TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I know. I wonder how much it costs. I guess they needed to keep the base GT price down somehow. But the lower models have it standard.
I think you had it right in the 3rd sentence. The glass roof costs money. The large motor in the front costs money. Ya either pay even more for both, or pick one.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I think you had it right in the 3rd sentence. The glass roof costs money. The large motor in the front costs money. Ya either pay even more for both, or pick one.
And if you want both, you pay for both.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It's strange, but a lot of the photos of the interior of these test cars look gray instead of black. It could just be lighting, but when you look at the order photos online (and yeah, those may be CGI) they look more BLACK. But in those too, the headliner is lighter. Guess we will have to wait.
I did change my Black Onyx seats because the interior looked to dark for the light space Grey based on these pictures on the ford.ca site.

Thopter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Specialized Turbo Creo SL Expert EVO
Country flag
Or maybe Ford realizes that some of the people who want GT’s do not want a big heavy piece of glass in the worst possible spot to put extra mass. Like a whole passengers worth of weight.

The base FocusRS’s had no sunroof, but had the light weight wheels, and the stickier Pilot Cups instead of Pilot Sports.

I know Ford has said the MachE GT is not rated for sustained track use, but I would not be surprised to find it will be useable for 30 min lap sessions.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Or maybe Ford realizes that some of the people who want GT’s do not want a big heavy piece of glass in the worst possible spot to put extra mass. Like a whole passengers worth of weight.
With BEV manufacturers trying to make so many compromises to squeeze as much range as they can get (like aerodynamics and weight), I'm surprised they like to put paranamic roofs in at all. Let alone make them standard in many trims.

I.Adams

First Name
Ingo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mondeo 2.0l 145HP
Occupation
Managing Design Engineer & IWI
Country flag
Hopefully the temperatures in the car will not rise up too much and the passengers in the back were not be blinded.

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Awesome, thanks for the photos

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I believe the glass roof is for heat transmission to the cabin in cold climate conditions. This is where ev's need all the help they can get on range. I also thought a hardtop roof would be a better opinion from a durability point of view, however, less cabin heat taken from the battery is also a bonus. Heated seats, a sun roof and try just not to see your breathe.

tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
I believe the glass roof is for heat transmission to the cabin in cold climate conditions. This is where ev's need all the help they can get on range. I also thought a hardtop roof would be a better opinion from a durability point of view, however, less cabin heat taken from the battery is also a bonus. Heated seats, a sun roof and try just not to see your breathe.
Agree - if Premium came with solid roof that's what I would have ordered. Will be interesting to see if screen glare is an issue with light coming in from the roof. I would guess Tesla would have same issue, but not something I have checked on since I had one wrecked at Honolulu port (along with 4 others in shipment) on delivery in 2013.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
It may also be because they've talked to owners of Teslas and other cars with similar roofs and found customers like them. Ford's been selling cars for a long time. I expect their decisions come at least as much from customer surveys and focus groups as they do from what the other company is doing.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Then you can change your order to a Select with the tech package and change the rims and tire for 19 " and you'll have pretty much what you want.;)
Sponsored