling and then come down to dangle between the bays.

If you've come across any neat inexpensive solutions, please post them here.
Here my setup
Sponsored