CP-Mach-E

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Murano, 21 F150 PB Plat, 21 Mach-E PESR
Country flag
Hello friends, I started out this evening very excited as I went to go pick up my brand new Mach-E. Unfortunately my high spirits were not to last.

Don't get me wrong. I still have high hopes that I will love the car, but I'm sad to report that my experiences this evening did not go well. Where to start?

Problem #1 - Navigation

I should start out by saying that I took my car for a test drive when it arrived at my dealership last week. During the test drive I noticed that the navigation was not working. It did not show anything on the map at all. When I finished my test drive, I reported this to my dealer. He stated that it was probably because they had not activated the modem yet.

When I picked up the car, I quickly discovered that the navigation is still not working. I have to say that I'm quite disappointed that the dealer did not ensure that the navigation was working before delivering the car to me after I reported that it was not working last week.

After browsing through the navigation menus, I observed the following oddities:

- The list of installed maps is empty
- The Satellite Status screen says "GPS is Off" (even though it lists a latitude and longitude for my location??)
- The System Information screen has nothing listed under Navigation Version

It appears as though none of the navigation software/data got installed at the factory.

Problem #2 - Wi-Fi

As soon as I got home, I tried connecting to my home Wi-Fi network. I was unable to connect. I spent a significant amount of time trying to get this to work. Nothing I did made any difference. I have two Wi-Fi Access Points in my house. I tried connecting to both of them. No luck with either one.

When I type in the wrong password, it tells me that the password is wrong. When I type in the correct password, it just says that it was "Unable to connect". This tells me two things. 1 - It is definitely communicating with the access point. 2 - I'm not typing in the wrong password.

I was able to connect the Mach-E to the Wi-Fi access point on my phone when I set the phone up as a Wi-Fi hotspot, so I know that the car is able to connect to a Wi-Fi network. Just not the network in my house. We have countless Wi-Fi devices in the house, and they are all connected just fine, so I know my home Wi-Fi is working properly. I have no idea why the car won't connect to it, but for some reason it just won't.

Problem #3 - Android Auto

When I connected my Google Pixel 3 to the car, the phone immediately recognized that the car had Android Auto, and told me to finish setting it up on the car. When I open Android Auto on the car, the car says to go to the phone list, select a phone, then select Connect Android Auto. I did that, but there was no "Connect Android Auto" to be found. Lots of options for setting up my phone, but nothing related to Android Auto at all.

The Android Auto app in the car also suggested connecting the phone to the car with a USB cable. My wife has a Nissan Murano with Android Auto that only works through a USB cable. I've used it on my wife's car many times. In her car it works perfectly. I tried plugging my phone into the Mach-E with a USB cable. As soon as I plugged in the cable, my phone immediately crashed and restarted the operating system. I tried it numerous times with different cables (to test both ports in the car). Same thing every time. As soon as I plug in the phone, the phone crashes.

I realize that in this case it is the phone that is crashing, but like I said, I've used it in my wife's car with no issues. Clearly the Mach-E is doing something that the phone REALLY doesn't like.

Problem #4 - Charging

I wanted to charge the car up to 90% overnight. There does not seem to be a way to set a global charging limit. You can only set limits for specific charge locations. This is not really an issue, but when I tried to edit the current location to make it my home location, and to set the charge times, the screen to edit the location showed a wait indicator (the three animated dots), and just sat there. I kept trying to hit Next, but nothing happened. I tried waiting a while, but the wait indicator never went away. I have no idea what it was trying to do, but it would not let me set the limit for my charging session because I could not edit my location.

Luckily after checking the user guide, I discovered that you can edit the location though the Ford Pass App, so I did that instead. That at least worked, and it was able to successfully upload the settings to the car, so the car will now stop charging at 90%.

On a slightly unrelated note, while I was standing beside the car, plugging in the charger, I noticed that the car was making some strange noises. As though it was trying to do something. I didn't have my key with me, and I wasn't touching the car at all. I had not plugged in the charger yet. After all the bad experiences that I had this evening, these noises did not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. I sure hope those noises are normal.

Looks like I've got some support calls to make tomorrow. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.
Sponsored

Last edited:

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
Sorry to hear you are having so many issues. Was your car held up in MX or Kansas City at all for the QC? All these issues would explain why they needed to have direct access to the cars.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Hello friends, I started out this evening very excited as I went to go pick up my brand new Mach-E. Unfortunately my high spirits were not to last.

Don't get me wrong. I still have high hopes that I will love the car, but I'm sad to report that my experiences this evening did not go well. Where to start?

Problem #1 - Navigation

I should start out by saying that I took my car for a test drive when it arrived at my dealership last week. During the test drive I noticed that the navigation was not working. It did not show anything on the map at all. When I finished my test drive, I reported this to my dealer. He stated that it was probably because they had not activated the modem yet.

When I picked up the car, I quickly discovered that the navigation is still not working. I have to say that I'm quite disappointed that the dealer did not ensure that the navigation was working before delivering the car top me after I reported that it was not working last week.

- The Satellite Status screen says "GPS is Off" (even though it lists a latitude and longitude for my location??)

It appears as though none of the navigation software/data got installed at the factory.

Problem #2 - Wi-Fi

As soon as I got home, I tried connecting to my home Wi-Fi network. I was unable to connect. I spent a significant amount of time trying to get this to work. Nothing I did made any difference. I have two Wi-Fi Access Points in my house. I tried connecting to both of them. No luck with either one.

When I type in the wrong password, it tells me that the password is wrong. When I type in the correct password, it just says that it was "Unable to connect". This tells me two things. 1 - It is definitely communicating with the access point. 2 - I'm not typing in the wrong password.

I was able to connect the Mach-E to the Wi-Fi access point on my phone when I set the phone up as a Wi-Fi hotspot, so I know that the car is able to connect to a Wi-Fi network. Just not the network in my house. We have countless Wi-Fi devices in the house, and they are all connected just fine, so I know my home Wi-Fi is working properly. I have no idea why the car won't connect to it, but for some reason it just won't.

When I connected my Google Pixel 3 to the car, the phone immediately recognized that the car had Android Auto, and told me to finish setting it up on the car. When I open Android Auto on the car, the car says to go to the phone list, select a phone, then select Connect Android Auto. I did that, but there was no "Connect Android Auto" to be found. Lots of options for setting up my phone, but nothing related to Android Auto at all.

The Android Auto app in the car also suggested connecting the phone to the car with a USB cable. My wife has a Nissan Murano with Android Auto that only works through a USB cable. I've used it on my wife's car many times. In her car it works perfectly. I tried plugging my phone into the Mach-E with a USB cable. As soon as I plugged in the cable, my phone immediately crashed and restarted the operating system. I tried it numerous times with different cables (to test both ports in the car). Same thing every time. As soon as I plug in the phone, the phone crashes.

I realize that in this case it is the phone that is crashing, but like I said, I've used it in my wife's car with no issues. Clearly the Mach-E is doing something that the phone REALLY doesn't like.

Problem #4 - Charging

I wanted to charge the car up to 90% overnight. There does not seem to be a way to set a global charging limit. You can only set limits for specific charge locations. This is not really an issue, but when I tried to edit the current location to make it my home location, and to set the charge times, the screen to edit the location showed a wait indicator (the three animated dots), and just sat there. I kept trying to hit Next, but nothing happened. I tried waiting a while, but the wait indicator never went away. I have no idea what it was trying to do, but it would not let me set the limit for my charging session because I could not edit my location.

Luckily after checking the user guide, I discovered that you can edit the location though the Ford Pass App, so I did that instead. That at least worked, and it was able to successfully upload the settings to the car, so the car will now stop charging at 90%.

On a slightly unrelated note, while I was standing beside the car, plugging in the charger, I noticed that the car was making some strange noises. As though it was trying to do something. I didn't have my key with me, and I wasn't touching the car at all. I had not plugged in the charger yet. After all the bad experiences that I had this evening, these noises did not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. I sure hope those noises are normal.

Looks like I've got some support calls to make tomorrow. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.
Sorry to hear this. I hope support / customer service is able to sort you out.

Tsand4

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 1st Ed -rec'd 1/27/21, '14 Fusion Hybrid SE
Country flag
I am incredibly sorry to hear of the issues you are havng. I have not experienced any of your reported issues. It clearly sounds like a connectivity issue that hopefully they can troubleshoot and resolve quickly. Wishing you the best for tomorrow.

I also wonder if your MME was part of the Stop Ship for QC in Kansas City.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag

Problem #1 - Navigation

When I picked up the car, I quickly discovered that the navigation is still not working. I have to say that I'm quite disappointed that the dealer did not ensure that the navigation was working before delivering the car top me after I reported that it was not working last week.

Problem #2 - Wi-Fi

Problem #4 - Charging

Wondering if your car needed the fix they are checking in now or something was not reset properly when the fix was implemented? Hope Ford does something to quickly resolve your issues..feel for you

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
In a slightly unrelated note, while I was standing beside the car, plugging in the charger, I noticed that the car was making some strange noises. As though it was trying to do something. I didn't have my key with me, and I wasn't touching the car at all. I had not plugged in the charger yet. After all the bad experiences that I had this evening, these noises did not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. I sure hope those noises are normal.
I do seem to remember a reviewer talking about some normal noises the car makes during charging. I can't remember where the article was, though.

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
Do you have another cellphone to try as there are issues with the Pixel and WiFi bands. Had some issues with Smart Home items. Replaced my Pixel and its all good with the new phone. Looking forward to hearing the resolution.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Problem #2 - Wi-Fi

This is probably just another rabbit hole, considering your other problems. I had experienced similar symptom when I forgot that I set it up to only allow specific MAC addresses to connect. Updating list of MAC addresses fixed that,

Reactions: UW2

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Your version of pixel/android OS may not support wireless AA. As for the maps, that seems like a huge oversight unless it is indeed an activation issue.

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The “Transport” mode the car is shipped in is designed to significantly reduce the drain on the battery. The things you are having problem with are all the bigger electric drains on the 12v battery, outside of propulsion. Seems like an unlikely oversight by your dealer, but perhaps your car did not come out of transport mode correctly. That could explain how your car passed its factory inspections.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
The “Transport” mode the car is shipped in is designed to significantly reduce the drain on the battery. The things you are having problem with are all the bigger electric drains on the 12v battery, outside of propulsion. Seems like an unlikely oversight by your dealer, but perhaps your car did not come out of transport mode correctly. That could explain how your car passed its factory inspections.
I was wondering the same. Certainly a master rest or reinstall of software would be necessary at this point either way.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Problem #1 - Navigation

When I picked up the car, I quickly discovered that the navigation is still not working. I have to say that I'm quite disappointed that the dealer did not ensure that the navigation was working before delivering the car to me after I reported that it was not working last week.

Problem #2 - Wi-Fi

Problem #4 - Charging

For the dealer to not address issues you pointed out is inexcusable. I reached out to Mike Levine about this. He's Ford North America Product Communications manager. Hopefully it will help.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Initial experiences from a new Mach-E owner Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 9.06.01 AM copy

OP
OP

CP-Mach-E

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Murano, 21 F150 PB Plat, 21 Mach-E PESR
Country flag
For the dealer to not address issues you pointed out is inexcusable. I reached out to Mike Levine about this. He's Ford North America Product Communications manager. Hopefully it will help.
Wow Mark. That is awesome. Thank you so much.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Initial experiences from a new Mach-E owner Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 9.06.01 AM copy
Often, Twitter can be your friend. Companies tend to respond more quickly on Twitter. Everyone should follow Mike Levine, Emma Burg, and Jim Farley if you are on Twitter - they all are.

Please keep us anxious folks awaiting delivery posted on your journey with this.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You'll hear various noises from EVs. They're constantly doing things in the background while parked, especially during charging. There are various vents, fans, pumps, motors, valves, etc all working to either warm up or cool the batteries.

I had a motor noise on my Tesla about every 8 seconds while parked and charging, I couldn't figure out until I got on my knees in front of the car and saw the louvers adjusting. Typically they're closed at highway speeds for better aerodynamics and open up when additional air is needed for either the HVAC system or additional cooling for the batteries. Apparently the vents don't just open up completely, they adjust their opening size multiple times during the charging process.

Anyway, don't worry about various noises while charging.
Sponsored