Is the included mobile charger waterproof?

6AM

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e, Kia Telluride
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I was about to install a 240v outlet on the side of my house to connect the Ford mobile charger to and then it occurred to me that I don't even know if this thing is waterproof. In the Ford charging basics video, it shows it plugged in a garage and dedicated station being outside. Anyone know 100%?
Sponsored

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
I was about to install a 240v outlet on the side of my house to connect the Ford mobile charger to and then it occurred to me that I don't even know if this thing is waterproof. In the Ford charging basics video, it shows it plugged in a garage and dedicated station being outside. Anyone know 100%?
You need an outdoor box enclosing the 240V outlet, but otherwise it’s fine. Before I got my EVSE installed, I used the Ford mobile charger from my outdoor outlet and it even rained while connected. Everything was fine with both charger and the car.
I don’t think the Ford mobile charger is meant to be left outside, but for occasional use, seems ok.

Benny’66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach E GTPE
Occupation
Plant Manager
Country flag
The charger has an IP67 rating on the nameplate. Which means it can be dropped into a body of water up to 1 meter deep for half an hour. BUT, I would be very cautious with the plug connection (house, not vehicle end) being waterproof as well more so than the charger getting wet. Make sure to have a weatherproof 240 plug housing installed. And never plug or unplug in the rain.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The charger has an IP67 rating on the nameplate. Which means it can be dropped into a body of water up to 1 meter deep for half an hour. BUT, I would be very cautious with the plug connection (house, not vehicle end) being waterproof as well more so than the charger getting wet. Make sure to have a weatherproof 240 plug housing installed. And never plug or unplug in the rain.
Just to clarify, IP67 is a weatherproof designation, not a waterproof designation. Yes, that means it is fine in rain, snow, etc.

Benny’66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach E GTPE
Occupation
Plant Manager
Country flag
Just to clarify, IP67 is a weatherproof designation, not a waterproof designation. Yes, that means it is fine in rain, snow, etc.
Thanks, you are correct, it is an enclosure protection rating. The first number is for solid objects (primarily dust) and the second is liquid. So the 6 means it is completely protected from dust and the 7 (as I stated) means it can handle immersion and all liquid effects below the 7 rating, examples are strong jets of water in all directions, falling drops of water, etc.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Mine has been dangling on the side of the house about 2 months now. Not planning to leave it out much longer but it has been holding up and working fine.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
My mobile charger was plugged into an outdoor outlet and then my car overnight last night while I was at work. This cell came through:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Is the included mobile charger waterproof? 33863881-8283-4D7C-9AF6-E5D800FBD0BA

No problems with water intrusion at any connection nor interruption in the charging.
Sponsored