Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I did A LOT of driving this weekend for Mustang Day. About 500 miles of freeway where I used Co-Pilot 360 for a majority of the driving.

I have to say I'm really impressed with this feature. I drove Bay Area freeways (a nightmare if you have not had the pleasure) and it was really relaxing letting the car drive itself. I put the top speed at 80mph, picked a fast lane, and just let the car follow at closest distance 360 allowed. Always had my hand on the wheel but only to keep 360 active. The car kept a perfect buffer between the MachE and the lead car. When the freeway came to a halt the MachE adjusted accordingly, no harsh braking. Resumed acceleration accordingly. A couple times I engaged the brake just in case but 90% of the time the car perfectly predicted the force needed to stop on it's own. The car stayed centered extraordinarily well. I kept asking the passenger if from their perspective the car was hugging the right line. From the drivers seat I felt I was too far right. They told me every time I asked "Nope, perfect center". My range is finally topping 270. I managed to break 300 miles on a single charge on the First Edition yesterday. Caveat, even though I set the top speed at 80, that was just to make sure I was keeping up with cars but the majority of trip I was around 70mph, I had no passenger this leg, and it was a very flat, non hilly stretch of road. Temperature was in low to mid 80s.

I had one close call as a Porche driver in Concord decided to whip into my lane. Apparently I was in his blind spot. I deftly avoided him. I thought for sure he'd catch my rear passenger flank but I lucked out. This car is a tank, but it's a nimble tank!

I was just really happy with how relaxed I was after two very long trips. This really makes me look forward to BlueCruise.

Really loving this car.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Impressed with Co-Pilot 360. Bay Area traffic?  NO PROBLEM! 20210417_100508
Sponsored

Last edited:

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
šŸ”‘ ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ šŸ‘€
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
it was really relaxing letting the car drive itself
Nice write up of your experience... And what a great way to celebrate Mustang day!

Can I just point out that Mach-E cannot drive itself? Even with BlueCruise later this year, Mach-E will not be driving itself.

As you pointed out in your story, there are times where you needed to quickly maneuver the vehicle. This might be true even with BlueCruise. Like all passenger vehicles sold to the public today, it's at best SAE Level 2 automation, not an autonomous vehicle.

MurphyDog

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Itā€™s my birthday today and we decided to spend it in Santa Cruz. On the way home I used adaptive cruise and lane centering on highway 17 and it rocked. Traffic was terrible and slow moving and Iā€™m confident it would have done the entire drive hands free if that was an option.

OP
OP
Maric

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Nice write up of your experience... And what a great way to celebrate Mustang day!

Can I just point out that Mach-E cannot drive itself? Even with BlueCruise later this year, Mach-E will not be driving itself.

As you pointed out in your story, there are times where you needed to quickly maneuver the vehicle. This might be true even with BlueCruise. Like all passenger vehicles sold to the public today, it's at best SAE Level 2 automation, not an autonomous vehicle.
I know itā€™s not full self driving but self braking, acceleration, following the road without any input from the driver to me is driving itself. Of course Iā€™m aware at all times and ready to take control as needed. Hundreds of miles of driving and the need for me to do anything was very rare.

mcyee1

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Legacy
Country flag
Thanks - this was a really nice review and reflects my experiences in the Bay Area as well. Quick question - and Iā€™m sure this has been asked and answered many times - why does the Active Cruise sometimes drop to 62 MPH especially when I first turn it on? Is there a setting Iā€™m missing? I too am loving the car!

OP
OP
Maric

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Itā€™s my birthday today and we decided to spend it in Santa Cruz. On the way home I used adaptive cruise and lane centering on highway 17 and it rocked. Traffic was terrible and slow moving and Iā€™m confident it would have done the entire drive hands free if that was an option.
I have a lot of experience on that road. (I love Santa Cruz and the mountains in that area). I bet itā€™s a blast driving it in the MachE.

OP
OP
Maric

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Thanks - this was a really nice review and reflects my experiences in the Bay Area as well. Quick question - and Iā€™m sure this has been asked and answered many times - why does the Active Cruise sometimes drop to 62 MPH especially when I first turn it on? Is there a setting Iā€™m missing? I too am loving the car!
I honestly have not noticed that. The initial speed always seems to be set at whatever speed Iā€™m at when I engage Active Cruise. Iā€™ll have to watch for that.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I honestly have not noticed that. The initial speed always seems to be set at whatever speed Iā€™m at when I engage Active Cruise. Iā€™ll have to watch for that.
same for me

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I've been really impressed with ICC/ACC in the first 4,000+ miles of driving. BlueCruise will be great!

gnaark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
CoPilot 360 is so great. I use it all the time in Dallas heavy traffic and it feels great and way less stressful. You really feel like the car has your back.

My only complaints so far are:
- the intelligent speed limit recognition that sometimes picks up the exit speed limit or the frontage road speed limit so I disabled that feature for now.
- the car doesn't remember the latest distance between cars that you like so you have to manually adjust it every time. It'd be great to save the distance you prefer as your default.

The collision warning is great too and really pulls you in for attention in case you didn't react fast enough.

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
Regular ACC is a blessing on 1 because thereā€™s so much traffic and this isnā€™t even it at its worst, Covid4ever, at least for traffic. I donā€™t do 17 much but itā€™s ACCable for the most part as well.

The other day I borrowed my fatherā€˜s truck, and my foot was sore from having to press the gas pedal for 30 minutes, and I had to look backward to back up. Man, it was like the Dark Ages.

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Iā€™ve commuted to work a few times now and am using CP360 on the freeway. I agree that it works quite well...I have let the car drive itself the majority of miles, except to change lanes occasionally. Iā€™ve come to trust CP360 on the highway, although in dry conditions only. It was snowing lightly here today (no accumulation, just lower visibility) and the system was having a really hard time. The biggest issue was ACC...the car let me creep up on other vehicles way too close before I had to intervene.

The reduced performance in bad weather isnā€™t all bad...itā€™s probably better that way, as drivers should be fully-engaged when weather is less than ideal. CP360 is a fair weather option, and thatā€™s probably what it should be.

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Expedition EL, 2012 Mustang GT, 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 13 year owner/operator 1983 DeLorean DMC-12 - sold Nov. 2014
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Very nice write up! Great info! And with the confidence (not complacency) this system can build in its driver, and with the data that Ford is collecting, I am sure it will get even better with time.
It's nice to read some real-world, good news about the car!

mikeho

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Impressed with Co-Pilot 360. Bay Area traffic?  NO PROBLEM! image

Check to see what you set your tolerance level to be. Every time it reads a speed limit sign, it sets the speed to tolerance + X. So if you set it to 70 and you pass a sign, maybe it drops it to 62. I get dropped to 65 every time I pass those 55 construction zone speed signs.
Sponsored