Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
And in some instances (cough, cough @heisnuts cough) multiple repeats. 😕🐩

I am going to break my second generation (first replacement) part when it warms up a little so I can get a 3rd generation part. 🤷‍♂️🐩
What was that old Wendy’s commercial regarding McNuggets? - “Parts is Parts!”
Sponsored

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
And in some instances (cough, cough @heisnuts cough) multiple repeats. 😕🐩

I am going to break my second generation (first replacement) part when it warms up a little so I can get a 3rd generation part. 🤷‍♂️🐩
The Grapevine has been known to cause HVJB failures in the state of California.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
The Grapevine has been known to cause HVJB failures in the state of California.
Heh, that’s 300+ miles from me. I blew my last one up standing still, but got the SVS after entering the freeway on the way home from work. There are some hills around here and I know I can pre-heat the contactors pretty well before hitting them. Once I get my new tires and the weather get better I’m gonna start trying. 🤪🐩

Opa

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GT
Occupation
Happily retired 😊
Country flag
While I am happy to accelerate quickly, this car is so far beyond anything else I have driven, I have found no need to floor it - yet the speed is more than sufficient.

keeping my fingers crossed that laid back driving and lightweight DC fast-charging on my 23.5 means the risk is low.
I don’t know about you, but the one or two times I have floored it, I’ve burnt rubber!
So I don’t WOT very often at all😝😝

bbulkow

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV, Porsche Cayman S
Country flag
I am wondering, or is it limited to 21/22/23 job 1. Thanks!
As far as I understand, "the issue" (chronic high rates of failure of this part), which is subject to a recall notice, is through mid-2022 when a redesigned part entered service. You can read the recall notice and see the models that Ford will replace proactively. Some models (SR RWD at least) from that range are not getting proactive parts. These seemed to be related to a faulty design or manufacturing or perhaps both. If you buy a used car, you should ask whether the part has been replaced. If it has not been replaced, you can get Ford to replace it (on some models).

After the redesigned part in mid-2022 (and on cars with the replaced unit), the failure rate of the part is within accepted parameters, apparently. That's not to say the part NEVER fails, but that it's a part that has some electrical complexity and has an expected failure rate, and that rate seems very low.

The part is under the most stress when a lot of power flows through it, continually. RWD cars can put the least strain, AWD more, GT more. SR batteries supply less power than ER batteries. DC fast charging puts more strain. Driving style puts more strain.

Thus - when you say what models are effected by "the issue", the answer of the mis-designed / manufactured part is well known. That's different from saying the part will never fail post mid 2022. There are still reports of failure - but, apparently, not due to the same flaw.

During pandemic, replacement parts and EV techs were very thin on the ground, so replacement was catastrophic (large multi-week and multi-month repair times reported). Now, the part is more available, and EV techs are easier to come by. That doesn't mean every particular dealer can pop it in over a few days, or that a particular dealer isn't backed up two weeks, but reports seem to be that the repair time is from days to weeks, not weeks to months. Especially given the number of recall units they've had to replace, one expects some shops have gotten quite handy with it.

Yeah?

helium89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forester
Country flag
As far as I understand, "the issue" (chronic high rates of failure of this part), which is subject to a recall notice, is through mid-2022 when a redesigned part entered service. You can read the recall notice and see the models that Ford will replace proactively. Some models (SR RWD at least) from that range are not getting proactive parts. These seemed to be related to a faulty design or manufacturing or perhaps both. If you buy a used car, you should ask whether the part has been replaced. If it has not been replaced, you can get Ford to replace it (on some models).

After the redesigned part in mid-2022 (and on cars with the replaced unit), the failure rate of the part is within accepted parameters, apparently. That's not to say the part NEVER fails, but that it's a part that has some electrical complexity and has an expected failure rate, and that rate seems very low.

The part is under the most stress when a lot of power flows through it, continually. RWD cars can put the least strain, AWD more, GT more. SR batteries supply less power than ER batteries. DC fast charging puts more strain. Driving style puts more strain.

Thus - when you say what models are effected by "the issue", the answer of the mis-designed / manufactured part is well known. That's different from saying the part will never fail post mid 2022. There are still reports of failure - but, apparently, not due to the same flaw.

During pandemic, replacement parts and EV techs were very thin on the ground, so replacement was catastrophic (large multi-week and multi-month repair times reported). Now, the part is more available, and EV techs are easier to come by. That doesn't mean every particular dealer can pop it in over a few days, or that a particular dealer isn't backed up two weeks, but reports seem to be that the repair time is from days to weeks, not weeks to months. Especially given the number of recall units they've had to replace, one expects some shops have gotten quite handy with it.

Yeah?
The fact that cars with the redesigned part aren’t included in the recall has more to do with the NHTSA investigation than it does the overall reliability of the new parts. The NHTSA found that vehicles with the original part could experience catastrophic failure (loss of motive power while driving), even after receiving the initial recall software update. The investigation was never about the number of failed parts; it was always about the number of catastrophic failures. The redesigned part doesn’t seem to fail catastrophically (which is why it isn’t included in the hardware recall), but that doesn’t mean that its failure rate is acceptable.

VindictivePantz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MACH-E Premium AWD w/ Ext. Battery
Country flag
The fact that cars with the redesigned part aren’t included in the recall has more to do with the NHTSA investigation than it does the overall reliability of the new parts. The NHTSA found that vehicles with the original part could experience catastrophic failure (loss of motive power while driving), even after receiving the initial recall software update. The investigation was never about the number of failed parts; it was always about the number of catastrophic failures. The redesigned part doesn’t seem to fail catastrophically (which is why it isn’t included in the hardware recall), but that doesn’t mean that its failure rate is acceptable.
It also does not mean the failure rate is unacceptable.

Parts fail on all vehicles, sometimes in a terrible fashion like this one. There is probably an acceptable failure rate that Ford expects out of every part of the vehicle, and they're either forced into a recall or the rehaul the design for future models.

There's a lot of hand-wringing that happens, and that's understandable, but to expect low-to-no failures is unreasonable for any product.

Ford could've handled this better during and in hindsight, and while it took a kick in the pants for them to do so, things seem to be heading the right direction, but time will tell.

Otherwise, know that the next time you're cruising along the interstate and you see a Toyota broken down on the side of the road, it had a failure of some sort too.

OP
OP

MrLoganRoss

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Thanks for all the detailed answers. So I have. 2023.5 GTPE. It has the new parts. But, I shouldn’t go crazy with flooring it. I should also not constantly use DC fast charging. Is that a good summary?

Also, is all DC charging rough on the part? I typically see 60 or so KWH when using the DC fast chargers near here.

Mache_Nor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE LR RWD
Country flag
It also does not mean the failure rate is unacceptable.

Parts fail on all vehicles, sometimes in a terrible fashion like this one. There is probably an acceptable failure rate that Ford expects out of every part of the vehicle, and they're either forced into a recall or the rehaul the design for future models.

There's a lot of hand-wringing that happens, and that's understandable, but to expect low-to-no failures is unreasonable for any product.

Ford could've handled this better during and in hindsight, and while it took a kick in the pants for them to do so, things seem to be heading the right direction, but time will tell.

Otherwise, know that the next time you're cruising along the interstate and you see a Toyota broken down on the side of the road, it had a failure of some sort too.
If it was a normal part failure that meant you had to sort it out later (like a yellow warning) I would agree. But, HVBJB is like an engine failure, for many you can’t drive at all regardless the promises of a software update that should let you drive with it.

For context: I’m now on my fourth HVBJB (two times replaced, then broke twice after, whereas both with the “good” 2022 part).

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for all the detailed answers. So I have. 2023.5 GTPE. It has the new parts. But, I shouldn’t go crazy with flooring it. I should also not constantly use DC fast charging. Is that a good summary?

Also, is all DC charging rough on the part? I typically see 60 or so KWH when using the DC fast chargers near here.
No - drive it like you want! Fast or slow. Same with charging. Many people, like myself, still driving on the original part with no issues. I do not worry at all with the old part, am having the recall performed next month, and certainly will not worry with the replacement. The car does still have the detection software that predicts HVBJB failure and throws a SVS error while reducing available power which allows you to continue to drive.
Sponsored