iPhone Qi Wireless Charging

WJKramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT
Country flag
Pretty sure it's the iPhone camera bump preventing the charging. My iPhone 13 pro works fine on every charger because theny don't take up the entire back leaving the camera bump exposed. The Mach E's charging mat does not allow for this and the camera bump raises the edge of the phone slightly breaking the connection after a while.
Sponsored

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E, Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Sr. IT/Product Architect; Enterprise and Cloud Manageability Engineering
Country flag

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Here's my hack.

Purchased a black MagSafe compatible charger from Amazon (the standard Apple white was just too much). Got some adhesive pads to stick it onto the rubber mat. Cut a small slot into one of the rubber dividers and routed the cord along the edge. Hot glue'd things in place.

Works rather well. I can slide the phone off (or pull it off using the mat as leverage) with one hand.
IMG_1640.jpg
Haha. Just noticed this! Great minds think alike. Except I recreated the mat for this purpose. =D
See here:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/apple-magsafe-passenger-side-charging-mat.11638/

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Pretty sure it's the iPhone camera bump preventing the charging. My iPhone 13 pro works fine on every charger because theny don't take up the entire back leaving the camera bump exposed. The Mach E's charging mat does not allow for this and the camera bump raises the edge of the phone slightly breaking the connection after a while.
Exactly right. The newest iPhone cameras bumps out ~4mm. Phone cases only slightly mask this fact and the camera causes the phone to be raised up even further off the mat.

The Ford stock mat adds 2.5mm of additional spacing between the phone and the charging unit.
I don't know how far below the metallic surface of charging unit the actual coils are, but clearly the overall distance with 2.5mm added by the mat plus the camera bump is straining the Qi requirements.

This got me thinking. I should add a camera cutout to my passenger side charging design even for the driver's side.
But my mat is only 2mm thick and the camera cutout is 4mm thick so at most I would by "buying" you 1.5mm. It could be enough to make the difference, though.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Sorry to resurrect this oldish thread, but I wanted to document a change I just made that I'm hoping will improve the reliability of the Qi charger.

I noticed in FDRS that there's an option to change parameters of the wireless charger. In reality, there's only one parameter you can change which is to disable metal object detection, so I did that. Prior to this change, my iPhone 12 Mini would typically stop charging within 5 minutes of driving. After making this change, I drove for about 40 minutes without it stopping at all. Not enough evidence to call it yet, but I'll keep an eye on it to see if the metal detection really was the issue. ?

WyldStallyn

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
I changed the parameter yesterday and can now wireless charge my 12 Pro Max without it cutting out after a few minutes. In the Apple MagSafe case it still cuts out but it is fine without a case. Two hours of driving today with CarPlay and I was fully charged.

@generaltso thank you for posting this. I was not looking forward to physical modification or going wired.

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Hello everyone! I've read in other threads that others have had issues maintaining steady wireless phone charging, but has anyone not been able to get ANY phone to charge? I tried my iPhone 12 Pro Max, and a iPhone 12 Pro, and neither are able to charge, even for a second...it almost seems like the Qi charging coil isn't working. I've tried with and without the phone cases, and with and without the mat. I've also turned the phones in different orientations to see if I can get the coil to be recognized, but no luck. Just wondering if anyone out there has had a DoA wireless charger (and if I should be contacting the dealer already..)
Do you know anyone with a newer iPhone?
It would be good, just as a test to see if a newer iPhone works with your MME charging mat.

Reason is, Apple had lots of complaints about Qi charging with the iPhone 12 series and they made improvements in the iPhone 13 series.

Since some iPhone 12 users say their's works fine with the MME, it's a question of is your charging mat stone-cold dead or partially working, but not working well enough for your iPhone 12 (e.g. not working as well as some other people with that series).

Either way, your dealer should be able to test it and root-cause + fix it under warranty.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Sorry to resurrect this oldish thread, but I wanted to document a change I just made that I'm hoping will improve the reliability of the Qi charger.

I noticed in FDRS that there's an option to change parameters of the wireless charger. In reality, there's only one parameter you can change which is to disable metal object detection, so I did that. Prior to this change, my iPhone 12 Mini would typically stop charging within 5 minutes of driving. After making this change, I drove for about 40 minutes without it stopping at all. Not enough evidence to call it yet, but I'll keep an eye on it to see if the metal detection really was the issue. ?
I wonder what the implications are? It had that setting for a reason.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I wonder what the implications are? It had that setting for a reason.
To learn the implication, I suggest the following: In your home, plug in a Qi charger. Put some metal objects on the Qi charger. Enjoy the heat.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
My first test today but charging off my iPhone 12Pro lasted much longer today. The trick? A thinner pad:
Ford Mustang Mach-E iPhone Qi Wireless Charging B5E32514-0F61-4F0C-9B21-BB247E82CB42

Thanks @AOSK

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Is yours in a case Mark?
Yes, mine is in a case and I'll be that contributes to the issue. I'm not pulling the iPhone out of the case every time I drive though.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I just used double sided tape to put a MagSafe puck above the QI pad. Holds firmly and charges faster than the Qi pad ever will. Less heat loss too.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Yes, mine is in a case and I'll be that contributes to the issue. I'm not pulling the iPhone out of the case every time I drive though.
I have an official mag safe charger case on my 12 Pro Max. The Aosk mat did not significantly change the duration of the charging. The case is easy to pull mine out as it’s a fairly minimal case, but I’m not inclined to do so regularly. I use their rubberized charger tray organizer now and without the case, charging works fine. As others have said though, this appears to be an iPhone 12 issue. I also don’t have FRDS to try the change mentioned via few posts above.
Sponsored