Exordium01

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
NACS is the CCS protocol with a different plug, yes, but CCS doesn’t do AC charging. That’s J1772. Teslas have to have an internal switch that isolates the 400V DC bus when plugged into a level 2 AC charger. The Mach E doesn’t. AC goes on top (J1772) and DC goes on bottom (CCS ports). Ford would also need to redesign the onboard AC charger circuit in order to adopt single NACs port. Not hard per se, but not nothing either.
Or we just keep using our j1772 to NACS adapters we already own at destination chargers. It’s really not a big deal to have separate AC and DC charging adapters.

Though my initial response was to someone suggesting ford include two separate charging ports on the car to support both standards which is IMO insane. At the end of the day, both ports will work at the same chargers as long as you have the correct adapter and the cords reach.
Sponsored

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Or we just keep using our j1772 to NACS adapters we already own at destination chargers. It’s really not a big deal to have separate AC and DC charging adapters.

Though my initial response was to someone suggesting ford include two separate charging ports on the car to support both standards which is IMO insane. At the end of the day, both ports will work at the same chargers as long as you have the correct adapter and the cords reach.
I’m saying they WOULD need two separate ports. Just not CCS. They would need NACS for DC and J1772 for AC. Unless they redesign the charge circuitry inside the car.

Exordium01

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
I’m saying they WOULD need two separate ports. Just not CCS. They would need NACS for DC and J1772 for AC. Unless they redesign the charge circuitry inside the car.
If they add a NACS port, they are going to change the circuitry to support both AC and DC charging. There’s no way they ship a car that has NACS and J1772.

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
If they add a NACS port, they are going to change the circuitry to support both AC and DC charging. There’s no way they ship a car that has NACS and J1772.
I would have agreed with you until listening to this interview. Now I’m not so sure. Maybe eventually yeah, but if they do 2 ports then it’s a simple swap. Connect NACS to the wires the old CCS pins went to. Leave J1772 as is. No jacking with the BMS, HVJB, etc. I could see them doing that for a few model years until a larger refresh is needed.
Sponsored